Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Last Sunday's Top Gear
Ninehigh

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Last Sunday's Top Gear

Since no-one else has...

Yeah it is getting somewhat childish now, either that or May's had a stupidectomy. Why put a flaming library in a car that rode too low for the roads to begin with?

I get the distinct impression they didn't buy them cars, I mean who didn't think "Why not a Subaru Forester, or Outback?"

Also I'd like to predict that the tv people will finally make someone drive the forfeit car by having Hammond's one blow up

puma931

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Same old format and now a load of crap!

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Since no-one else has...

Yeah it is getting somewhat childish now, either that or May's had a stupidectomy. Why put a flaming library in a car that rode too low for the roads to begin with?

I get the distinct impression they didn't buy them cars, I mean who didn't think "Why not a Subaru Forester, or Outback?"

Also I'd like to predict that the tv people will finally make someone drive the forfeit car by having Hammond's one blow up

designer

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
They have never done anything they say. It's TV, it's made up, it's rubbish.

By mistake they put in a shot of Clarkeson driving the Scorpio on Sunday.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
The sad fact is so much of what is on the telly is utter tosh. So is TG but at least it is utter tosh about cars!
40inches

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I think people are confusing Top Gear with a motoring programme.
It's become an entertainment programme, and as such has a much bigger viewer figure than it would otherwise.
It's the only "motoring" programme that all the family watch, it owes as much to motoring as wrestling does
to sport, choreographed and set up to the hilt.
But, you know what? I quite enjoy it. I must be weird

splitrivet

posted on 6/3/13 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I must be going senile as I enjoyed it and actually laughed out loud in places, they ought to give Hammond some acting lessons though.
A good show was beat the ancestors on channel 5 at 6ish on Sunday, which had shades of scrapheap about it and judging by the previews 5 has some good shows coming up.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

hughpinder

posted on 6/3/13 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
I treat it as entertainment. I find about 1 in 3 great (the south american one the other year for example), about 1 in 3 embarassing/bad taste (like bits of the one in India). I quite like the current one although I could have done without the silly bits of the customisation, and the presenters have to stick to their 'characters' - Captain slow =sensible, hammond = boy racer, clarkson=go for the least practical he can find.
Regards
Hugh

big_wasa

posted on 6/3/13 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I forgot it was even on.
steve m

posted on 6/3/13 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
"But, you know what? I quite enjoy it. I must be weird "

+1

Most of TV stuff is shite now or repeats, and i chuckled at TG as well, although i have to admit TG in general is shite

roadrunner

posted on 6/3/13 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Can some one tell me what I can watch instead on the free view channels, because I cant find a damn thing other than Top (so called) Gear.

[Edited on 6/3/13 by roadrunner]

maccmike

posted on 6/3/13 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
its the only soap I watch
blakep82

posted on 6/3/13 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
You mean these top gear threads that keep getting made on here. If you know you dont like it, dont watch it, and stop bitching about it every week

quote:
Originally posted by puma931

quote:
Since no-one else has...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

iank

posted on 6/3/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Or alternatively those that don't like TG bashing threads could not read them and ignore them if they don't like them
</irony>

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
You mean these top gear threads that keep getting made on here. If you know you dont like it, dont watch it, and stop bitching about it every week

quote:

quote:
Since no-one else has...

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jonabonospen

posted on 6/3/13 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
It is definitely an entertainment programme and not an informative motoring programme. If you want an informative motoring programme then watch Fifth Gear on Discovery as there is currently a new series being aired (Monday 8pm). Or you could go watch the new series of Wheeler Dealers on Discovery at 9pm on a Tuesday.

Back to Top Gear though....... it is getting a bit same-old-same-old, even with the game of giving others a stupid gift which they they carry with them...... why?........ it was funny first time they did it but now its just now funny. And the choice of cars for this latest special..... anyone with ANY car sense (which they supposedly have) when told they are doing a challenge in Africa, would not choose the silly pimped up / lowered / sporty versions of BMW's or that Volvo racing edition thing that the supposedly Mr Sensible Jame May choose. Only sensible one was the Subaru...... which when I saw Hammond giving it some hammer on those muddy lanes I was well impressed with its capability.

It is what it is, and regardless of its faults, I still enjoy watching it

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Surrey Dave

posted on 6/3/13 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Can't Wait!

It must have something I like............I can't wait 'til 8pm Sunday night and feel a bit worried about Sunday night without it!!!!!!!!!

Have tried to watch Fifth Gear but that really is dire, saw one the other day testing rear wheel drive vans , VBH was bemoaning the fact you could turn of traction control and get the back out!!!!!!!!!, It's a F******g delivery van , do you want your gear delivered in a van with the tail out at every corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding last Sunday TC, can you really get an '02' plate Subaru estate for £1500????

bob

posted on 6/3/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I enjoy it, light relief with a little humour before monday back at work.

If you dont like it watch something else....maybe final gear ot whatever its called, that will bore you.

zetec

posted on 6/3/13 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
My kids love it, probably the only programme they will make sure they watch and always looking forward to the next series. It must be very tricky finding a format that appeals to all the different groups of petrolheads in this country. Some bits are good, some funny and some rubbish but still better than most other programmes!

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

snakebelly

posted on 6/3/13 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
another vote hear for TG, watch it in the spirit its meant, light entertainment, i also am getting bored of "top gears rubbish" threads, as already said, if you dont like it dont watch it, if those that dont like it dont watch it then there wont be anyone left to start another thread in a week or so.
CNHSS1

posted on 6/3/13 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
for all those that hate it, dont watch it.

for all those that watch it but think its not as good as it used to be, watch an old TG before the Clarkson arsing about era.
Now william Woollard and Chris Goffey, that was a motoring show and a veritable cure for insomnia. A boredom and beardfest of immense proportions!

Whilst modern TG has cars on it, i think youd be a numpty to expect Which?-like consumer advice, its a fun programme that at least means us petrol heads are regarded by the masses as 'funloving car types like that Hammond bloke' rather than a 'train spotting, peado-estate agent that used to be a traffic warden' like the Daily Mail and most quarters paint the motorist.

Lesser ot two weavels me thinks...

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

40inches

posted on 6/3/13 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Wot he said ^^^^^^^^^^

Phil.J

posted on 6/3/13 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was interviewed by William Woollard many years ago on Top Gear when I was competing at Prescott. Sigh...those were the days.
(He was the show anchorman before it all went to the dogs with the current shower).

MikeRJ

posted on 6/3/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J
I was interviewed by William Woollard many years ago on Top Gear when I was competing at Prescott. Sigh...those were the days.
(He was the show anchorman before it all went to the dogs with the current shower).

If TG retained the incredible dullness of the format when William Woollard was around, the viewing figures would probably be in single digits by now.

I'm quite enjoying the Africa challenge, though possibly more due to the incredible scenery and beauty of Africa rather than the buffoons ruining a trio of unsuitable cars. The Vietnam episode is my favorite by a long way however.

morcus

posted on 6/3/13 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've not seen it mentioned, but thought it worth pointing out, this was made as a Christmas special, and theres something wrong with you if you want to watch serious consumer advise programs at that time.

Who cares that it's fake?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

whiz

posted on 6/3/13 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
volvo

The Volvo actually belonged to my mate who lives a few doors up from me. A producer from the BBC replied to his for sale add and paid the asking price no questions flew up from Bristol and drove it back via somewhere else to pick another car up. he was led to believe it would of been Jezza driving it. so no Jezza, Hammo and May dont buy them.
Andy

Ninehigh

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Or alternatively those that don't like TG bashing threads could not read them and ignore them if they don't like them
</irony>

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

quote:

quote:
Since no-one else has...

I didn't start it that way

I was just making a prediction (even though it's already filmed)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.