Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Open source android dashboard
Pdlewis

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Open source android dashboard

Morning,

With the huge reduction in the price of 7" tablets i have been wondering about creating a second dashboard with one. I wondered if anyone knew of any existing projects out there before I look at doing a scratch build because there is a lot of work to build an interface for the sender signals and the software side of it

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

40inches

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Some discussion here. Most I have seen use the CanBus/OBD2 for the interface, not what you need I think?

Slimy38

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
If you want to hook up to senders etc, I would probably suggest getting an Arduino dev board and the Amarino Android kit.
designer

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen this done on a home built plane in California. It had a two switchable displays, one for the engine/flight monitoring and a second for navigation.
It was a good piece of kit but, when I asked how it worked it all came across as gobble-de-guke. It's probably simple, but beyond me.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a megasquirt ecu it already exists in several flavours

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Pdlewis

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
unfortunately Im using the stock r1 engine management.

When i first thought of it i looked at the Amarino Android kit looks very nice and might be the best way to go. I have left this to the wrong time of year, I should really have looked at it when the nights were dark and cold

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

scudderfish

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
This may cut down on the interfacing work for you

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10748?

Steer clear of any thought of using Bluetooth, go for a USB based interface as it has much better latency characteristics and throughput.

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/3/13 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
If you do this with Arduino then go for the mega board because it has more inputs (hence more flexibility).

I'd worry a bit about how to deal with rev counter and speedo (fast triggers) owing to the way that the programming works (it is all sequential stuff). I had a speedo working fine, but not sure what would happen if a speedo trigger coincided with a tacho pulse.

The ADC's on Arduino are not that fast either.

But cheap and easy to play with.

Slimy38

posted on 7/3/13 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
If you do this with Arduino then go for the mega board because it has more inputs (hence more flexibility).

I'd worry a bit about how to deal with rev counter and speedo (fast triggers) owing to the way that the programming works (it is all sequential stuff). I had a speedo working fine, but not sure what would happen if a speedo trigger coincided with a tacho pulse.

Those ADC's are plenty fast enough, they can deal with kilohertz sampling rates. I've seen them working with video capture (albeit fairly blocky black and white images).

scudderfish

posted on 7/3/13 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr

The display will have some damping applied to it, otherwise it would change too fast to read. If done correctly it should be tolerant of a missed read or two.

Think of it this way, MSDroid, TunerStudio etc do a good simulation of a dashboard with an update rate no better than 25Hz. If your primary consumer is a pair of eyes (rather than a log file), this is fine even if you've potentially missed hundreds of potential reads in between.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.