Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oxygen & Acetylene Bottles
r1_pete

posted on 7/3/13 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Oxygen & Acetylene Bottles

The ressurgence of the brazed chassis thread has reminded me how much I miss the ability to braze, having given my oxy acetylene bottles up due BOC's theiving rates and penalties!

Does anyone know if any of the 'no contract' type gas suppliers do Oxygen and Acetylene? I've gad a google round and can't find anything, but it would be nice to get some low cost bottles for the occasions I need it....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theprisioner

posted on 7/3/13 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same problem, you can get Oxygen but BoC have a monopoly on Acetelene gas. The plant that makes it in Europe blew up so they import it from US I am told. You can use MAP gas but I have not found that in big cylinders (yet).
will121

posted on 7/3/13 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
if the acetylene is the issue is another option Oxy/Propane Brazing?
Not Anumber

posted on 7/3/13 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for MAP gas. It's easy enough to get hold of at least in small bottles for blowlamps. It's a lot hotter than npropane and only i think 40 degrees less than Acetelene if my memory serves me right.

theprisioner

posted on 7/3/13 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
This is a good link to help you make up your mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_flame_temperature

Oxy/Accetelene 3480degC
Oxy/MAPP 2927degC
Ocy/Propane 2526 deg C

Propane is almost 1000deg cooler than Oxy/Accetelene

However the original MAPP gas these figures were based on is no longer available but unfortunately the modern equivalant is not listed but is also called MAPP gas just to confuse us.

I have a small Oxy/MAPP kit I use for brazing small items and it is fantastic but I can only do stuff up to about 12mmdiameter I still keep the ridiculously priced Accetelene BoC bottle in combination with a no rtental Oxygen bottle that can be refilled once a year for £40.

r1_pete

posted on 7/3/13 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, a BOC acetylene and no rent Oxy seems the best way forward, it has the advantage I'll be able to gas weld too, along with MIG & TIG....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 7/3/13 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I 'bought' a set of bottles out of the local paper. I just exchange them at my local stockist which is also an engineering place and pay cash. No questions.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

bobthebuilder

posted on 7/3/13 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
have you tried air products, we use them at work because after boc plant blew up it was near impossible to get acet.
they are 3/4 size but hold the same as the big bottles as higher pressure. also they come with regulators built on.

not sure on costs though.

matty_64

posted on 7/3/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
hobbyweld do acetylene.1off deposit then just pay for refills.check their website for a local stockist
iank

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Some degree of caution as your insurance company may have issues with acetylene being stored in a domestic garage especially if it's connected to the house.

I've read somewhere (on here?) a rumour that if the fire brigade are called to a fire and are told there is oxyacetylene gear in the garage they'll pull everyone back till they hear the second loud bang before even trying to put it out.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

r1_pete

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all I'll follow the leads up.

I was looking at old receipts, my first rentals were £33 & £27 for 5 years, my last annual rental was over £100

Cheers.
Pete.

mackei23b

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Exclusion zone is 500 meters for a fire where there is acetylene present, I think?

quote:
Originally posted by iank
Some degree of caution as your insurance company may have issues with acetylene being stored in a domestic garage especially if it's connected to the house.

I've read somewhere (on here?) a rumour that if the fire brigade are called to a fire and are told there is oxyacetylene gear in the garage they'll pull everyone back till they hear the second loud bang before even trying to put it out.

[Edited on 7/3/13 by mackei23b]

r1_pete

posted on 8/3/13 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I had heard about the fire brigade being cautious, back in 88/89 when I first got the kit, my Mrs spoke with South Yorkshire Fire Service, and they weren't interested in offering advice or taking note such was on the property, they said at the time there was less danger from Oxy Acetylene than the Propane and Butane people keep for caravans etc. BOC offered no advice either...
paulix

posted on 13/4/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
hello everyone, i was told by a weldor some time ago that propane was viable substitute for acetylene. the figures i've got are.... oxygen/acetylene 3100 degrees, oxygen/propane 2820 degrees.... good enough for welding so more than enough for brazing?.. i've also just bought my first bottle of argon for tig welding from hobbyweld, and will very soon be replacing my argon co2 mix migging bottle with one from hobbyweld and closing my boc account, the anual rental is just too high for the occasional weldor. if i decide to fire up the gas torch again i will use propane and hobbyweld again for oxygen, all one off deposits then pay for what you use. also ( stating the bloody obvious i know) you get a deposit back if you no longer need the bottles, rental is dead money... another thing with acetylene, if you read the safe handling paperwork, is it requires a little respect when moving and handling, scares the bejesus out of me when i see some numpty lob a cylinder on its side in the back of a pickup truck!!!!!
trextr7monkey

posted on 13/4/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Local Blacksmith at Dalston near Carlisle closed the road (wellthe fire brigade did!!) for about 2 days after an acetylene bottle went up, it took half his house out as well!! I'm sure you will be able to find it via Google or the archives of that well known literary masterpiece "The Cumberland News" from Cumbrian newspapers.
We have a little brazing hearth at work which is great for small stuff, scares the hellout of the kids, too!
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Peteff

posted on 6/5/13 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulix
hello everyone, i was told by a weldor some time ago that propane was viable substitute for acetylene. the figures i've got are.... oxygen/acetylene 3100 degrees, oxygen/propane 2820 degrees.... good enough for welding so more than enough for brazing?.

You can't weld with propane it gives the wrong kind of flame, it just turns steel into coke and disintegrates it due to the excess carbon to hydrogen ratio or something. I have oxy acetylene which works and have tried oxy propane which doesn't work

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

coozer

posted on 7/5/13 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
I had a set in the garage and after I done my ADR gas safety course got rid of them double quick!

If you remember that fire under the M1 a while back the place was locked down for days while the fire brigade just fed a water jet on a ac bottle for 48 hours!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

v8kid

posted on 7/5/13 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Just discovered that hobyweld operate nationwide. Anyone used them? they don't give prices on the website which is a bit offputting any experiences?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.