Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tools - list and suppliers
softfeet

posted on 12/3/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Tools - list and suppliers

I am about to start buying tools in preparation of the build and wondered whether the list in the Haynes Roadster book is useful. Is there anything on it that you have found unnecessary or is there anything obvious missing? I already have the usual socket set, spanners, screwdrivers, etc. Are there any home made or 'unusual' tools (ooh err...) that you have found useful? Like a blob of Blu-Tack on a stick to retrieve things or cat litter to mop up spillages.

I an fortunate (!?) to live near a Halfords, a Screwfix, a Machine Mart and a B&Q. Any views on these as suppliers and brands such as Draper, Clarke, Halfords, Stanley, torq, etc?

Slimy38

posted on 12/3/13 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Loads of clamps. I think the Haynes mentions them, but not in what quantity. As I build things up I find myself wanting to clamp everything in place, and then frequently running out. My last set of clamps came from B&Q, a set of 3 for a fiver. The smallest one is useless, but the 2" and 3" are fine.
mcerd1

posted on 12/3/13 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Draper and Halfords pro are normally quite good value for normal tools like sockets and spanners - but keep you eyes open for offers to get them even cheaper

Clarke are definatly worth a look for any of the workshop equimpent (ie. air tools, engine cranes/stands, tool boxes......)
and the VAT free days help alot too

me and my brother both use draper pro sockets without any issues (and my brother is a pro mechanic) - they are a bit chunky and crude compared to snap-on but plenty strong enough
and you can always do the same as us and buy a good ratchet to go with a cheaper socket set (say a bluepoint one, snap-on's 'budget' brand) - its the only bit you really notice

as for special tools:

you'll want a torque wrench that can handle big things like hub nuts etc..

if your going to be riveting sheet metal you should get some cleco's (and the pliers for them) or other 'skin pins' like they use for aircraft assembly (ebay is a good source of these)
also Lazy tong rivet gun's are alot easier on your hands!

if your going to be doing eletrical work you'll want a ratchet crimp tool to suit the terminals you've got (see the recent thread)

holesaws (work out the sizes you need first) - careful with these, search some old threads here and you'll see the damage they can do to you if you let you guard down

I'm sure there is more....

[Edited on 14/3/2013 by mcerd1]

-

fesycresy

posted on 12/3/13 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Dremel, bought mine from B&Q for £30.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

perksy

posted on 12/3/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from all the required tools...

Dry wipe board to list any jobs that you might otherwise forget about.

Jiffy bags & containers to keep nuts & bolts and bits & bobs of the build together.

Some pictures of other nice 7's on the garage wall to keep you inspired when you come up against 'the wall' and start to loose a bit of interest.

Are you going to build on a chassis stand or on the floor ?

Build a chassis stand in the meantime if you don't have one as it'll make it a lot easier...

T66

posted on 12/3/13 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Earplugs/safety specs/ gloves -

Rivnut tool

Angle grinder/Drill

Cobalt Drills - trashed loads thinking I would get away with it buying cheap drills, buy cobalt ones to start with.

set of files - mine were cheapos and have actually been fine.

Sharpie pens

carlknight1982

posted on 12/3/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Rivnut tool from memfast

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

Slimy38

posted on 12/3/13 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66

set of files - mine were cheapos and have actually been fine.

I got a dozen or so second hand ones for a fiver off Ebay, the used old ones were far better than the home bargains ones that I'd started with. I just need to get some more handles as most were just the standard wrist-damaging spikes.

Totally agree on good quality drill bits, I bought hacksaw blades on the same idea and I'm still on the first one. I'd have used at least a dozen cheap ones by now.

T66

posted on 12/3/13 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how much space you have, but I have a small Clarke bench grinder, it has the sanding belt on one end, and I use that every time I'm in there. It's really handy.

andylancaster3000

posted on 12/3/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
As above, very happy with my halfords pro and draper expert stuff. Compare very well with some of the more expensive brands and particularly if you're not using them day-in-day-out to earn your keep...
adithorp

posted on 12/3/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
"... Is there anything on it that you have found unnecessary.."

There's no such thing as unnecessary tools.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Confused but excited.

posted on 12/3/13 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Lathe, it's oh so useful..
Drill press, so the holes are perpendicular and the correct size..
Sewing machine, for re-covering s/hand seats..
Kettle, so you don't have to keep going back in the house, because if she sees you, she'll find you something else to do.
More angle grinders.
Oh yes, a first aid kit. you'll find out why.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

mcerd1

posted on 12/3/13 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
fire extinguishers !

and make sure they are suitable for petrol etc...

-

nickm

posted on 13/3/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Black and Decker powerfile will save hours especially with fibreglass wait till machine mart have an offer on.
Sockets, spanners just make sure you buy when on offer somewhere and try the higher brand type ie Draper Expert are fine but Draper DIY type stuff wont last
Sometimes worth getting cheap aldi/lidl spanners that you can cut up or bend for specific hard to reach nuts etc so the good set remain the good set
If i was starting again and had deaf neighbours i would think about a compressor and air tools
Bright white painted garage

Hope this helps

Nick M

softfeet

posted on 15/3/13 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm now working on my shopping list!
serieslandy

posted on 15/3/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Welder
Angle grinder- 1mm slitting discs, flap discs, grinding discs
Compressor - windy gun, air riveter, blower, tyre inflator
Sockets, spanners- I've got draper expert and halfords pro but have been buying the odd snapon, couple offsets of the lidl ones. There so cheap you don't care if they break
Hand drill (Makita, dewalt, Bosch, decent make)
Hacksaw
Decent drills - I like dormer
Hole saws (the sets for £5) are ok for fibreglass
Clecos
Rivnut tool (mine is a silver line one worst make ever but it actually works)
Tap set, really only used m6 and m8

Later on
Axel stands
Trolley jack (lidls ones are ok and cheap)
Torque wrench
Engine hoist. Borrow, rent or buy

I'm sure there are lots more and you don't need it all at once but some of it is necessary.

Irony

posted on 15/3/13 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Bought all the tools for my build new and I have used in order of preference.

Angle Grinder - Bought a big Bosch one. If you buy the correct attachments it's amazing. Wire Bristles, disc both cutting and grinding. Flapwheels for sanding

Crosscut sliding mitresaw. Bought a Evolution Rage Pro from screw in the sale for 68+vat. Amazing value. I even at a later date bought a tile cutter blade for it and tiled the kitchen.

I have twin makita 12v battery drills and a cheap 240v drill. Awesome handy bits of kit.

Disgruntled karter

posted on 15/3/13 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Rivet Fan.......... .absolutely brilliant to get all those rivets nicely spaced
Disgruntled karter

posted on 15/3/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Oh and forgot My build stands are 2 builders 'bandstands' with locking casters fitted to them, great if you garage is not huge as you can push the car against the wall and work on the other side

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.