Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mnr vortex or roadrunner sr2
matty h

posted on 13/3/13 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
mnr vortex or roadrunner sr2

Which one of the above would people build, consider the better of the two.
Matty

franky

posted on 13/3/13 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
you'll get owners of each saying they think theirs is best.

I don't own either but think the roadrunner is a very very nice package.

theduck

posted on 13/3/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Not seen a roadrunner up close nor have I spoken to them. However I can say I was very impressed with the wuality of the MNRs I've seen and very impressed with their customer service.
RK

posted on 13/3/13 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Who is closest? Who has been easiest to talk to?

The Roadrunner looks better, but not necessarily in pictures. There is something odd about the MNR in person, that I can't get my head around.

busakid

posted on 13/3/13 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
car

mnr i have built two and chris and marc very good to deal with
Brett Jones

posted on 13/3/13 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I agree the MNR does look a bit odd at first, but it grew on me and that's why I ended up buying one. As to the distance to them (surrey) this hasn't been an issue as I can not fault their after sales support. What sold it for me was going to one of the shows and visiting every stand which made it a lot easier to compare them.

http://mnrvtecvortxbuild.blogspot.co.uk/

adithorp

posted on 13/3/13 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Not had dealings with either but if I was in the market for a 7esque I'd be taking a serious look at the SR2.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

richardm6994

posted on 13/3/13 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sr2! I have seen Terry's (tazzman) up close (the one featured in Ckc) and it is an extremely well designed and thought-through car.

Also talking to terry he has had tons of support from roadrunner during the build so they sound like a good company to buy from.

[Edited on 13/3/13 by richardm6994]

Pdlewis

posted on 14/3/13 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I like both of them,

Go with the closes, as you dont want to have to get every little part you didnt buy initially shipped to you

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

Slimy38

posted on 14/3/13 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Stoneleigh isn't that far away now, you could take a look at them? I did check them both last year, I got a better 'vibe' from the MNR guys. And these days it's not about the car it's about the service.
ashg

posted on 14/3/13 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
mnr are a very established company with a very high quality product and good customer service to back it up

road runner on the other hand are quite a young company, but also have a very good product, only time will tell how good their customer service as more people complete builds

personally for me the down side for me with the sr2 is that it is mx5 based which is ok if you want a reasonably quick car, i know they did a v8 version but it looked more than a bit tight in the engine bay and i didnt think the mx5 diff would like the abuse.

for the cost of building an mnr or sr2 i would seriously be looking at spending a tiny bit more(it really isnt that much if you work it out by total final build cost) and building a westfield especially now that they are offering the newer sport turbo chassis and suspension in normal kit form

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

franky

posted on 14/3/13 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with the above post, you'll loose 50% of your investment otherwise, maybe more.
rdodger

posted on 14/3/13 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Standard MX5 running gear will take over 250 bhp with no mods. That includes boosting the engine without having to open it up.

The 6 speed gearbox, diff etc don't complain with 350 bhp.

Would you be looking for more power than that?

I wouldn't dismiss the new MX5 based GBS. I had a look at the chassis at Donnington. It's very different to the Robin Hoods of old. Nice proportions for a 7 too.

[Edited on 14/3/13 by rdodger]

franky

posted on 14/3/13 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
thats if you want a boosted engine.
rdodger

posted on 14/3/13 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
thats if you want a boosted engine.

True

I was just pointing out that a previous post stated concern over how robust the 5 running gear is.

Truth is it will take pretty much whatever you throw at it. It's also more available and cheaper than the old Ford stuff.

Dare i say more suitable too in terms of weight and geometry?

ashg

posted on 14/3/13 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
im sure the mazda stuff will take a fair bit of abuse but the harder you work it the more likely it is to fail early

personally i try not to work on assumptions of what it will take before you kill it. If you work on what it was designed to take it is a much better calculation. sierra lsd was designed to run standard with 200bhp vs mx5 lsd 130bhp....... theory says the sierra lsd should be a more hardy unit based on the weight and power output of the donor vehicle.

the westfield kit is a bit more money but there is more in it, if you go for their comprehensive kit it comes with everything you need to have a car at the end of it (all brand new!) their basic starter kit is also pretty reasonably priced..

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

theduck

posted on 14/3/13 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
A gbs will cost more to build to a basic fonish than either an mnr or roadrunner would
rdodger

posted on 14/3/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
im sure the mazda stuff will take a fair bit of abuse but the harder you work it the more likely it is to fail early

personally i try not to work on assumptions of what it will take before you kill it. If you work on what it was designed to take it is a much better calculation. sierra lsd was designed to run standard with 200bhp vs mx5 lsd 130bhp....... theory says the sierra lsd should be a more hardy unit based on the weight and power output of the donor vehicle.

the westfield kit is a bit more money but there is more in it, if you go for their comprehensive kit it comes with everything you need to have a car at the end of it (all brand new!) their basic starter kit is also pretty reasonably priced..

I'm not assuming anything.

It's a fact that there are many mx5's running over 200bhp on standard running gear with no issues.

It's also a fact that there are several running over 300bhp on standard running gear with only uprated brakes and suspension.

It can only be more reliable in a 7 since it's little more than half the weight of the 5.

I have just had a look and a 2l Sierra is less than 100kg heavier than a mk2 mx5! That's progress for you!

[Edited on 14/3/13 by rdodger]

TimC

posted on 14/3/13 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'd probably be hassling Eddie to sell me an Elite Pulse.

daniel mason

posted on 14/3/13 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone driven the elite pulse in anger yet? looks a nice chassis!

matty h

posted on 14/3/13 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Would be looking a both companies mx5 based cars.Do no like the MNR nosecone but I think you can but the car with the old convensional nose. Will be going to Stoneliegh so will speak to both companies then with possible factory visits after.
Matty

daniel mason

posted on 14/3/13 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
go to donnington next saturday as mnr will be there in RGB. theres a few vortx's competing as well as LMP.

BigLee

posted on 14/3/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just buy a boosted MX5. You'll save £8-£10k, you'll have a roof and doors, won't go bald with stress of IVA, you can drive it straight away and on the road it'll make you smile just as much!! (In fact dont try smiling in an MNR with no windscreen at speed - it makes your face go wierd!) - or - like others have said, build a Westfield. Just my opinion of course, although its based heavily on experience.
amalyos

posted on 14/3/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be at Donnington, number 13 this year!!

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

daniel mason

posted on 14/3/13 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
hope its lucky for some ^^^^

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.