Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Pope --- seems good regular guy
britishtrident

posted on 14/3/13 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
New Pope --- seems good regular guy

As a confirmed Richard Dawkins atheist from a long line of Protestant Presbyterians I find it refreshing to see what seems like a really good guy getting the big job in Rome, he tells jokes and ad-libs ;-) I wish him well.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mookaloid

posted on 14/3/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Is this the guy who wants to have the British Citizens removed from the Falkland Islands against their right of self determination?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

britishtrident

posted on 14/3/13 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Is this the guy who wants to have the British Citizens removed from the Falkland Islands against their right of self determination?

As understand it he as been pain in the backside to the Argentine government, telling them not pursue their quest for power.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

scootz

posted on 14/3/13 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Wonder if he'll joke or ad-lib his way around his churches ongoing issues with bigotry, hypocrisy and the covering up of sexual-scandals?

It's Evolution Baby!

blakep82

posted on 14/3/13 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
"Pope Francis is a conservative who is anti-gay marriage and anti-gay adoption. He has described same-sex marriage as the work of the devil and a “destructive attack on God’s plan.” He has also said that gay adoption is a form of discrimination against children."

Lovely man...
I'm not gay, but but it didn't take him long to get up loads of peoples nose. If a child has been put for adoption, that child deserves all the love it can get. Who cares if its from two men, or two women?
He's the same as all the others as far as I'm concerned.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

plentywahalla

posted on 14/3/13 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I am not normally one for conspiracy theories, but knowing the catholic church well, having been brought up within its ranks, I could see this development coming.

Benedict XVI was an ultra conservative, anti gay, anti abortion, anti contraception etc. There had been a move toward liberalism in the 1960's under Pope John XXIII, and this had scared the ultra conservatives who have manoeuvred to keep themselves in power ever since.

There was no reason at all for Benedict to retire, he wasn't that frail. Popes have always died in office. The only precedent was Celestine V who had to change to rules to enable himself to resign, and that was because he never wanted to be pope in the first place. He was elected in his absence because he wasn't at the conclave as he wasn't a Cardinal. They couldn't agree on anyone else, so they dumped the job on him. He was a Hermit, not a cleric!

So why did Benedict resign? It was only an accident of history that there was a law within the church that enabled him to do so. Well here is where the conspiracy theory comes in.

All Cardinals lose their rights to vote in the Conclave once they reach the age of 80. The Ultra Conservatives could see that within the next few years they would lose the majority within the College of Cardinals. If Benedict survived until then a more liberal pope would get elected. So he stepped down and forced an election now.

And guess what. They elect a Jesuit. The Society of Jesus are the guardians of Catholic doctrine, they are not known as the SS or the Catholic Church for nothing!!

Incidentally, how many people know that Josef Goebbels was brought up in a Jesuit Seminary and was going to become a monk before joining Hitler's little band of brothers. Hitler himself acknowledged that he devoloped the rules and structures of the Nazi party based on the Jesuit model!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

mark chandler

posted on 14/3/13 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
He's only 76, I thought they liked them to be mid 80's so if they started to play up the rest of them could console themselves that in a couple of years a replacement was due anyway.

Nothing about Nazi or catholism surprises me, control the church and you control huge amounts of people in the poorer countries, nothing like a religious war to justify killing people.

If forced to worship anything it would be the sun god, it gives me something every day, 'life' more than you can say for the rest if them

Daddylonglegs

posted on 14/3/13 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
It's Jim Bowen!!

Description
Description

[Edited on 14/3/13 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

matt_gsxr

posted on 14/3/13 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
It's Jim Bowen!!

Description
Description

[Edited on 14/3/13 by Daddylonglegs]

Now that is a proper conspiracy theory

SteveWallace

posted on 14/3/13 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I had my money on Richard Dawkins and Brian Cox. I ony put a couple of quid on, but if either of them had got the job I could have bailed Greece out with my loose change.

I was going to apply, but apparently you have to be a Catholic rather than an atheist - I'm thinking of suing them on grounds of religeous discrimination.

whitestu

posted on 14/3/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
He's 76 and has one lung. They haven't exactly chosen a robust specimen!

Stu

parkiboy

posted on 14/3/13 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
We would be better without a pope an religion for that matter. Religion is a load of nutsack an has been one of the biggest causes of war.
coyoteboy

posted on 14/3/13 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
With enough time evolution will remove them if they keep picking such poor specimens

mark chandler

posted on 14/3/13 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
He's 76 and has one lung. They haven't exactly chosen a robust specimen!

Stu

I missed that, true to form then !!! They are sooooo predicable, homophobic control freaks

loggyboy

posted on 14/3/13 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by parkiboy
We would be better without a pope an religion for that matter. Religion is a load of nutsack an has been one of the biggest causes of war.

No, its been used (and still is used) as an EXCUSE to steel land, power, money and peoples.. If there was no religion peoeple would just use other excuses, skin colour, sex, age, orientation, the list is endless.

Mistral Motorsport

parkiboy

posted on 14/3/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by parkiboy

No, its been used (and still is used) as an EXCUSE to steel land, power, money and peoples.. If there was no religion peoeple would just use other excuses, skin colour, sex, age, orientation, the list is endless.

Ok yes I agree with that but it would cut down on alot of the extremist action in third world countries

loggyboy

posted on 14/3/13 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
You really think religion is the cause?, not just an excuse to be shitty to one an other, what about gang crime?

Mistral Motorsport

Wheels244

posted on 14/3/13 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
I had my money on Richard Dawkins and Brian Cox. I ony put a couple of quid on, but if either of them had got the job I could have bailed Greece out with my loose change.

I was going to apply, but apparently you have to be a Catholic rather than an atheist - I'm thinking of suing them on grounds of religeous discrimination.

I was thinking of applying too, but as I have absolutely no interest in sexually abusing young boys I thought it would rule me out.
Be interesting to see if he does anything about the filthy bastards that appear to rife in that ( and other ) area of 'religion'

[Edited on 14/3/13 by Wheels244]

Simon

posted on 14/3/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I do find it amusing that the catholic church doesn't approve of homosexuality, yet seems to have an awfully high percentage of pedos - just cos they are shagging children doesn't stop them being gay.

According to Marcus Brigstock's book, the God Collar, the resigned pope signed a doc to hide a couple of US pedos from the police which in my book makes him a pedo sympathiser at the very least (let alone an alledgedly ex nazi - what is it they say about leopards!!).

Funny also how the centres of both the catholic church and the mafia seem to be so close together - conincidence?

The church is responsible for so much unnecessary suffering, misery, poverty, war and depravity, if they were bankers they'd be pilloried. You only have to see the wealth of the church to see they are more interested in keeping the cash rather than putting it to good causes - like rj's for the third world, or even providing an unbiased education

Still, if there is a god (whose partical they confirmed today btw) he's probably mighty pissed with the people running the church and I'm rather amused that quite a lot of these individuals may be going to hell (another catholic invention).

As I said in another thread a while back, if you believe there is a god, I really don't think you need to belong to an organisation who makes several billion dollars a year from money taken from church taxes ffs. I'm sure it will be grateful for your grovelling irrespective of where you do it. Look up church taxes in most of the world. And if you're an atheist, the government keeps the money rather than pass it on.

I wish the pope all the best, cos the church is in one hell of a state afaic.

ATB

Simon

02GF74

posted on 15/3/13 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSz_-VU9Lg8&feature=player_embedded

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APNrGF7px7c

[Edited on 15/3/13 by 02GF74]

Not Anumber

posted on 15/3/13 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
He seems a nice enough bloke.
The conspiracy theories about the previous Pope's resignation are interesting if a bit Dan Brown. I think he was just consious that to regain people's trust he'd need to spend the next few years cleaning up the Church's act and just felt he no longer had the health, focus and energy to provide that level of leadership.

T66

posted on 19/3/13 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hahhahahah - I love this forum ! We are a diverse lot arent we .......

Ninehigh

posted on 19/3/13 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
He seems a nice enough bloke.
The conspiracy theories about the previous Pope's resignation are interesting if a bit Dan Brown. I think he was just consious that to regain people's trust he'd need to spend the next few years cleaning up the Church's act and just felt he no longer had the health, focus and energy to provide that level of leadership.

I guess being a former Hitler Youth doesn't help those matters either!

RK

posted on 19/3/13 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I think ONE person defended the church, sort of. They are kind of like the Queen: an anachronism, who is part of this: "there are better people out there than you" line of thought, although we all know we are ALL capable of our own greatness. We built cars from the worst customer serviced companies in existence, didn't we??

So the question is: what sort of mayhem is unleashed when you get rid of these institutions? I say keep them, as they are the known, rather than the unknown, potentially even more destructive, alternatives. Plus, I like a good visit to Rome. It's nice and warm there, and people are nice.

Strontium Dog

posted on 20/3/13 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
I think ONE person defended the church, sort of. They are kind of like the Queen: an anachronism, who is part of this: "there are better people out there than you" line of thought, although we all know we are ALL capable of our own greatness. We built cars from the worst customer serviced companies in existence, didn't we??

So the question is: what sort of mayhem is unleashed when you get rid of these institutions? I say keep them, as they are the known, rather than the unknown, potentially even more destructive, alternatives. Plus, I like a good visit to Rome. It's nice and warm there, and people are nice.

And what sort of mayhem exactly do you think might be unleashed and what terrible alternative? Science?

It's the people that think they need a god to to keep them from murdering and pillaging that worry me! I'm an atheist and I don't feel the urge to kill or rape anyone but it does seem from what they say that without the fear of hell a lot of christians out there would run amok!

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.