Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is OSB waterproof?
James

posted on 14/3/13 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Is OSB waterproof?

Greetings,

Long time, no post! That's the problem with actually having a job- stops me getting anything fun done!

I'm custom building my own shed. I'm trying to build it both as securely and aesthetically pleasingly as possible.

However, the back panel of it will be largely hidden by dint of the shed being up against a fence. Therefore, rather than being clad in shiplap like the other 3 sides I was thinking something else.

Rather than shiplap or feather edging I had ideas of using sheets of OSB that I then covered using roofing felt. This would protect the OSB from weather etc.

However someone's told me that OSB is waterproof so could be used uncovered. Therefore saving buying a sheet of pricey roofing felt.

Can you use OSB externally? What about if painted/treated?

What else could I use instead of the OSB? It needs to be waterproof, secure and cheap.

Thanks,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

sdh2903

posted on 14/3/13 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
You can get exterior osb but it will still swell eventually.It's not that cheap either especially when you factor in the felt. I would go with exterior ply with a coat of treatment or varnish.

macc man

posted on 14/3/13 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I built my shed against a brick wall. I used cheap plywood covered in green mineral felt. This turned out to be more durable than the shiplap timbers, most of which have been replaced. It has been up about 12 years now.
JoelP

posted on 14/3/13 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Not waterproof in terms of long term exposure. Id call it resistant, same as marine ply.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

LoMoss

posted on 14/3/13 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
only the glue is waterproof. Well, that's what the bloke in the timber merchants said.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 14/3/13 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Not waterproof in terms of long term exposure. Id call it resistant, same as marine ply.

I thought marine ply was waterproof - I've got a plan to make my own shed and was planning on using marine ply for the sides.

(its a modular construction based around 8x4 sheets of ply so can easily be build in pieces and expanded at a later stage .... just need the time to build it)

Volvorsport

posted on 15/3/13 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
its waterproof if it doesnt leak ?

no wood is water resistant and especially osb... , id even use brazillian ply over osb if you cant get marine ply .

grp on the other hand is waterproof from the get go ...

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Bare

posted on 15/3/13 at 02:54 AM Reply With Quote
NO ! NO ! NEVER Use Oriented Strand Board for Anything.
Garbage is the best/only descriptor. I say that, despite that a friend of mine 'invented' the crap... true.
There are now laws restricting it's use.. in it's birthplace: BC Canada.
The glued together wood shavings absorb moisture from the atmosphere.. even indoors and subsequently swells, usually dramatically, in thickness. This does bad things to fits and any overlayments.
When used in semi exterior situations ie; sheathings under siding/ stucco the crap Really swells, then starts to Rot.. causing genuine grief.. but even worse; promoting Mold growth.
Astoundingly the US market house builders perceiving this as a cheaper alternate to plywood (which has None of the above faults) have demand bid the price up beyond that of plywood.
No one can make this stuff up.. it's just too stupid.

trikerneil

posted on 15/3/13 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
My half OSB shed has been up over ten years now, I painted it with some sort of waterproofer when I built it and it has been OK.

I have had to replace the roofing felt a couple of times and the door (also OSB) is getting a bit scabby now.

HTH

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 15/3/13 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I built mine with Marine ply over both sides of a frame to make a double skin wall, and then clad the outside with shiplap to make it look less secure and curious. Its been up 5 years now, and no problems at all, though the hawthorn bushes are starting to invade slightly.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.