Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4A-GE application - Gearboxes
thetankwad

posted on 21/3/13 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
4A-GE application - Gearboxes

I'm considering throwing a 4AGE in my Locost. Naturally, a 4age would be a cracking choice, and i think i may get enough out of a MK1 MR2 to keep the original plate, but naturally the gearbox will need swapped. Other than the T50 Corolla hens teeth gearbox, are there any other longitude gearboxes that are common enough to get cheap? I know RAW do the adapter but im thinking of options closer to the lower end budget.

Also, think i could keep the MK1 MR2 plate if i could use one as a donor? How much of it owuld need to be used for a Locost if i changed the box but kept as much of the rest? Anyone considered these as an option?

--Lets get down to Business!--

D Beddows

posted on 21/3/13 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a 4AGE buy the adaptor - there is no cheap alternative gearbox and making a bellhousing (although far from impossible) is a huge faff.

4AGE's are good engines if a little long in the tooth for easy/cheap parts tbh - but if you aren't willing to buy the adaptor I'd use something else, there are equally good and more modern engines which will be a lot easier to use

rick q

posted on 21/3/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Which 4AGE are you looking at?

I've had both the smallport 16V and 20 valve silvertop in mine. Either the Silvertop or the later Blacktop would be brilliant in my opinion.

I've got a T50 on mine but many here in Oz use an adapter for the Type 9 - it probably comes down to what's most available where you are. Those with Type 9's tend to use concentric slave cylinders [from a SAAB I think] and these appear to require very accurate setting up to be happy.

DavidM

posted on 21/3/13 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
You won't be able to keep the MR2 plate. If you use two major components from the MR2 then you may be able to get an age related plate subject to meeting any other criteria, otherwise it will be a Q plate. Major components are engine, gearbox, axle etc. Whatever you do the car will need to pass an IVA test prior to registration.
There are guidance leaflets available from DVLA.

David

Proportion is Everything

thetankwad

posted on 22/3/13 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
Well, I was looking at a basic 4A from a mk1 mr2. Plenty of those around that are rotten, so could be picked up cheap. Fairly hard wearing mechanicals too, but its looking like it may be a bit more hassle than its worth.

Will look at the DVLA rules about how much needs to remain fr an age related plate. I figured the brakes, hubs, steering rack etc could be reused, but the box and axle will most likely need changed so might mean a lot of work for an idea that won't.

Slimy38

posted on 22/3/13 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thetankwad

Will look at the DVLA rules about how much needs to remain fr an age related plate. I figured the brakes, hubs, steering rack etc could be reused, but the box and axle will most likely need changed so might mean a lot of work for an idea that won't.

If you're likely to change the drivetrain, chances are the original hubs etc won't fit either so you'll end up changing those anyway. Which makes a Q plate even more likely. I don't think the engine and the steering rack would be considered as two major components!

Is it purely price and Jap reliability that is leading you towards this engine?

I'm guessing because you've not done the registration thing yet you're still at the build stage, so have you considered putting it in the back of the car? It might need a bit of chassis rearrangement but you'd be able to use a lot more of the donor in that configuration.

thetankwad

posted on 23/3/13 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I know the mk1 mr2 well, so i was leaning towards it for simplicity too. In all fairness, the more i consider it the further it goes from simplicity.

Really want a traditional build, so a front rear layout is the only way for me. I think an MX5 based build will be the only way to do it in budget. Still, it was worth considering...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.