Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT 2013 rules and Fixed Seats
RichN

posted on 23/3/13 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
MOT 2013 rules and Fixed Seats

Any MOT testers out there?

I have been reading the new MOT rules for 2013 and am worried about the "seat position rule". My first MOT is due later in the year.

Rule 3 in section 6.2 of the MOT manual MOT Manual states "Check that the drivers seat position can be adjusted forwards and backwards and secured in the selected positions", the reason for failure is "The drivers fore and aft adjustment mechanism not functioning as intended".

In my Sylva Riot I have fixed the seats in position and they have no adjustment and no adjustment mechanism.

So will this be ok because the reason for failure is that the mechanism is not functioning and I don't have one?

In the information section it states that "Original Design Characteristics are to be accepted", surely this is the original characteristics.

What do the collective think? There will be lots of us with fixed seats.

loggyboy

posted on 23/3/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
It only counts if its supposed to move. If its intentionally and permanently fixed it should pass.

Mistral Motorsport

chaddy44

posted on 23/3/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichN

I have been reading the new MOT rules for 2013 and am worried about the "seat position rule". My first MOT is due later in the year.

Rule 3 in section 6.2 of the MOT manual MOT Manual states "Check that the drivers seat position can be adjusted forwards and backwards and secured in the selected positions", the reason for failure is "The drivers fore and aft adjustment mechanism not functioning as intended".

In my Sylva Riot I have fixed the seats in position and they have no adjustment and no adjustment mechanism.

So will this be ok because the reason for failure is that the mechanism is not functioning and I don't have one?

In the information section it states that "Original Design Characteristics are to be accepted", surely this is the original characteristics.

Any car presented to me constructed the same would pass the mot !!

however i would issue an advise that no seat adjustment mechanism was fitted at time of test

hope this helps

chaddy

snapper

posted on 23/3/13 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
MOT rule changes are not retrospective
So if it was built to the regulations of the time its not a problem
If mot regs change and IVA do not you are clear as you passed the required standard at the time

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

loggyboy

posted on 23/3/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
MOT rule changes are not retrospective
So if it was built to the regulations of the time its not a problem
If mot regs change and IVA do not you are clear as you passed the required standard at the time

Yes because all departments always talk to each other and work together....

Mistral Motorsport

DRC INDY 7

posted on 24/3/13 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichN

If you read this again you have answered your own question

"Check that the drivers seat position can be adjusted forwards and backwards and secured in the selected positions", the reason for failure is "The drivers fore and aft adjustment mechanism not functioning as intended"

As above the reason for failure is when the mechanism does not work as intended.

So given that your seats or mine to that fact have no mechanism then its a pass.

I am a mot tester, it used to say so in my thread feeds, but some people on here thought i was trying to show off my credentials.

[Edited on 3/24/2013 by DRC INDY 7]

RichN

posted on 24/3/13 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your replies. I thought that that would be the case.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.