Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone with a Lathe?
chris_harris_

posted on 24/3/13 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone with a Lathe?

Morning all.
In an attempt to get the winter mods finished before the spring finally arrives, I am changing to a QR steering wheel.

Following other threads and for safety, i need a sleeve making up but dont have a lathe, anyone able to help please?

Dimentiosn would be 19mm id. 25mm od and about 35 - 40mm long, unless anone has any better ideas of course?

Beer tokens waiting?

Chris

Regards Chris

tegwin

posted on 24/3/13 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I can possible help if I have the material kicking about..

What Material does it need to be made out of? And what sort of tolerances are you working to?

Any images of what you are trying to do so we can see if there might be a better way?

[Edited on 24/3/13 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

chris_harris_

posted on 24/3/13 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you. just looking at mild steel, and not too tight on tolearnces on the outside, but the inner id at 19mm is reasonably tight. Its a sleeve to go over the slug, once the column has been ground down to 19mm od, and then that slides inside the Slug. The sleeve goes over both the column and slug as belt and braces for the column to be welded at each end, and then drilled through and welded again for safety?
Does that make sense?

Regards Chris

tegwin

posted on 24/3/13 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Will go out to the workshop in a bit and see what material I have...

Not 100% sure I understand you... Are you trying to connect two pieces of steering shaft using a sleeve and welding?

If so I would chamfer off the mating ends and butt weld them together, then grind the weld down, slide sleeve over and weld both ends of the sleeve to the shafts.... I would not drill as this would leave a void in the center of the shaft!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

chris_harris_

posted on 24/3/13 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you, and yes that is what i am trying to do, so thank you for the advice, there seems to have been lots of different people doing different things with this one. The steering shaft is hollow, which is interesting too.

Please let me know how many beer tokens and i will send across.

Chris

Regards Chris

DarrenW

posted on 25/3/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen a guy nearly sacked for doing this.

If it was me with the lathe, I would ask somebody to send a sketch with tolerances of what was needed and wouldn't dare to ask for what purpose. Original shaft is unlikely to be standard mild steel. Don't take chances with steering shafts, unless you like wearing brown trousers

Peteff

posted on 25/3/13 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Original Ford shaft is mild steel, I found a piece of compressor pipe that was a perfect fit when I did mine.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.