Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: toothed wheel positioning
Valtra

posted on 1/4/13 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
toothed wheel positioning

Hi all I'm rabidly trying to get my engine back together and Microsquirt installed ready for Stoneleigh but it's now looking doubtful without some serious midnight oil burning , but I'm trying .

could you please look at these pics and confirm I'm on the right track with positioning my toothed wheel on the crank pulley

cheers

[Edited on 1/4/13 by Valtra]

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

Jed

posted on 1/4/13 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I do hope you're right because the logic you followed is exactly what I did last week, but I'm a while away from testing it. However, do check that the Microsquirt ECU is expecting the VR sensor to be in the middle of the missing tooth gap. On my DTA ECU the position is based on the trailing edge of the first tooth past the missing tooth.
dave_424

posted on 1/4/13 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you just adjust the number 1 tooth offset in the software with a timing light to make sure that the engine is and the position that the ECU expects it to be?

This is how it is done on megasquirt anyway

Valtra

posted on 1/4/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
Can't you just adjust the number 1 tooth offset in the software with a timing light to make sure that the engine is and the position that the ECU expects it to be?

This is how it is done on megasquirt anyway

Is that aimed at the original post or the reply ?

dave_424

posted on 1/4/13 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Urm it's relevant for both, I didn't think that you had to have the missing tooth in a specific orientation to TDC, I know that because whilst cranking engine speed changes due to compression strokes so best to not have the missing tooth at TDC because the sync of the ECU might get lost.

Dave

Valtra

posted on 1/4/13 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ok Thanks, I think. The instructions I remember reading said that for a 4 cylinder engine the missing tooth should be 9 teeth advanced from tdc , i.e 90 degrees . then the ecu should sort out the correct timing for the revs and load

dave_424

posted on 1/4/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltnITRf5aN8&list=UUXIVbfrFxQ_cV-coPaaD9SQ

he goes through setting the tooth offset which is something that you adjust the ignition timing that the ECU thinks that it is versus what is the actual timing.

It's explained from about 7 minutes onwards

This video also shows him doing it on his engine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EN0RRNKprQ&list=UUXIVbfrFxQ_cV-coPaaD9SQ

A great amount of well explained information on that youtube channel

coozer

posted on 1/4/13 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
This for a V8 but gives you a good idea of where it should be..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Valtra

posted on 1/4/13 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
This for a V8 but gives you a good idea of where it should be..

yes so for a v8 it's the 5th tooth before TDC and then you'd fine tune it with a strobe to fire at 10degree BTDC and correlate that with the screen reading .

old_timbo

posted on 2/4/13 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Your set-up looks correct to me. However make sure your timing marks are visible and you can strobe them once the engine is running. If you are using Tuner Studio to tune you can temporarily fix the timing at a convenient figure and then adjust the trigger angle offset to get the timing to exactly match the marks. There is a lot of adjustment available so you could be several teeth out and still be able to correct it - might make it tough to get the engine to start in the the first place though!
Valtra

posted on 2/4/13 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by old_timbo
Your set-up looks correct to me. However make sure your timing marks are visible and you can strobe them once the engine is running. If you are using Tuner Studio to tune you can temporarily fix the timing at a convenient figure and then adjust the trigger angle offset to get the timing to exactly match the marks. There is a lot of adjustment available so you could be several teeth out and still be able to correct it - might make it tough to get the engine to start in the the first place though!

Thanks

blakep82

posted on 2/4/13 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
as long as that engine is set to TDC in that photo, then it all looks good to me!

regarding the mention of correcting it in the software, if you find that for some reason, your missing tooth isn't exactly in the right place, the software (megajolt does anyway, i expect the megasquirt software will be the same if not better) allowed you to set a correction of +/- 5 degrees. so if the ignition is expecting the edge of a tooth, and you've set to the middle or the other way around, then you can correct by up to 5 degrees either way

tuner studio might have more adjustment, i don't know. but you can be slightly out without worrying too much

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Valtra

posted on 3/4/13 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
as long as that engine is set to TDC in that photo, then it all looks good to me!

regarding the mention of correcting it in the software, if you find that for some reason, your missing tooth isn't exactly in the right place, the software (megajolt does anyway, i expect the megasquirt software will be the same if not better) allowed you to set a correction of +/- 5 degrees. so if the ignition is expecting the edge of a tooth, and you've set to the middle or the other way around, then you can correct by up to 5 degrees either way

tuner studio might have more adjustment, i don't know. but you can be slightly out without worrying too much

Yes set at TDC . and thanks that sounds sensible , as expected. so long as it starts then the timing should be easy enough to set up.

Jed

posted on 3/4/13 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
And thanks from me - it seemed the logical way to do it but I've had a few brain fade moments lately on my 4AGE Midget project that I'm starting to doubt myself.
whitestu

posted on 3/4/13 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
M sure you can adjust the bracket, then if you get the trigger wheel slightly wrong you can correct it by moving the pick up.

Stu

Valtra

posted on 3/4/13 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
M sure you can adjust the bracket, then if you get the trigger wheel slightly wrong you can correct it by moving the pick up.

Stu

Yes the Sensor is in a slotted hole . Thanks

Valtra

posted on 3/4/13 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jed
And thanks from me - it seemed the logical way to do it but I've had a few brain fade moments lately on my 4AGE Midget project that I'm starting to doubt myself.

Here here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.