Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Young driver insurance scam
madteg

posted on 2/4/13 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Young driver insurance scam

Have been trying to insure my daughters 1.6 Astra, having quotes from £1500 to £2300 as she is 21 and had her licence fore 3 years we decided it was to dear. Then got told by a friend that if you put your mum and dad on the policy as a named driver it will go down. We did and the quote was £480 pounds don't know why but try it and see, ( just had to let people know.)
bi22le

posted on 2/4/13 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yup i stumbled across this when i was about 18 which was 20 year ago
i was told recently that they not wise to this so consider yourself lucky.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

monck

posted on 2/4/13 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm interesting im 22 my insurance aint to bad now but with the 7 and a road car insured if doing that will bring it down ill give it a go
Westy1994

posted on 2/4/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing new there, been happening for ages, the idea is of course is that the risk has now lowered because there are 'more experienced' drivers covered, despite the fact I bet no parent would drive their childs car on a regular basis. I see it as a scam as well.
blakep82

posted on 2/4/13 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
not a scam, but a legal loophole. all perfectly ok, and something i've been doing for many many years

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/4/13 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I put my wife on my policy and it dropped by over £100 despite the fact that she'd had 2 accidents in the last 5 years. Absolute madness!?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

steve m

posted on 2/4/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I still put my Mum on my tintop policy (manual car), and saves me at least £50-75 a year

Shes 74, and hasnt driven a manual car in 25 years

Oh, and im 53 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zilspeed

posted on 2/4/13 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance is a lottery.

Our Passat TDI is roughly £260 a year or so.

The MGF is £120.

If that makes sense, I don't know how.

deezee

posted on 2/4/13 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
This is allowed, HOWEVER if you have yourself as the main driver of the car, the additional driver is occasional use only. So if they crash and all the fluffy toys / mp3 collection makes the insurance believe that the daughter was the main user, they might refuse to pay out.

mookaloid

posted on 2/4/13 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
My daughter added her mother to her policy - it is very clear that my daughter owns the car and that she is the main driver but adding her mother reduced the premium by about 30%

Interestingly adding me (I'm 51) to my dad's policy (he's 75) reduced his premium by about £100

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Slimy38

posted on 2/4/13 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
This is allowed, HOWEVER if you have yourself as the main driver of the car, the additional driver is occasional use only. So if they crash and all the fluffy toys / mp3 collection makes the insurance believe that the daughter was the main user, they might refuse to pay out.

You're absolutely right, but that's not what the OP is saying. Adding the parent as the additional driver and keeping the child as the main driver can still reduce the price to a manageable level.

Me and my wife are on each others policies, it drops mine by about £20 but makes no difference to hers. I guess our insurance risks are very similar.

dmac

posted on 2/4/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance for youngsters is a total lottery, I've just insured my daughter for a 1.4 astra, she is 17 and still learning so I added my wife and myself as named drivers,

Third party only starting 1st April - £730

Third party fire and theft starting 1st April - £638

Third party fire and theft starting 30th March (the day we picked up the car) - £718

needless to say she had to wait until Monday to drive it herself.

If you're looking at this for yourself it may be worth moving the dates a bit to see what happens.

Duncan

vanepico

posted on 2/4/13 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Seeing as my car is parked on my parent's driveway I think it is a good thing for putting them on the insurance so they can move it...... and it halved my insurance! I'm still 20 and it got a pug 206 down to £700

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

coozer

posted on 2/4/13 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yer knar what?

I added business to my policy and the renewal went down £40.. I noticed the kept over night bit was on the drive.. so changed that to garaged.. it went UP £60!

As said, insurance is indeed a lottery!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coyoteboy

posted on 3/4/13 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Insurance is a lottery.

Our Passat TDI is roughly £260 a year or so.

The MGF is £120.

If that makes sense, I don't know how.

Insurance isn't just about car value or risk from performance. Keep in mind that a Passat d is bigger, heavier and will do a lot more damage to a 3rd party vehicle if hit. You can see large premium hikes purely because of the number of items listed as low speed impact replacement items like headlight washer units or if the car rad is closer to the bumper than on other cars.

iank

posted on 3/4/13 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmac
Insurance for youngsters is a total lottery, I've just insured my daughter for a 1.4 astra, she is 17 and still learning so I added my wife and myself as named drivers,

Third party only starting 1st April - £730

Third party fire and theft starting 1st April - £638

Third party fire and theft starting 30th March (the day we picked up the car) - £718

needless to say she had to wait until Monday to drive it herself.

If you're looking at this for yourself it may be worth moving the dates a bit to see what happens.

Duncan

Be careful with TPFT insurance as it's often more expensive than comprehensive these days (didn't used to be when I started driving 20+ years ago). I think the reasoning is that it's the only insurance a lot of very risky people can get (coming back from DUI and long bans) so the statistics don't look good to the mathmatical models insurance companies use. Certainly worth getting both sets of quotes if you need cheap insurance.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

gremlin1234

posted on 3/4/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmac
she is 17 and still learning

prices go UP when they pass, and can drive independently.

Westy1994

posted on 3/4/13 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
What isn't helping is the kids that feature on the BBC program 'barley Legal Drivers' , sort of fly on wall thing with not so hidden cameras, the parents get to see what their driving was like and you really need to see some of it to see why premiums are so high.

ETA

BBC3 Catchup Link

[Edited on 3/4/13 by Westy1994]

vanepico

posted on 4/4/13 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994
What isn't helping is the kids that feature on the BBC program 'barley Legal Drivers' , sort of fly on wall thing with not so hidden cameras, the parents get to see what their driving was like and you really need to see some of it to see why premiums are so high.

ETA

BBC3 Catchup Link

[Edited on 3/4/13 by Westy1994]

Bristol scared the stuffing out of me when I went there! Just a random traffic light junction with no clear place for you to stop, there was a hashed yellow box infront of it, before I knew where the hell I was I was past the lights :/ Oh and that multi storey car park!

I'm a very confident driver, not unsafe but that took the biscuit!

Oh and bbc 3 always use the exact same song repeated over and over again on all their documentaries!

[Edited on 4/4/13 by vanepico]

coyoteboy

posted on 4/4/13 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair I've driven all over the UK (and many parts of europe) and by far the worst driving Ive seen has been around Bristol/Bath - it's hyper-aggressive, to the point of mania, but I didn't find the road network too bad to deal with - pretty well signed and laid out? From someone more used to the slow and (and often dangerous but so slow it's avoidable!) pace of Glasgow traffic it comes as a shock every time I visit - feel like I'm being driven off the road by morons wanting to save 5 seconds.

morcus

posted on 4/4/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Having been in Bristol since september I'm surprised to hear people having so much problem with driving here, it's much easier than the south east, much less agressive. There are alot of weird junctions and traffic signals and far too many roundabouts with signals (Usually on some but not all of the exits) but most of the time people here stop to let you pull out of turnings or to change lanes. With Bath though I totally agree with you, driving there is crazy, as is walking due to the crazy drivers (Last time I went to Bath I was almost run over on a pavement).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

vanepico

posted on 4/4/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I got an overwhelming sense of their being more cars than parking spaces in bristol, almost like everyone was going around the block to try and find a space!

I was down meeting a mate at uni and gave his housemate a lift to the station (chivalry still at large!), ended up going around an oval shaped roundabout because some yucky pink honda jazz wouldn't let me change lanes! Then when I was stuck at some traffic lights on said roundabout some 'head up his arse' policeman comes up behind blues and twosing expecting me to run over pedestrians crossing to get out his way! Then we went to a shopping centre and nearly burnt my clutch out going up and down the multistorey . Wasn't a good first impression haha

I suppose the same is true in portsmouth (the islandy bit) which has far too many cars driving around seeing as you can walk from one side t'other in less than an hour! Although I've had two years cycling and walking around so I know the general road layout etc.

[Edited on 4/4/13 by vanepico]

cps13

posted on 22/4/13 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
It makes sense if you think about it...

If you take out an insurance policy and state that you will do 10,000 miles a year, then add a parent as a named driver. The formula for working out the cost takes into account the fact that the named driver will be covering a proportion of those 10,000 miles and as a "safer" driver brings the quote down.

As said earlier, the other way round is known as "fronting" and both parent and child face motoring and criminal prosceutions. That said, I know people who have done it and got away with it!

One of the big factors towards insurance cost is how easy the car is to steal... Maybe Passats are easy to steal!

Ninehigh

posted on 22/4/13 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cps13
Maybe Passats are easy to steal!

Oh no, with a Passat it's a big car and you can do more damage when you decide to wreck it (which given some quotes I've had the insurance companies must think that's what I'm aiming to do)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.