<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ex-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies, aged 87
Jasper

posted on 8/4/13 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Ex-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies, aged 87

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

[Edited on 8/4/2013 by ChrisW]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

mookaloid

posted on 8/4/13 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
She was a great leader and just what the country needed at the time.

She did great things for this Country and I think that calling her names at this point is in very poor taste.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

scudderfish

posted on 8/4/13 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
It is as valid to express displeasure in someone in death as in life. Given that people spend more time dead than alive, it's more likely as well. She divided the country, and years on there are still very strongly held opinions on whether that was a good or a bad thing. Her death does not mean that some of those opinions are now less worthy or should not be mentioned.
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/4/13 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Elvis Costello "Tramp the dirt down" was a strongly worded song about Mrs T
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t4-zDem1Sk

[Edited on 8/4/13 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

tomprescott

posted on 8/4/13 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

She did great things for this Country and I think that calling her names at this point is in very poor taste.

Well at least she won't be turning in her grave, after all, the lady's not for turning!

Seriously though, even though I think she did a pretty fantastic job and that a lot of our current issues would be solved if the last few governments had followed through with the precedent she set, I also have to agree with the comments above - the death of a person should not have an impact on the way you treat them (presumably OP would have called her names if she had come up under other circumstances!?)
ETA: You heard that joke here first!

[Edited on 8/4/13 by tomprescott]

A bird in the hand....

mookaloid

posted on 8/4/13 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

Well at least she won't be turning in her grave, after all, the lady's not for turning!

Seriously though, even though I think she did a pretty fantastic job and that a lot of our current issues would be solved if the last few governments had followed through with the precedent she set, I also have to agree with the comments above - the death of a person should not have an impact on the way you treat them (presumably OP would have called her names if she had come up under other circumstances!?)
ETA: You heard that joke here first!

[Edited on 8/4/13 by tomprescott]

Well I have no issue with free speech etc but does the insult have to be the title of the thread?

Perhaps out fo respect the OP would consider editing his post? If not I think this is one of those rare occasions where a bit of sensible moderation should be implemented.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Irony

posted on 8/4/13 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Quite sad about this. She was a great women.
Dingz

posted on 8/4/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

She did great things for this Country and I think that calling her names at this point is in very poor taste

Umm you mean pretty much divided the country, destroyed industries and replaced the UK economy with one based on financial services and banking. What a great idea! I'm sure it will work

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

scottfraser

posted on 8/4/13 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I was living in Scotland when families had to split up when the pol tax was brought in. Also the enterprise zones that were started up with tax breaks for the companies that moved in. When the time limit on the zones passed, the companies moved out creating unemployment blackspots, and that was after unemployment was more than 20% where I lived.

I want a country that has properly run service industries, those being the gas, electric, and train services. I don't feel comfortable having these services we all need being put out for profit. What it has meant is that we are now in a situation where the majority shareholders of our needed services are in foreign ownership run for their ends and profit. It bumps up all of our costs.

Then there's the deregulation of the banks that got us all into the latest mess.

The closing of the majority of our coal mines meaning we have to import coal for power from China etc.

Really not a fan of her politics in any way.

Really sad that a family has lost their mother, no matter what her politics were.

JoelP

posted on 8/4/13 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I logged on to say, 'Let the ignorant comments commence!', since there would surely be a thread about it, and lo and behold, they began in the title.

The thing I find most annoying is people who know nothing about the subject commenting just because it's trendy to hate on thatcher, just like all the stupid comments on Facebook about tories or austerity. That's not aimed at you Jasper, for all I know you might have degrees in politics, history and economics.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/4/13 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
She was not one for printing money, I'm assuming the OP is happier that his children and their children will be suffereing for many years.
She created a superb industry-led growth, the Queen of the Biotechnology Sector, etc. I assume the current dependancy on cheap printed money is preferable, as are the escalating public sector costs and uncontrolled greed.
I assume the OP prefers the current divisions in society, those working and slaughtered to pay for those who do not. Those who have their head in the trough of public money, through extortionist Companies and benefit-fuelled Landlords, the public money poured into support over-leveraged Financial Institutions.
She evicted a foreign force from British Territory, I guess the Bliar contrived 'war(s)' are preferable to the OP.

Her Society wasn't so bad. This greed 'Society' isn't exactly great. I guess if your head is in trough, it's better than my perspective.

She did however make (in my opinion) one very big mistake, and yes, I protested, angrily. I was, however allowed to, I was neither 'kettled' nor arrested for Terrorism.

Not Anumber

posted on 8/4/13 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I met her once when i happened to be working at the Palace of Westminster lugging some books and papers- which i promptly dropped whilst trying to jump out of the way of her official Daimler.

Not a word from the driver whose fault it was but i was flabbergasted when instead of just getting in to the car Mrs Thatcher actually walked round to the back and asked if I was ok. She waited whilst i picked everything up, glared at the driver and then chatted with me about this, that and the other before she got into the car, then surprised me further by waving.

I strongly disliked most of her policies and would never have voted for her but I must say she was actually as nice as pie to meet.

Quite surreal

Jasper

posted on 8/4/13 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Well we are a sensitive bunch aren't we, you must be personal friends or family to get so upset!

se7en

posted on 8/4/13 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Well we are a sensitive bunch aren't we, you must be personal friends or family to get so upset!

Indeed, so much so that they changed the title of the thread!

scootz

posted on 8/4/13 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Never saw your original post, so can't comment directly... I guess it wasn't - erm - complimentary?

It's Evolution Baby!

Jasper

posted on 8/4/13 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
All I said was 'The Wicked Witch is dead' - hardly controversial one would think, but then I hadn't banked on the hard core Tory car builders who were obviously close friends

Strange how a picture of a near naked women bending over as an avatar is deemed as fine, but to make a light hearted comment about the passing of a very controversial figure in not.

[Edited on 8/4/13 by Jasper]

bauermannv8

posted on 8/4/13 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ohh yes,

the iron lady, she was called !!

ok than, with all respect,

rust in peace http://locostbuilders.co.uk/images//smilies/cool.gif

whitestu

posted on 8/4/13 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Having been a miner at the time of the 84/85 strike she wasn't my favourite person. Having said that what she did with the unions isn't what bothers me, it's what she did to the economy that was really barmy, and typically short sighted. It might have seemed like a good idea at time, but like most things that seem like a good idea at the time it turned out not to be.
David Jenkins

posted on 8/4/13 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I like Mike Harding's description of her: "She's the sort of woman who, when you were a kid, would never give you your ball back!"

Whatever I thought of her when she was Prime Minister, dementia is a horrible way to spend your final years...

[Edited on 8/4/13 by David Jenkins]

nige

posted on 8/4/13 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
if you disliked her in life
you cant suddenly like her now she,s dead
ive worked in the steel industry all my life
and that was a difficult period
she,s not liked round here

[Edited on 8/4/13 by nige]

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

loggyboy

posted on 8/4/13 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I was a little too young to understand or be directly influenced by political goings on in the 80s, (I was 3 months old when she came to power, and 11yrs old when she left) but I do recal the years following her leaving, my family had the most prosperous and confortable times. (mainly because my dad worked hard) but I beleive it was beacuse she left the country in pretty good state. Sadly I think the 80s were the era that the 'workers of britain' demanded too much for too little and destroyed the manufacturering industry that britain was built on.

[Edited on 8-4-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 8/4/13 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Much of what she did was right and much she of what she did was wrong, but she believed in what she was doing and stuck to her beliefs and could make decisions which is something that deserves respect.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Jon Ison

posted on 8/4/13 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
No comment.
Alfa145

posted on 8/4/13 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
She was voted in by the majority of voters, so there lies the blame...And they kept voting her in....

And I'm sure she wasn't a one woman band, there was a whole cabinet and other voted in politicians helping make those decisions...

Look at it a different way:
Today someone lost a mother. Those that have lost a mother will know what it's like and those that haven't will probably find out one day.

JC

posted on 8/4/13 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I am very sorry to hear this. Those of us who were around should remember the mess this country was in during the 70s and how the unions held every industry to ransom. She stood up for what she believed in and we should all respect her for that, regardless of what we personally think of her views. The country is an emptier place without her.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.