Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ex-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies, aged 87
Confused but excited.

posted on 8/4/13 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Well whatever you think of her, the fact is that the exchequer is now three grand a week better off.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

perksy

posted on 8/4/13 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Resisting the chance to comment as i quite like it on here and don't fancy getting banned

Lets just say i wasn't a fan......

Peteff

posted on 8/4/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.Well whatever you think of her, the fact is that the exchequer is now three grand a week better off.

There's always an up side

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mark chandler

posted on 8/4/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
I am very sorry to hear this. Those of us who were around should remember the mess this country was in during the 70s and how the unions held every industry to ransom. She stood up for what she believed in and we should all respect her for that, regardless of what we personally think of her views. The country is an emptier place without her.

As above, industry was going, if not gone down the pan. Unions were holding the country to ransom and we needed someone strong and resolute to sort things out, Mrs Thatcher.

She was voted in twice with a majority, I can remember sitting in the kitchen, power out due to strikes sitting around candles so it's no wonder they nationalised that sector.

She was a great woman whatever your political choices.

britishtrident

posted on 8/4/13 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145
She was voted in by the majority of voters, so there lies the blame...And they kept voting her in....

And I'm sure she wasn't a one woman band, there was a whole cabinet and other voted in politicians helping make those decisions...

Look at it a different way:
Today someone lost a mother. Those that have lost a mother will know what it's like and those that haven't will probably find out one day.

In the case of Carol Thatcher it obvious she cared deeply about her mother.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

snapper

posted on 8/4/13 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
She turned my old man from right of Attila the Hun to left of Trotsky in two terms
Her death will divide opinion and old divisions will emerge once more.
David Cameron said
"Margaret Thatcher could only dream of the changes we are making"
You have your opinion
I have mine
If you post your opinion don't be surprised when people disagree

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

splitrivet

posted on 8/4/13 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I remember going to work on different companies sites through her reign and seeing them all slowly wind down and disapear the machine tool industry of the west midlands our manufacturing base and boat loads of others never to return again and to be replaced with imports. All for a dogma and a perceived service economy which we are paying the price for now and will for years on end.
What replaced it, letting rip with credit, greed and financial w@nking, those that think she did a good job must be living on another planet.
One thing alone kept her in office after her first term that was the Falklands she was on the way out till that kicked in. If it had happened 12 months after it did we wouldnt have had the armed forces to do the job thanks to her cuts so it was a bit ironic. If her then Government had there eye on the ball the Argies wouldnt attempted to invade in the first place, personally I think it tragic that a load of young fellas gave thier lives in the debacle of the so called war that she could reap the benefits.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 8/4/13 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Dangle_kt

posted on 8/4/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Wonder if this will get edited....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4FJcnX0i8

As you can see its a view shared by MANY in a number of areas of the country which feel she did not have their best interests, or their childrens in mind when she made a lot of her choices.

It's not my view by the way (I'm too sweet, young and innocent) - I just think it shows how strong the feelings run about the woman in some parts of the country.

02GF74

posted on 8/4/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottfraser

The closing of the majority of our coal mines meaning we have to import coal for power from China etc.

Why do you think the coal mines were closed? Maybe perhaps it was costing tax payers to keep them open i.e. uneconomical in the sense that cheaper coal could be purchased from overseas?

Would anyone be happpy to pay 2x or 3x more tax to keep the coal industry, steel industry and car industry going? I doubt it. 'fraid you can't have it both ways.

I was too young to really take notice of what was going on but can't say I was a fan. I lost all faith in politicians when I saw her standing in front of the camera and having no problem with the troops going off to the Falklands and subsequent deaths but when her d***head son, Mark, was reported missing for just 2 days when taking part in an Afrtican rally, she was on camera in tears!

wilkingj

posted on 8/4/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Like her or Loathe her. That is up to the individual.
However, I am sure that everyone will agree, that she had more Balls than the rest of her cabinet.
At least she led, and wasnt led!
A country need a leader NOT a wet tea towel for a leader.

In politics, you cant please all the people all the time.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 8/4/13 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
She modelled herself on Churchill and copied his decisiveness and resoluteness in adversity but failed to understand his most important character traits magnanimity, compassion and generosity in victory.

[/I]

Peteff

posted on 8/4/13 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74Why do you think the coal mines were closed?

Because Conservatives didn't like to see working class people making too much money Turning UK into a country run by banks and keeping London as the centre of commerce has been their only aim for a long time.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

swanny

posted on 8/4/13 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
i think there is a big difference between liking the way she did things, decisiveness, taking on foreigners (always good to win an upcoming election) and liking what she actually did, lettig the market decide the future of your people, selling off national assets to overseas investors (countries in many cases) and deciding to go to war, not just with the argies, but the unions, for political rather than rational reasons.

in years to come when the working class have had a few more decades of being systematically taken for a ride by big business (and the government have topped up their below living standard wages to allow ever higher profits for their mates) we might look back at the dismantling she started as the start of the end.

who knows in the end they may have to invent unions again.

off to enjoy my glass of milk now

se7en

posted on 8/4/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
All I said was 'The Wicked Witch is dead' - hardly controversial one would think, but then I hadn't banked on the hard core Tory car builders who were obviously close friends

Strange how a picture of a near naked women bending over as an avatar is deemed as fine, but to make a light hearted comment about the passing of a very controversial figure in not.

[Edited on 8/4/13 by Jasper]

Hey, leave my lady out of it; at least she is not made of iron

britishtrident

posted on 8/4/13 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74Why do you think the coal mines were closed?

Because Conservatives didn't like to see working class people making too much money Turning UK into a country run by banks and keeping London as the centre of commerce has been their only aim for a long time.

Prior to 1984 the Miners, Steel Workers and rail unions were trying to run the run the country, they had brought the country to a standstill in the winter of 1973-74 and brought down a moderate Conservative government. The unions found themselves at war with the Labour government they themselves had put in power. As a result the Labour government elected was fighting an internal war between moderates and its' own "loony left" a situation that was not unlike the back stabbing wet v dry war within the Conservative party in the next decade.

Mrs Thatcher got elected got us into a war because she didn't pay attention to the reports coming from Port Stanley and took the credit because with a lot of ingenuity and a bit of support from the USA our armed forces and merchant navy won them back.

So Mrs Thatcher got re-elected and with Arthur Scargill became president of the NUM we had a perfect storm. As later events were to prove Scargill was more interested in his own personal agenda than his members interests, and as a tactician we was no match for Mrs Thatcher. Mrs Thatcher lured Scargill's men into a killing ground she had prepared by building up coal stocks and giving the police a massive pay rise. Thatcher was also very lucky the summer of 1984 was long and hot and much demand for electricity could be met from hydro, nuclear, and oil and gas stations, add the coal coming from non-NUM pits and as a result the strike was ineffective and could probably would have run for another 6+ months before the country ground to a halt.

However such was Mrs Thatcher's hatred for the unions she destroyed the steel and mines completely closing viable steel plants and even the profitable mines that had supported her through the strike.

[/I]

Ninehigh

posted on 8/4/13 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, despite knowing nothing of what her policies did (too young) maybe a strong leader marching in the wrong direction is better than a wishy washy pansy leader bumbling their way in the right direction.

Dangle_kt

posted on 8/4/13 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Actually, despite knowing nothing of what her policies did (too young) maybe a strong leader marching in the wrong direction is better than a wishy washy pansy leader bumbling their way in the right direction.

errrr...sounds disturbing close to a dictatorship.

A short fella with a chaplin tash did a cracking job of what you describe...

loggyboy

posted on 8/4/13 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I lost all faith in politicians when I saw her standing in front of the camera and having no problem with the troops going off to the Falklands and subsequent deaths but when her d***head son, Mark, was reported missing for just 2 days when taking part in an Afrtican rally, she was on camera in tears!

You expect a mother to care more or the same for people whose CHOSEN job is to risk their life, than her own flesh and blood. He may have indeed been a dick, but god help your children if thats how you think parenting works!

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 8/4/13 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

Or as Mel Brookes put it "Come along now be a smartie ____ ___ ____ ___ ____ "

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 8/4/13 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I lost all faith in politicians when I saw her standing in front of the camera and having no problem with the troops going off to the Falklands and subsequent deaths but when her d***head son, Mark, was reported missing for just 2 days when taking part in an Afrtican rally, she was on camera in tears!

You expect a mother to care more or the same for people whose CHOSEN job is to risk their life, than her own flesh and blood. He may have indeed been a dick, but god help your children if thats how you think parenting works!

Mark Thatcher arms dealer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7320790.stm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/mark-thatcher-accused-sources-say-he-got-12m-pounds-from-arms-deal-signed-by-his-mother-1441851.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/mark-thatcher-admits-coup-plot-charge-6155042.html

[/I]

bobinspain

posted on 9/4/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
What's indisputable is that she was a grocer's daughter who went on to LEAD the country for 11 years. Whatever you think of her politics, she was certainly a 'conviction politician,' unlike the wishy washy "Cast Iron" Dave and his silver-spooned ilk.

What I find despicable are the vitriolic personal attacks and the rejoicing in her death. Ill considerd remarks from low-lifes about her being "evil" and the like. (Where does that put Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot?)

British Trident got the genesis of the miners´strike spot on. (Read the Sunday Times Insight Team's expose of how the Marxist Scargill walked straight into the trap Mrs T had set for him).

Derek ´Degsy´Hatton was on tv this morning bleating about the "greed" of the Thatcher years. Trotskyist, turned property developer, those old enough to do so, will recall Hatton as deputy leader of Liverpool Council, famous of cruising the City´s streets in his BMW (reg DEG5Y). He now drives a 60k Range Rover, (how very egalitarian). His comments have been echoed by such luminaries as Morrissey, Ken Livingstone and Marc Almond. Says all you need to know really.

As the old maxim goes, "If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all."

Jasper

posted on 9/4/13 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
And finally ................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jn8K8EA7-Q

Enjoy

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Theshed

posted on 9/4/13 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
What's indisputable is that she was a grocer's daughter who went on to LEAD the country for 11 years. Whatever you think of her politics, she was certainly a 'conviction politician,' unlike the wishy washy "Cast Iron" Dave and his silver-spooned ilk.

What I find despicable are the vitriolic personal attacks and the rejoicing in her death. Ill considerd remarks from low-lifes about her being "evil" and the like. (Where does that put Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot?)

British Trident got the genesis of the miners´strike spot on. (Read the Sunday Times Insight Team's expose of how the Marxist Scargill walked straight into the trap Mrs T had set for him).

Derek ´Degsy´Hatton was on tv this morning bleating about the "greed" of the Thatcher years. Trotskyist, turned property developer, those old enough to do so, will recall Hatton as deputy leader of Liverpool Council, famous of cruising the City´s streets in his BMW (reg DEG5Y). He now drives a 60k Range Rover, (how very egalitarian). His comments have been echoed by such luminaries as Morrissey, Ken Livingstone and Marc Almond. Says all you need to know really.

No person attacks in the above?

Probably best if I say nothing then....

bobinspain

posted on 9/4/13 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain

No person attacks in the above?

Probably best if I say nothing then....

Try reading it again and tell me what's not factually correct. You'll be hard pressed to do so.

DarrenW

posted on 9/4/13 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
The very fact she gets spoken about so passionately (positively or negatively) speaks volumes. Love her or hate her, very few would deny to admire her in one way or another. Being a politician is a strange choice of career, defo one that is guaranteed to win you some hate mail from at least half of the country. The one thing no-one will ever know is what would have happened to the country if she did not get into power. We can speculate but i suspect there would be one or 2 more bad effects than good. Im no expert in politics so done desire to start an argument on this, but as said before, at least she had some balls.

Whatever we may all think of her professionally, at the end of the day she is a person and rightly deserves some dignity in her death (as does her family).

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.