Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gazebo for track/hillclimb/show use
FASTdan

posted on 9/4/13 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Gazebo for track/hillclimb/show use

I'm looking to get a gazebo for use at track days, hillclimb events and also to possibly double up as a part of the danST Engineering show/exhibition stand. Primary function being to cover the MK in the paddock for rain showers and maintenance work.

So, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced gazebo, or advise what features you need? There's obviously a vast range of prices, from £20 netto specials up to mega money heavy duty aluminium items.

I was considering something such as this, just canopy to begin with:

steel frame gazebo

Of course there's factors like holding the thing down in a windy paddock to consider so any locost suggestions are welcome (although I'd like to look half professional if I'm going to use it to promote my business lol).

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
trikerneil

posted on 9/4/13 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I had one of those type once. A good bit of kit but it is heavy due to the steel frame.
The ally framed one I had lasted one weekend on a wet and blustery camping trip.

HTH

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 9/4/13 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
There's a company that usually exhibits them at Stoneleigh show. They do what look like better quality steel and ally framed ones and have a few there to look at.

I did once try an Aldi special and it lasted 1/2 a day at Anglesea track. One of the few things I've got from there that was a complete failure; It was windy and wet though... and they did give me my money back.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Disgruntled karter

posted on 9/4/13 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
We used a cheap gazebo for karting for the last couple of years and it was a nightmare, it was difficult to put up due to the fact that the joint wore very quickly and the top was only just big enough and so was incredibly tight when the frame was fully erected, that coupled with the fact that the stitching gave up again due to the cut of the fabric being really tight (lost count of the number of fingernails I lost putting the thing up and down) and finally the window panels were very thin and went brittle very quickly so wish I had invested a little more at the time and got a better product in the first place

So my advice would suggest looking at one from a company like surf and turf

If you are considering one bigger than a 3 x 3 go for an Ali one as the steel ones are REALLY heavy, but make sure its not one of the Uber cheap ones made out of old coke cans, currently borrowed a 6x3 steel and it takes 2 of us to lift it

Get one with sides, on a cold windy day they are a godsend

Make sure you can actually get spares for it most of the cheap ones you cant, so if you do break a joint or bend a leg then you can repair it

When you use it strap it down by pegging the legs as well as using the guy lines otherwise in high winds you will snap the legs ( from personal expensive experience)

Graham

Tiger Super Six

posted on 9/4/13 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Disgruntled karter
So my advice would suggest looking at one from a company like surf and turf

Graham

+1 I used to kart and brought one from Surf and Turf - good quality and helpful company.

Mark

Tiger Avon

mark chandler

posted on 9/4/13 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have a steel framed 3m x 3m gazebo, similar to the one at the top, it came from here easygazebos.co.uk

Good quality, I do challenge one person being able to put up though !

jonabonospen

posted on 9/4/13 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Me and my mate have this for sale at the moment (on his ebay account not mine):

eBay Item

We are only down the road from you (it is at his house in Birstall) so you could come have a look if you want and am sure we could knock a few quid off for a locoster

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
CNHSS1

posted on 9/4/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
last firm I worked for had a couple of genuine E-Z Ups, and they were all steel. Mega quality and price, but the ones you show in the initial post look like a good compromise, still steel legs and decent moulding, but I'll bet they aren't as heavy as the eZups!!
we had a 6x3 and a 3x3, 6x3 was 3 man lift out of the van!!

all pop ups are at least 2 man job to put up or you buckle the legs and strain the fittings.

as for paddock weights, 4 x tyres and wheels works for me (wets on a dry day, slicks on a wet day lol)

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

thefreak

posted on 9/4/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
We use an EZ-UP in the paddock as well. It's not the lightest thing to carry around, but you can lift it with 1 person. It takes at least 2 to put up though.
I think it's a 3m x 2m and easily fits the MX150R inside along with the tools.
Got a long and 2 short side panels which really help keep the wind out, and will be looking to get another long one as well.
Think it was around £300 for the complete setup, then get yourself a few ratchet straps so you can use a couple of wheels/trailer/car to anchor it to when the wind gets up.
All the parts are replaceable as well for not a lot, we managed to snap one of the cross pieces a few years ago and I think a replacement one was around £4.00.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.