Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: getting back on the road?
Chazzy

posted on 12/4/13 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
getting back on the road?

Wanted to share the love, my regular cirlce jus dont get it.!.. the toy has been SORNed for the last 3 years due to children and new houses and new jobs, but taken out for an MOT each year just to stay current.
To build up some enthusiasm to buy a tax disc I've changed the oil and replaced some fast road pagid front pads for some cheap halfords std pads in the hope for a litle more cold bite (brake fade is not a problem at the speeds and roads I use)
I've also continued to trim the interior (after 9 years of 'completion' by putting some carpet on the rear bulkhead, makes it look much nicer in the garage at any rate!

All of this has allowed mde to share some knuckle skin and bond with it again, sitting on the drive blipping the throttle is still better than pretending to make car noises in the garage with my son.
I need to be less precious about using it than I used to be, hoping I can drive to work, I can park out of sight of the road at the new job.

Good luck to all others trying to recommission.
Chas

nick205

posted on 12/4/13 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it!
Some of my best drives were long routes to/from work.

bi22le

posted on 13/4/13 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Every spring I have the same concerns. It MOT and taxed. I have nut checked it but still apprehensive. What do you do? Long drive? Short drive?

For me, its do or die. Go for a drive where you have all day with no questions and expectations. I drive until I am happy with the reliability of the car. Sometimes its 6 hours and some times its a lot less. When your happy to come back because its faultless or not quite right you have direction. Direction is not bad. just work with it and try the next day.

I have learnt that these cars all ways need work and sometimes you can live with it and sometimes you cant. Only you know the cross over.

I love cars, petrol and fast things, the levels for me are set very high. Quitting is not an option. I am in it for the long run. No decision is a bad decission.

Bizz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Daddylonglegs

posted on 13/4/13 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Now that is a good attitude

Good on you

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Not Anumber

posted on 13/4/13 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Lack of a garage in my case completely dispels the out of sight, out of mind thing. I keep it taxed all year and as long as it's not snowing and it's a journey where 2 seats is enough then it's always just a case of grabbing the keys and taking the cover off.
I have always approached kit cars on the basis that so long as it's built properly with adequate quality parts it will be at least as reliable as the donor car it was based on.

Krash67

posted on 13/4/13 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
And there was me thinking I was alone on this one.....

If your not fast..........your last!!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.