Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fly by wire
t11

posted on 20/4/13 at 05:16 AM Reply With Quote
fly by wire

Morning all..has anyone out there retro fitted a fly by wire system to throttle bodies ? I have a set of suzuki haybusa throttle bidies fitted to my toyota 3sge engine and wondered if this is possible and what parts and from which car to use......many thanks Gordon
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 20/4/13 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Can I ask why you would want to do that?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

adithorp

posted on 20/4/13 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Can I ask why you would want to do that?

My thoughts, exactly. Stick with KISS.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

umgrybab

posted on 20/4/13 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I don't even know if any major manufacturers use fly by wire on their petrol engines. It is used on diesel engines because of emissions regulations and injection timing under load, however, I think that even the mainstream manufacturers use a cable for petrol engines because its easier/cheaper/not a huge benefit. They all have a TPS for mapping but I can't see why you would want a fly by wire system. Only time I can think it may be useful is to blip the throttle for shifting a sequential box but this is usually done with spark kill on the ECU anyway.
MikeRJ

posted on 20/4/13 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umgrybab
I don't even know if any major manufacturers use fly by wire on their petrol engines.

Most of them do, even small shopping cars have motorised throttles these days. It makes traction and stability control and cruise control much easier to implement for starters, and they play all sorts of tricks to smooth out throttle response etc.

[Edited on 20/4/13 by MikeRJ]

matt_gsxr

posted on 20/4/13 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Don't the Suzuki throttle bodies already have a second throttle butterfly that is electronically controlled? Maybe you have removed them?
Not sure what signals it needs, but you might find some information here. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=33297

I have considered adding a second electronic throttle to the inlet of my turbo, not because boost lag is a problem (it doesn't seem to be) but because F1 Renault did it way back and it might be fun, I haven't got around to it. A Golf GTI unit looked about the right size for the job when I looked.

I believe that megasquirt can provide a PWM output for this type of purpose, but not sure whether any code supports this functionality.

Slimy38

posted on 20/4/13 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umgrybab
I don't even know if any major manufacturers use fly by wire on their petrol engines.

My 2001 Toledo has it... but I have no idea why. The 2000 version of the same car uses a traditional cable throttle. It still has all the other tricks like cruise control etc.

My only experience of it (apart from actually making the car go!) is having to get it calibrated whenever I do any work on the throttle body. It needs a command sent through OBDII to set it correctly. I'd have much preferred the old cable throttle with a nice easy screw stop.

theprisioner

posted on 20/4/13 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Automatic parking systems need it.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

t11

posted on 20/4/13 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Re fly by wire

ok so its like this the car is rear engined with a home make pedal linkage and the cable is 7ft long its not very smooth and starting from rest is a pain so I thought fly by wire might work........
coyoteboy

posted on 20/4/13 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I like your thinking and I might consider implementing it myself but I'd want to know damn well that the thing is failsafe. AFAIK there's no easy way of implementing it, certainly not reliably on throttle bodies. You'd have to do a proper engineering job on it for it to operate satisfactorily, but it does offer some nice benefits that the KISS folk might appreciate if it were easily achieved.

dave_424

posted on 20/4/13 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
What accelerator cable do you have? I bought one with teflon liner and all the fancy coatings etc, its smooth as butter. Also found it helpful to add an extra strong spring onto the throttle bodies for a snappier return.
l0rd

posted on 20/4/13 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
i believe there is a youtube video of a renault clio which has been converted to itbs and they kept the fly by wire throtle mechanism to control the butterfly

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.