Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My zetec blacktop custom sump
Dooey99

posted on 20/4/13 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
My zetec blacktop custom sump

this is my zetec sump which is now 95% complete just wants 2 more baffle plates cut and welded in... i have shortened the pick up but didnt take any pictures of it.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

plenty more pictures in my album

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

big_wasa

posted on 20/4/13 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good, How deep is it ? I did one to the recommended 150mm and it looks a little shallow when compared to yours.

Ive got a spare I will need to have another go.

loggyboy

posted on 20/4/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mine looks about half way between the 2!

Mistral Motorsport

Dooey99

posted on 20/4/13 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
i didnt do mine to any measurements i just kept putting it on the engine and seeing how it looked, i will measure it first thing in the morning for you. i wanted to keep mine as deep as possible to maintain oil capacity as you may notice i welded a 'box' onto the flat end aswell to increase capacity. i think i took about 30mm off the side with drain plug then i made the bottom just sit with a very slight tilt

like i say ill measure it as accurately as i can tomorrow

big_wasa

posted on 20/4/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
only reason I ask is the silvertop is 165mm but 150mm is the figure floating about for the blacktop
loggyboy

posted on 20/4/13 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Surely it depends on the car, one might sit lower than others. I brought mine to the same level as the gearbox bellhousing.

Worth noting the base of the alloy sump is not level with the floor line, both left right and front rear..

Mistral Motorsport

blakep82

posted on 20/4/13 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Weird question, but hear me out...

Does anyone have a diagram of how the pick up pipe etc fits in the unmodified and modified sumps? I've never given the pick up pipe much thought, but I know I need to shorten my sump at some point. My plan is to get another one to have a shot at shortening, leaving the original on the engine unmodified for now.

Actually have no idea where the pick up pipe actually sits... its a x20xev engine, but the principal should be the same.
You always see pics of modified sumps, but never seen any info on modding the pick up pipe

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

big_wasa

posted on 20/4/13 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
yep but its not going in a car or even on a gearbox yet hence wandering what others have done.
loggyboy

posted on 20/4/13 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.toyne.org.uk/kc-mods-sumpchop.html

Mistral Motorsport

ashg

posted on 20/4/13 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
looks good. make sure you get all the weld splatter out and clean up the oxide from welding. strong hydrochloric acid works well

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Paul Turner

posted on 21/4/13 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
The sump plug in the first photo is in a daft place, will certainly get knocked off since it will be the lowest part of the engine. There is a good reason manufacturers always fit sump plugs on the side.
loggyboy

posted on 21/4/13 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
The sump plug in the first photo is in a daft place, will certainly get knocked off since it will be the lowest part of the engine. There is a good reason manufacturers always fit sump plugs on the side.

Whilst that is sensible, Some zetecs have them on the bottom:

Mistral Motorsport

Dooey99

posted on 21/4/13 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Alot of motors have the the sump plug on the bottom of the sump, your obviously not a car mechanic are you? No disrespect meant. I am going to have a sump guard under sump aswell as I've seen many of these have the sump taken off even with modified sumps!

Paul Turner

posted on 21/4/13 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dooey99

Alot of motors have the the sump plug on the bottom of the sump, your obviously not a car mechanic are you?

I am not a mechanic but I have been driving for 39 years and have carried out maintenance on most of those cars. I built my first kit in 1988 thus have been round the Kit Car scene for 25 years.

In all that time I have never seen a sump plug on the bottom. Every manufacturer has put them out of danger on the side.

[Edited on 21/4/13 by Paul Turner]

Dooey99

posted on 21/4/13 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Honda civic

Paul Turner

posted on 21/4/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dooey99

Honda civic

Never owned or even looked under a Honda Civic thus I will have to take your word. However, I can guarantee that the sump plug will not be the lowest part of the car.

But with regards to a Seven with fek all ground clearance (mine has 75mm under the bellhousing, probably another 5mm under the sump) why on earth would you want to reduce that by the length of the sump plug which would be the lowest part of the car. Sump guards may solve one problem but can cause others and only add to the weight of the car unnecessarily.

In my 25 years of owning a Seven I have hit the sump once and that was on a gate stop sticking out of the road, small crack in the sump which resulted in virtually no leak and was soon sorted.

Strontium Dog

posted on 21/4/13 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've built lots of these for people now. I always put the drain plug on the side of the sump because it will get ground off if you don't. If you have the room for a sump guard you've still lost about 20mm because of the plug and if I had that much clearance I'd use it for oil capacity! The sumps I do have evolved from the first ones I did into what I build today after trial and error and feedack from people on here!

I am surprised at Honda for nfitting a drain plug on the bottom of a sump, but then they did fit oil flow restrictors in the feed to the head on cx500's resulting in them ALL eating there cams etc and having to be recalled IIRC! So not the first mistake they've ever made!

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.