Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bedford Rascal Sleeper Ideas?
StrikerChris

posted on 30/4/13 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bedford Rascal Sleeper Ideas?

Hi Folks
A mate of mine turned up with this yesterday...

Was just wondering what peoples views on the most reliable engine/gearbox options would be best.I know theres quite afew bec Rascals been made over the years but even after a diet I reckon its still going to weigh about 700kgs so I'm not convinced its the best way to go,although I do think it would be comical to have one screaming away!
Its also been suggested that there's a chance of the Suziki Swift gti engine may mate to the box in one of the Suzuki Versions of the van?
Any views or suggetions or even experience before he starts ploughing money into donor parts,that may not be up to the job would be appreciated,as although we've been involved in many projects over the years neither of us have really tinkered with a bec

Cheers

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 30/4/13 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
ZX10?

StrikerChris

posted on 30/4/13 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Haha cheers,I'd already stumbled across that one!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 30/4/13 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
BMW M5 v10 engine?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nick205

posted on 30/4/13 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
One of these Hartley V8s (made from to bike engines) should fit the bill. I'd be tempted to go mid mount tough for a bit better weight distribution.

[Edited on 30/4/13 by nick205]

Simon

posted on 30/4/13 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Local chap called (iirc) Dave Champion built a similar vehicle with a blown mid mounted V6. Used a blower belt to drive. I have a pic somewhere, if I can find I'll post

ATB

Simon

Rod Ends

posted on 30/4/13 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Put an engine in the back and drive it backwards!

off-road-ham

posted on 30/4/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, even with the original engine can wheel spin into second gear on a wet road !!! I have had several over the years.

The engine is the same one used in the SJ410. I beleve it is interchangeable with the sj413 engine which has the same block as the 90's swift gti twin cam (100 bhp).
worst case would be get a SJ413 box and swift engine for a simple(ish) upgrade.

StrikerChris

posted on 30/4/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Offroadham, these are rwd but im all for the swift conversion, it makes more sense to my mind.abit confused as to what you said but you do think its likely that a 1300ish 100bhp swift motor may mate to the van bellhousing all be it messing about with mix and match clutch parts.by sj im guessing thats the little jeep.did that run a transfer box for 4wd or was it all 1 box?

Cheers

Chris

chrisxr2

posted on 30/4/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
misread

completely misread the thread title, and thought, ohh one of those would make an awesome camper van type thing, doh.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

StrikerChris

posted on 30/4/13 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Your mini nearly looks as big as my imp did next to the kitcar!

off-road-ham

posted on 30/4/13 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StrikerChris
Offroadham, these are rwd but im all for the swift conversion, it makes more sense to my mind.abit confused as to what you said but you do think its likely that a 1300ish 100bhp swift motor may mate to the van bellhousing all be it messing about with mix and match clutch parts.by sj im guessing thats the little jeep.did that run a transfer box for 4wd or was it all 1 box?

Cheers

Chris
The 90's swift gti engine whilst fwd was the same block as the sj413 inline block.( different sump oilpickup pipe.
There have been several conversions where the gti engine was put into the sj offroader.
the sj had a 5speed box that then used a short prop to a transfer box.

a quick google sujests the you would need an sj413 gearbox to fit the 1.3 engine.

Another option would be to convert the rear end to use a fwd engine and box in the back. the subaru sumo (the same class as the rascal) did it this way. also helps to put weight on drive wheels.
Going this way you could go extreem with an audi V8 to audi fwd transaxle and be able to smoke the wheels in every gear!!!

StrikerChris

posted on 2/5/13 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the info. Seems he's hell bent on a bike engine though!
whitestu

posted on 2/5/13 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

completely misread the thread title, and thought, ohh one of those would make an awesome camper van type thing, doh.

It wasn't just you!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.