Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: willwood squeaky brakes
easisatman

posted on 1/5/13 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
willwood squeaky brakes

My striker had M16 Brakes that the pistons started to seize so i bought the redstuff overhaul kits and stainless pistons and had mintex 1144 pads,All was well for a while, but not using the car over the winter months, the next time i tookk it out one of the calipers seized after about 15 mins driving and nearly shot me off the road, so i bought the willwood powerlights replacmet M16 calipers and I got the mintex1144 pads io go with them as well. But they make such a squealing noise, I have tried copperslip grease on the back of the pads but that only lasts for about 5 mins. So does anyone have any idea how to stop the noise -its bad enough with the R1 engine lol
cheers

rdodger

posted on 2/5/13 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Try putting a taper on the leading and trailing edges of the pads. That normally works.
coozer

posted on 2/5/13 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same issues and swapped the Mintex pads for EBC's..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mazie

posted on 2/5/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I Have the same problem when under very light braking or when coming to a halt. Ive heard elsewhere to taper the leading and trailing edges works but ive not got around to do doing it. I got mine from rally design who said they normally come with shims for placing between the caliper and pad. you can buy universal cut out ones from ebay but again Ive not tried these yet.
PeteS2k

posted on 2/5/13 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I had massive squealing issues with my Wilwoods on both Smart pads and (even worse!) on M1144 pads. I tried copper grease, stick-on shim material, feathering the edges of the pads - everything.

My current set up has been very effective and squeal-free for the past couple of years. I'm using Ferodo DS2500 pads - a Dynalite pad pattern, with just a minor mod to the backplate to fit the Midilite caliper. I also used Pagid Cera-Tec brake assembly lube, rather than copper grease. I cleaned down and re-assembled the whole assembly using it on mating surfaces as well as the pads.

Whether it's the Ferodo pads, or the Pagid gunk, or paying more attention bolting it all up - or all 3 - that broke the resonance, I don't know. Worked for me though

easisatman

posted on 2/5/13 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mazie
I Have the same problem when under very light braking or when coming to a halt. Ive heard elsewhere to taper the leading and trailing edges works but ive not got around to do doing it. I got mine from rally design who said they normally come with shims for placing between the caliper and pad. you can buy universal cut out ones from ebay but again Ive not tried these yet.

Thanks for that , I got them from Rally design but they did not come with any shims!! i will have a go at filing the leading edges..

StrikerChris

posted on 2/5/13 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Got the same issue on mine, if it had a radio id turn it up.as it doesn't just let my chauffeur ram it down the gears so it pops and bangs till I cant hear anymore!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
easisatman

posted on 2/5/13 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StrikerChris
Got the same issue on mine, if it had a radio id turn it up.as it doesn't just let my chauffeur ram it down the gears so it pops and bangs till I cant hear anymore!

Lol yep got btahat as well it would be nice to lose one of the noises!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.