Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First MOT after registration
stevegough

posted on 3/5/13 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
First MOT after registration

Just been asked a question by another forum member (monkeyarms) about when the first MOT would be due.

I have told him it is 3 years after registration, but he is, understandably, sceptical. Can you guys re-assure him, please?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

wicket

posted on 3/5/13 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
My was definitely 3 years after reg, confirmed in writing by local DVLA office. I have age related reg
ReMan

posted on 3/5/13 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
If managed correctly by the DVLA it should be 3 years

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/5/13 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
3 years from the date of new registration:

"The legislation supporting this is Section 47( 2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988"

Quoted from my email i received from the DVLA when I registered my Locost last year.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

steve8274

posted on 3/5/13 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just to be different, it appears mine needs one after first year. Passed iva last year on age related plate. Went to get tax and they say I need mot. Obviously tried elsewhere and online and still require mot.
Went to Preston Dvla and they said it requires a mot. Iva as a mot expires after first year. Tried to explain the 3 years but they weren't budging.
So it looks like I need mot.
Steve

whitstella

posted on 3/5/13 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
hi

i was the same as steve8274 needed an mot before dvla would look at taxing car (age related plate)

steve

40inches

posted on 3/5/13 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Does it say on the V5c when 1st MOT is due?

snapper

posted on 3/5/13 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Age related
3 years to first mot
There have been a few occasions where local Dvla office has asked for mot after first year however for the great majority its 3 years to
First mot

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

steve8274

posted on 3/5/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't say on my v5c when mot due.
So how to I extend my mot requirement to 3 years? Even the Dvla local office say its required after a year. how do people get 3 years?

emlyno

posted on 3/5/13 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
On my first renewal I had no probs. On the second I tried to renew on line but couldn't because it stated I needed an MOT.
Tried the Post Office but again, an MOT needed. Went up to the local DVLA and taxed it with no problems. They said that the computers some times throw up these issues.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/5/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone wants a copy of the email I got then U2 me. It does state for a 'Q' plate though, but the chap did say it makes no difference as long as it's a new registration.

Of course the problem now is that the local offices are closing so it's going to be even harder!!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

steve8274

posted on 3/5/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
For those people who are getting 3 years, what date of registration do you have?
Mine is showing as original date of donor car. Ie 1992 for j plate.
If this is the cause for my 1 year mot requirement, can it be changed? Says date of iva on front
Steve

Bluemoon

posted on 3/5/13 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hume mine was on j plate as donner no mot was needed for first 3years... Just taxed online as normal.. Sounds like Dvla stuffed up details on the computer.... They should be able to fix it...
DavidM

posted on 3/5/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Go to your local DVLA office. If they wont tax it fill out form V112 declaring you don't need an MOT. Present this instead of an MOT certificate and they'll tax it. If all else fails contact to Swansea. Mine was 3 years on an age related plate but I usually had to make a fuss.

David

Proportion is Everything

steve8274

posted on 3/5/13 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidM
Go to your local DVLA office. If they wont tax it fill out form V112 declaring you don't need an MOT. Present this instead of an MOT certificate and they'll tax it. If all else fails contact to Swansea. Mine was 3 years on an age related plate but I usually had to make a fuss.

David

Went to local tax office and they said I needed mot. If I fill out the form, do you have to give a reason? What reason? What would happen in worst case scenario and I needed use of my insurance. Could they say it is void cos I have no mot or can police pull you?
Steve

DavidM

posted on 3/5/13 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve8274
quote:

David

Went to local tax office and they said I needed mot. If I fill out the form, do you have to give a reason? What reason? What would happen in worst case scenario and I needed use of my insurance. Could they say it is void cos I have no mot or can police pull you?
Steve

There is a list of reasons on the form. One of those is "vehicle less than three years old". Unfortunately some DVLA staff don't deal with kit cars very often, so sometimes you have to stick to your guns until you get your way. There shouldn't be any problem legally or with your insurance. See here:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/vehicles-exempt-from-mot

David

Proportion is Everything

whitstella

posted on 4/5/13 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
hi

I can not see much of a problem ,even if it needs an not from the first year at least its getting checked over by another set of eyes which can not be a bad thing.
wicket

posted on 4/5/13 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Aged related and my V5C says

Note 4B Date of first registration 12/08/1980
Note 4[B.1] Date of first registration in the UK 16/06/2006

I had 3 years before MOT.

steve8274

posted on 6/5/13 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8274
quote:

David

Steve

There is a list of reasons on the form. One of those is "vehicle less than three years old". Unfortunately some DVLA staff don't deal with kit cars very often, so sometimes you have to stick to your guns until you get your way. There shouldn't be any problem legally or with your insurance. See here:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/vehicles-exempt-from-mot

David

It appears the form has changed. There is no part on form to say car less than 3 years old.

Whitsella I agree there is no harm in getting it mot'd. Just thought the money for mot could be put to better use. Ie fuel for car

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.