Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: So Stoneleigh left me confused and with more questions than answer’s......
EX01

posted on 7/5/13 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
So Stoneleigh left me confused and with more questions than answer’s......

So Stoneleigh left me confused and with more questions than answer’s......
I had intended to go with a CEC Spire GTR, though after looking at the owners cars beautiful and nice as they are the chassis didnt inspire me in it’s construction at all.
Chasis that did were the RAW Strikers that was really well constructed and of high quality (Prob why they do so well at sprints).
The Sabre chasis was also a work of art (Though more money than I want to spend to get it racing) and the body had questions to me over the aero bits added that should just be part of the shell in my opinion (Kinda after thoughts).

I had thought I wanted a Road going toy that I could track day and sprint and hill climb, looking over the regs it seems I would get dumped in Libra pretty much no matter what with the Spire GTR.... And I had arrived at Turbo Busa as it might as well be mental in Libra.

Then I got talking to the guys on the 750 stand and talking costs to enter etc and it seems on the outside very doable, and chatting to the guys currently driving in the RGB class it seems to have a fair set of rules designed to keep things from getting ‘too’ silly and leaaving a fairly competative field for everyone.

I get the feeling a rose tint was put on things in the 750 RGB class though and wondered if anyone here had experiance?

Im looking at the Spire GT3 RGB version (1000rr Fireblad engine), but I think this may leave me with only the 750 race series as an option though as it would get dumped in libra in sprints and get destroyd in that class with only a 1000cc Bike engine?

I would love to try to IVA it but it’s fully rose jointed and a track tool (And not been done yet on that chassis either) so thoughts on that would be appreciated as well?

The beauty of a build is not the build or the drive when it’s done, it’s the sneaking the funds slowly past the wife as she remains blissfully unaware!

Duncan36

posted on 7/5/13 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I'm new to RGB having just competed in my first race 2 weeks ago. I looked into a lot of different race series before taking the plunge and buying a Spire GT-R (mine was the one at the show on the 750MC stand).

I ended up choosing RGB for lots of reasons and not just because i wanted something with a bike engine and a car i liked the look of. The guys were so friendly and helpful, it's like karting used to be 15 years ago before everyone thought their kid was going to be the next Lewis or Jenson. They took the time to answer my stupid questions at Donington last year when i went to watch and i just got a good feeling about the series as a whole.

As for the different chassis, it's hard to choose. There is no doubt that the Spire's are bloody quick, the GT3 won every round of the championship last year, so don't overthink the look of the chassis as it does exactly what it needs to. Both Paul and Tim are top guys and have helped me no end.

The Sabre is a stunning chassis and the bodywork is from the Gen1, with new bodywork being designed currently so don't worry about that side of the Sabre. Again Andy and Nick are top guys who have also helped me loads (notice the theme of the guys involved in RGB?)

The choice of which car really comes down to personal preference. There are always cars for sale at the end of the season, mine will be one of those at the end of the this year.

Going back to the 750MC and RGB, i couldn't be happier with the choice i made to become part of it. Giles and Nicky in the 750MC office are fantastic to deal with and provide us with a great race calendar for pretty modest race entry fee's, especially when you compare them to other organsiers. The drivers and manufacurers in RGB are really approachable and basically make life much easier that it would be when you don't really know what your doing.

Mine isnt' IVA'd but one of the guys (Bob I think) put his racer though it so he could get used to it on the road and test changes before races.

I hope that answers a few of your questions. Some of the much more experienced RGB boys are on here, so i dare say they will answer any of your questions that i'm not experienced enough to.

Cheers

Duncan

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

Fizzer

posted on 7/5/13 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Check out Tim's blog, one of the best racer blogs (and one that inspired me to buy a fury). Very well written and will give you a feel for what it's like to run an RGB car.
I've done nothing but turn up to a few of their meets over the last few years, it seems like a close knit community.
http://www.hoverd.org/Tim/

MK9R

posted on 7/5/13 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

First of all thanks for looking at the 750MC and RGB, it a really great club and RGB a very friendly place to come out to play. Get over onto our forum and have a look around at what goes on and post any specific questions you have and i guarantee you will have a deluge of replies.

www.rgb-racing.org.uk

As i'm a current RGB racer (5th season)I am obviously going to be slightly onesided, but i joined the series after building and driving various cars for years and frequenting many forums and clubs (been on this forum for 10 years i think!!), and RGB seemed to fit the bill perfectly. Speed per £ i dont think you can beat it, and overall cost wise its doable for £5k a season, that includes competeing in all 14 rounds and basic entry fees, running costs and expenses. Obviously this can increase dramatically if you have offs and mechanical issues.

You will struggle to build a car that will be eligible AND competive in more than one series, as there are so many things you can and cant do depending on the rules and regs. The thing that keeps RGB cost down is that the engine cannot be modified in anyway, this means tuning is a no no and the associated bills and reliability issues. Obviously this conflicts with sprinting rules and other series such as northern sports cars etc. The ethos of RGB is to keep costs as low as possible, rather than cheque book racing.

The Spire is a fantastic car, and the results have proved this, and has happened due to the years of development of Paul Nightingale and the guys driving the works cars (John Cutmore and Tim Gray). The Sabre will get there too, it just hasnt had as long to be developed as the spire (Yet!). There are other class R cars to consider too that havent been as developed but are progressing (BDN, MNR LMP, MK Stealth etc..).

But you shouldnt dismiss the class F cars either (fury, pheonix, MNR vortx etc, or and not forgetting next yeras new MNR GM2&3,.. cough cough). Ok they dont run at the front of the grid but we have our own race a bit further down the field, and this year have already had its own race at Brands with the possibility of a couple more this year (more cars entered more chance of a permanent split grid). Class F has its own points, so although yoou maybe finishing 8th overall you can be 1st in class and get the full 15 points. This means at the end of the year a class F driver can still win the overall championship. Building a class F car is cheaper, the cars are cheaper to buy, and there are more of them knocking around 2nd hand if you want to go that route.

I'm no sure if you have raced before, but to step in as a novice and be at the cutting edge of the grid rarely happens, the weakest link is usually the driver not the car. So it usually takes some time to get on the pace and battling for pots.

If you have any more questions, please ask

Oh also check out my blog (and the links on it) to see what we all get up to on a race weekend.

[Edited on 7/5/13 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
EX01

posted on 7/5/13 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Some great information thanks guys, the more I speak to people the one thing I hear every single time is the brilliant community in the pits.

To answer my experience question I did race off road many moons ago in an E28 BMW, I don’t expect to turn up and be on the pace for a couple of seasons, clean, close and safe as I get up to speed would be my goal. Spent the last 10 years on motorbikes and would place myself as fast but not Alien, my ZX10R starts feeling slow by the time my brain adjusts normally on or after Mad Sunday 

I do prefer the front of the Sabre and agree with Duncan the chassis is imo sex to look at naked but when I add up the kit to get it onto the track its above the budget I had set in my mind.

The GT3 fit’s what I want to spend (just) Paul is amazing and has a great reputation as a top guy with great support, I have talked about owning a Radical SR3 for years but honestly it’s not in my budget to race one, but the GT3 fits exactly, and to build my own from scratch that’s half the fun anyway.

Reading the blogs you guys post is really interesting and a massive help so keep that going I love it, and I am coming to the replacement Donington race (in the next 3-4 weeks?).

Thought Duncan’s GTR at the 750 stand was lovely I had a good look around that car, hope that goes well for you this year.

The replies in this thread have at least cleared my mind, and I’m sure after my trip to the Donington RGB with the wife I will be 100% on my mission.

The beauty of a build is not the build or the drive when it’s done, it’s the sneaking the funds slowly past the wife as she remains blissfully unaware!

stevegough

posted on 7/5/13 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
No opinions on your post, but I have to say your signature line put a smile on my face!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

T66

posted on 7/5/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
No opinions on your post, but I have to say your signature line put a smile on my face!

Likewise here, my accountant is sitting chuckling at it too. Very good.

EX01

posted on 8/5/13 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough

Likewise here, my accountant is sitting chuckling at it too. Very good.

My wife is a forensic accountant and she can’t work out why I won’t let her do my company books lol
It's a divorce waiting to happen im sure!

jeffw

posted on 8/5/13 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure she has a rough idea why and lets it slide.....

jeffw

posted on 8/5/13 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
A RGB car would struggling sprinting because of the tyre/wheel combinations. If you are prepared to run separate wheels with sprint slicks or wets then you'll do OK. The other alternative is to road register it and run in A8 on list 1b tyres (Avon ZZR A24 or Kumho V700 supersofts)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.