Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi A3 3.2 - anyone had one?
nick205

posted on 7/5/13 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Audi A3 3.2 - anyone had one?

Getting terminally bored with my Passat Estate and keep looking at other cars. Last nights web trawling had me looking at Audi A3 3.2 Quattros, which seemed cheaper than I'd expected them to be. Running costs will obviously play a part in that.

Running costs aside, what are they like? Any major problems they suffer?

Looking at something like this...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif ied/advert/201304226398228/sort/default/usedcars/price-to/6000/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/price-from/4000/model/a3/make/audi/onesearchad/used/onesear chad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/so237nn/radius/60/page/1?logcode=p

[Edited on 7/5/13 by nick205]

Slimy38

posted on 7/5/13 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know about the engine or transmission, but personally I find the A3 to be a very claustrophobic car. Although the ones I've been in have all had dark head linings which really 'shrinks' the inside of the car.

Then again, I had a Golf as a hire car recently, similar dark colours inside and a similar 'coffin-like' feeling. Perhaps it's just what VAG do now?

Make sure you get an old enough car, from memory the tax bands for high polluting cars get to megabucks after 2006?

tegwin

posted on 7/5/13 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
The a3 is quite a dull car to drive.... It is very good at what it does but not hugley exciting...

For that money I would be looking at a Seat Leon Cupra R (225)....

Edit to say I have never owned an A3 quatro but I did test drive one... I have however owned a 225hp quatro TT (same platfrorm as the a3) and found it to be wanting in terms of handling and power delivery... the LCR I had (with a remap) was a LOT more fun

[Edited on 7/5/13 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Slimy38

posted on 7/5/13 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
The a3 is quite a dull car to drive.... It is very good at what it does but not hugley exciting...

For that money I would be looking at a Seat Leon Cupra R (225)....

MMMMMmmmm.....

nick205

posted on 7/5/13 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Had a Cupra TDI Leon for 3 years, one of the best cars I've had all round.

It also got me through the need to hoon about.

The 3.2 appeals in a different way, more to do with not having to thrash it. I did have a brief look at S3s, but they're a lot dearer and I suspect more frantic to drive.

Jasper

posted on 7/5/13 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Or why not a re-mapped Focus ST (275bhp), had mine a year now a really love it, only had BMW's and Volvo's before that. Done £10k in a year, it's now done 58k miles now and just went straight through it's MOT with nothing needed at all.

With the 2.5 volvo engine it has LOADS of torque and doesn't need thrashing to get going, handles beautifully and you can get loads of gear in it too, and the leather Recaro's are the comfiest seats I've ever sat in. Bit better looking than the Audi too

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

nick205

posted on 7/5/13 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Or why not a re-mapped Focus ST (275bhp), had mine a year now a really love it, only had BMW's and Volvo's before that. Done £10k in a year, it's now done 58k miles now and just went straight through it's MOT with nothing needed at all.

With the 2.5 volvo engine it has LOADS of torque and doesn't need thrashing to get going, handles beautifully and you can get loads of gear in it too, and the leather Recaro's are the comfiest seats I've ever sat in. Bit better looking than the Audi too

Thought you might be along to highlight the ST

I'll assume (hope to god) you mean 10k miles and not £10ks worth of fuel

sdh2903

posted on 7/5/13 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
I would test drive one because it might not be as "lazy" as you think. My last v6 (st220) wasn't that torquey low down and needed to be revved to get to the power band, it did make a lovely noise though.

I will second the focus st I have one now and they are very torquey low down and you get a nice shove in the back when the turbo kicks in, you can pootle around quite happily. Mine is still standard for now as I've been busy getting a few niggles sorted, front bushes (v common) strut top mounts servicing etc. Overall though I'm very happy with it, although it is a thirsty bugger, I don't do a lot of miles so it doesn't bother me but I average mid to low 20's but my commute is only 8 miles so that doesn't help.

Slimy38

posted on 7/5/13 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
I would test drive one because it might not be as "lazy" as you think. My last v6 (st220) wasn't that torquey low down and needed to be revved to get to the power band, it did make a lovely noise though.

I'd agree with that, although my current VW 2.3 V5 is far more happy low down than my old Vauxhall 2.5 V6, and the 3.2 V6 is several engines better than the V5. Then again, the Vauxhall gear ratios just seemed all over the place and needed reving to get from one gear to the next, whereas the VW lump has the best 'box I've ever owned.

stevegough

posted on 7/5/13 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Not had an A3, but I have had seven Audis, one of them an A4 Quattro - it was a 2.5 TDI, so you would expect reasonable running costs. If it was just a 2.5 TDI, it would have been fine, but, because it was a Quattro, it DRANK fuel. I struggled, taking it easy to get more than 32mpg - so expect it be be very costly to run.

If you want a suggestion - I would also agree with the SEAT, heard a lot of good things about the Cupras - but have a look at the Skoda VRS (mine's a diesel 2.0 with a slight remap it is 205 bhp) great all round car - and the biggest laugh is it returns an average of 46 mpg to boot! It is on an 07 plate and was a mere five grand!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

McLannahan

posted on 7/5/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have a quattro TT and it doesn't drink fuel at all so I wouldn't put the blame on the quattro system, rather the engine that powers it!

I get 34mpg plus out of mine (225 1.8T unchipped/mapped)

chrism

posted on 7/5/13 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
The Quattro system is different between the A4 and A3/TT Platforms. On the A4 its permanent 4 wheel drive, while on the A3 its primarily front wheel drive with an electronic clutch located near the rear diff that controls when power is sent to the rear wheels, which is why that type of quattro is more fuel efficient.

Also I believe the A3, the TT and the VW Golf all share the same basic platform (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_A_platform#PQ34) which the Seat Leon also shares.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

nick205

posted on 7/5/13 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Not had an A3, but I have had seven Audis, one of them an A4 Quattro - it was a 2.5 TDI, so you would expect reasonable running costs. If it was just a 2.5 TDI, it would have been fine, but, because it was a Quattro, it DRANK fuel. I struggled, taking it easy to get more than 32mpg - so expect it be be very costly to run.

If you want a suggestion - I would also agree with the SEAT, heard a lot of good things about the Cupras - but have a look at the Skoda VRS (mine's a diesel 2.0 with a slight remap it is 205 bhp) great all round car - and the biggest laugh is it returns an average of 46 mpg to boot! It is on an 07 plate and was a mere five grand!

Done the SEAT thing and loved it, done diesel to death, looking for something else.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.