Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering Wheels and IVA
Rosco

posted on 12/5/13 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Steering Wheels and IVA

What's the best approach to steering wheels and IVA?

It was suggested to me that I'm best to leave my donor (Sierra) wheel on for IVA as it's nice and padded, however this is pretty big restricting knee room for getting in an out of the car and it means I will probably need to make two dashboards since I'll need to put instruments in a different position for a smaller wheel.

What's your experience? Will aftermarket wheels pass IVA?

Thanks.

40inches

posted on 12/5/13 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco
What's the best approach to steering wheels and IVA?

It was suggested to me that I'm best to leave my donor (Sierra) wheel on for IVA as it's nice and padded, however this is pretty big restricting knee room for getting in an out of the car and it means I will probably need to make two dashboards since I'll need to put instruments in a different position for a smaller wheel.

What's your experience? Will aftermarket wheels pass IVA?

Thanks.

Why two dashes? Make the dash for the smaller wheel, but fit the bigger one. A bigger wheel increases the area of exemption, however an after market wheel should be ok, as long as it meets the radii and padding requirements.

blakep82

posted on 12/5/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with asking this question on here, is that it has been asked before, and the answer is usually, "don't use an aftermarket wheel, it will fail and you'll be killed to death. You must fit a sierra wheel", which simply isn't true
Below you'll see a link to the iva manual, have a look on there, I think its under protective steering? I cant remember the wording, but it'll tell you what you need to know.
You may possibly have to get info from the wheel manufacturer to confirm certain standards to make things easier, but theres no reason why it won't pass as long as the iva guidelines are met

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

doobrychat

posted on 12/5/13 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I popped into my local vosa and asked them the very same question..

the first pointed out in the IVA bible that unless the steering wheel fitted has a certificate to prove that it conforms to the steering column fitted blah blah blah go with the factory sierra one...

another time i went in i spoke to a different inspector and showed him some pics on my phone of my 10inch mountney with a centre pad and he said its a pass...

either way for my test i'm packing my wagon wheel sized sierra just in case i get the other guy..

doobrychat

posted on 12/5/13 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
found it...

Steering wheel construction
It is vital that the wheel is constructed so as to minimise the risk of facial injuries or concussion. The rim of the wheel should be padded or at least made from a material which when deformed does not splinter or fragment. The centre boss should be padded or recessed below the level of the rim. Wheels with a very deep dish are stiffer than flatter wheels and, as such will absorb less energy.
The centre boss will often be of a collapsible type comprising a convoluted crushable section or a series of metal fingers with a deliberate fold introduced to initiate a collapse.
Bolts used to secure the wheel to its boss (if exposed) should ideally be flush with the wheel surface but otherwise are required to meet the radius requirements if contactable.
Bare metal spokes are allowed as long as they conform to the edge radius requirements. Components likely to catch in the driver’s clothing or jewellery are not permitted.
Note: It is possible to fit an 'aftermarket' steering wheel which has been approved for use on any design of column. These will be referred to as “Separate Technical Units”. If the presenter can provide satisfactory documentary evidence that this is the case, a “Separate Technical Unit” may be acceptable.

Rogthebandit

posted on 15/5/13 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have fitted a quick release after market wheel. I was planning to pad the center and cover the fixing nuts ect. Im not sure what paper work is being referred to on here. I have a standard sierra wheel but its close to the front roll cage loop and i believe there is a min distance?
Cheers
Rog

Sloan85

posted on 15/5/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I havent passed the IVA yet but i hope what i have will be ok. I too have an aftermarket wheel with a quick release, collapsible boss and padded centre. The centre I made myself from scratch. I plan to disable the quick release for the IVA though.

Padded steering wheel centre

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

Mr C

posted on 15/5/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rogthebandit
I have fitted a quick release after market wheel. I was planning to pad the center and cover the fixing nuts ect. Im not sure what paper work is being referred to on here. I have a standard sierra wheel but its close to the front roll cage loop and i believe there is a min distance?
Cheers
Rog

I passed ok with a centre pad on an aftermarket wheel though I understand the quick release is a fail as the wheel needs to be bolted to the boss. I would go for a standard fixing then do some after IVA mods as required.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

Rogthebandit

posted on 15/5/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I could remove the release section and the wheel would go straight on the bose i made. I was planning to knock up a pad but nothing like yours sloan! Thats a work of art! How pick are the iva on home made pads? Do they need to look mint or would younget away with foam and tape?
Stott

posted on 15/5/13 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
I passed in December with a 10" mountney wheel, horn in centrr, no pad.

I took the spoke covers off, radiused the edges and repolished the spokes and refitted the spoke covers, sorted,

Mr C

posted on 16/5/13 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I could remove the release section and the wheel would go straight on the bose i made. I was planning to knock up a pad but nothing like yours sloan! Thats a work of art! How pick are the iva on home made pads? Do they need to look mint or would younget away with foam and tape?

They shouldn't look like a temporary after IVA throwaway fix ie with velco I made mine out of mdf a bit of foam and some leatherette, drilled toe holes in the wheel for a couple of bolts which went into rivnuts

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

40inches

posted on 16/5/13 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr C
quote:

They shouldn't look like a temporary after IVA throwaway fix ie with velco I made mine out of mdf a bit of foam and some leatherette, drilled toe holes in the wheel for a couple of bolts which went into rivnuts

Yep! They need to be made for purpose, not some foam or carpet wrapped around.
Sloan85 has done the perfect job, you couldn't do better than to copy his. You could skip the MK logo, I think

Rogthebandit

posted on 16/5/13 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ya, i recon i will make one that looks fit for the job. I have used stick foam on the gear stick and handbrake and also on the edges of panels in and out of the car. Are they ok with stuff like that? Just rying to cover edges that maybe questionable

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.