Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra outer CV joint?
adithorp

posted on 17/5/13 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra outer CV joint?

Having (hopefully) sorted my engine, I turned my attention to other stuff that needs attention.

Had a vibration on over-run and it turns out my n/s outer driveshaft joint if fubar.

Checked with some of my suppliers and they're only showing one choice but... not available.

Are all Sierra, push in, drum brake shafts/cv's the same?
Has anybody got an outer CV joint they could part with?

[Edited on 17/5/13 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 17/5/13 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't got 1 spare but found this for you!

CV Joint Outer Ford Sierra 2 9/89 12/91 | eBay

They have them for all yrs and models

Hope it helps

Aaron

[Edited on 17/5/13 by Aaron_n_Sim]

Work to Live don't Live to Work

loggyboy

posted on 17/5/13 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Generally the push-in CVs arent servicable as they were considered fairly indistructable. I did see someone selling some of the internals (new) on ebay few months ago but were snapped up quite fast. I had them on my donor and wanted to refurb, but the issue I had is Ford cant get many parts for them, one of the main parts is the outer cans, and when I asked them about a year ago they had 3 in the whole of the country and I needed 4, so I gave up and switched my plans over to bolts ons, (as I wanted 'all new parts' for mine and having a reciept for 'new' shortened driveshafts from RAW and brand NEW CVs would look good.)

You would be better switching to bolt-ons or finding a set of new shafts (IF your using standard length shafts).

If you arent using standard length shafts then it will be hard to dismatle them without detroying the cans as they are a press fit. Haynes suggest cutting them off allthough I have heard of people managing to hammer them off, but I cant see this being easy without causing damage.
I could not find anyone making Aftermarket replacements for ANY parts of the push in CVs.
The other thing to consider is a trial of the 4wd front CVs internals as these use a similar set up, but being cossie items theres always a premium and theres no guarantee they will fit. Im sure somesone would have tried by now!

If you can get your cans odd cleanly I have a full set (ie 4 cvs) of stripped internals that are in good nick. (just minus cans and one of the nylon caps that seal the end of the can)

[Edited on 17-5-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 17/5/13 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron_n_Sim

Hope it helps

Aaron

Sadly all (common) ebay ones are for Bolt on shafts.

Mistral Motorsport

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 17/5/13 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Hope it helps

Aaron

Sadly all (common) ebay ones are for Bolt on shafts.

If ordered for 85 1.6 they'll be 80mm push in

loggyboy

posted on 17/5/13 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
No they wont!

Not because the 1.6s were bolt on, but because that advert LIES! lol

Mistral Motorsport

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 17/5/13 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are 85/86 1.3 80mm push in actually just checked, had bits from so many different places!

Aaron

adithorp

posted on 17/5/13 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Getting them apart isn't the issue. 30+ years of doing it far a living...

Unfortunatly the shafts are hybrid Sierra/Freelander. So even a replacement shaft would have to be stripped for the Sierra bits to swap over. Swapping to bolt-on would be a bind as well. Loggy, if nothing else works out I may come back to you for your internals.

Are all the push-in joints the same though?

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 17/5/13 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Getting them apart isn't the issue. 30+ years of doing it far a living...

Unfortunatly the shafts are hybrid Sierra/Freelander. So even a replacement shaft would have to be stripped for the Sierra bits to swap over. Swapping to bolt-on would be a bind as well. Loggy, if nothing else works out I may come back to you for your internals.

Are all the push-in joints the same though?

I'm not sure if they're all the same my ford master mechanic is on his hols, calling your local dealer and getting a helpful guy in parts is always a handy one, but check my photos I've uploaded a picture of my shaft, if the outer is what you are after then I'll send you the link for the part.

Aaron

loggyboy

posted on 17/5/13 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm not sure if they're all the same my ford master mechanic is on his hols, calling your local dealer and getting a helpful guy in parts is always a handy one, but check my photos I've uploaded a picture of my shaft, if the outer is what you are after then I'll send you the link for the part.

Aaron

Id be interested if you know where to get outer cans.

Mistral Motorsport

big-vee-twin

posted on 17/5/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have a push in shaft for drivers side if you think you can use it for bits.

Work in Leeds so we could meet on the 62. I have spent all day stuck on it today!

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 17/5/13 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Aaron

Id be interested if you know where to get outer cans.

Like I said 85/86 1.3 not 1.6 that was my error same link I posted before check his other item he does them for all years and model of sierra!

Hope it helps

Aaron

loggyboy

posted on 17/5/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
You wont get a push in cv for £17 from that link, and that link is for a CV, not a can!

Mistral Motorsport

rdodger

posted on 17/5/13 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
This might help Adi

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=130896

Litemoth

posted on 17/5/13 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Having (hopefully) sorted my engine, I turned my attention to other stuff that needs attention.

Had a vibration on over-run and it turns out my n/s outer driveshaft joint if fubar.

Checked with some of my suppliers and they're only showing one choice but... not available.

Are all Sierra, push in, drum brake shafts/cv's the same?
Has anybody got an outer CV joint they could part with?

[Edited on 17/5/13 by adithorp]

Two different sizes of Tripode (push-ins) - Just shortened and refurbished mine. Mine were the larger of the two options and from an XR4i. The shaft size is different in relation to the joint size too.

The ones I have come into contact with are the same (interchangeable) as far as spline/hub/diff interfaces are concerned
The bearings on mine were fine but were available from eBay and are available in two sizes in relation to the larger/smaller joints

The cans ARE READILY AVAILABLE FROM FORD DEALERS and come with clips, o ring, boot, grease and can. They are about £14 a kit.

Two sizes of can available Ford Part number 1058426 (smaller) 1058427 (larger approx. 65mm across i/d of can, smaller about 60mm)

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

adithorp

posted on 18/5/13 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
My shaft is 27mm ish. and I'm finding info that shows that as a 23spline shaft. Anybody able to confirm?

Measured the "can and it's around 75mm o/d which seems quite big to be 65mm i/d...

I'm reluctant to strip yet as I need the workshop space this week so need to be able to move it around.

Litemoth

posted on 18/5/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
My bad. The larger joints/cans are 77mm O/D - smaller 70 O/D... just been out with a vernier and not just relying on an obviously ropey memory.

The smaller shafts are ~ 24mm. the larger ~ 27mm

I have used a larger shaft assembly on a set up that originally had the smaller shaft and mated the splined hub & diff successfully (the splines that go from the shaft into the trilobes are larger/smaller in relation to the shaft size but the splines that are on the outer ends of the trilobe joint (The bits that go through wheel hub and into the diff) are the same for both larger and smaller shafts. (At least on the ones I have) Hope this makes sense.

[Edited on 18/5/13 by Litemoth]

adithorp

posted on 18/5/13 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers. Confirms I appear to have 2lt shafts/CV. Remeasured the can @77mm o/s.

"Hybridisation" turns out to be a simple swap of the outer part of the Freelander inner joint and boot with the Sierra. The trilobes are the same size.

adithorp

posted on 21/5/13 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Managed trace a shaft/joint from Fury and they have the cans in stock. As I've had the current can off twice I thought it best to put a new one on. I got a can/boot kit through my local ford dealer. They're not a stock item but VOR next day delivery.

Not quite "unobtainium" yet...

loggyboy

posted on 21/5/13 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Managed trace a shaft/joint from Fury and they have the cans in stock. As I've had the current can off twice I thought it best to put a new one on. I got a can/boot kit through my local ford dealer. They're not a stock item but VOR next day delivery.

Not quite "unobtainium" yet...

Happy to be proved wrong on this one as I might be able to rebuild my shafts and sell them on now!

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.