Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Puma camshaft advice
I predict a Riot

posted on 18/5/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Puma camshaft advice

I recently acquired two sets of camshafts for a Ford Puma 1.7l Sigma engine.

One set is a standard ford unaltered set the other is, I have been assured, a re-profiled standard set ground to racing puma spec.

Now there are no numbers or distinguishing marks on either set except, what I assume, are casting numbers.

I believe that racing puma cams are only a very mild tune of the standard cams and I believe the exhaust cams are identical.

Visually I can't see any difference in the two sets.

So my questions are:-

Are the statements above correct,

Does anyone have the specifications for the racing puma cams.

How can I reliably tell the difference before, and if, I commit myself to installing the racing puma cams.

Thanks for any help.

Adrian.

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

will121

posted on 18/5/13 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
do you have anything to measure the lift of the cams like micrometer or verniers to see any difference? if so measure the base circle then cam peak and subtract one from other. Best way though is to measure lift with a DTI against angle then can also see any cam duration diferances too

[Edited on 18/5/13 by will121]

snapper

posted on 18/5/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Without the cam specifications and as it it a home garage fit
Don't do it
That said if it is just a base circle regrind the the lobe centres will be similar, there might be a reprofling of the lift ramp etc
It would worry me to just slap in some cams without knowing what the max valve lift is at tdc

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

johnH20

posted on 22/5/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
FRP cams are listed on the Piper website. However it is very difficult to compare cam timing as different people have different ways of specifying it ie. at what checking clearance etc. I don't have the data to hand but on the basis that I have been able to establish FRP cams are different on both inlet and exhaust. There is also a timing difference, the FRP exhaust is advanced I think by 6 deg. There is a special cam checking tool for this, the std Puma will not do.
It is true that FRP cams are fairly mild ( I think they were emissions limited ) and there are other potentially better options available. Depends what you are looking for - if it was me though I would be wary of anything that is a regrind especially if I was not 100% confident of the source.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.