Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hot Tel Tale lamp - this is probably a very stupid question!
mcg

posted on 22/5/13 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hot Tel Tale lamp - this is probably a very stupid question!

In the process of installing the C20XE (standard injection) into my F27, a number of fault codes were showing up, hence the check ECU light was on for a considerable time. The lamp is a standard CBS tell tale with aluminum radius-ed bezel. After I switched the engine off on a particular test run (it had been ticking over for a good 10 mins with the warning lamp on), I happened to touch the lamp, and it was bloomin' roasting! Almost too hot to touch, but certainly to hot to rest the palm of your hand on!

Am I being stupid, as that is obviously what happens when you leave a bulb on for 10 minutes - it gets hot, or could I have wired it wrong causing it to be excessively hot?

I have subsequently fixed all of the faults on the engine, so the check ECU light no longer illuminates. (Very satisfying, diagnosing the faults on the ECU and fixing!!)

Quick sense check please!

Thanks

Matt

Peteff

posted on 22/5/13 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
If a bulb is too hot or has too much power running through it blows the element and goes out. They are like a fuse in that respect.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeRJ

posted on 22/5/13 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Was the actual lamp supplied with the lamp holder, and if not not have you fitted one with too high a rating?
mcg

posted on 22/5/13 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Was the actual lamp supplied with the lamp holder, and if not not have you fitted one with too high a rating?

I cant remember as I grabbed it out of a box of bits! I should check. What rating should I look to for these tell tale lamps?

SPYDER

posted on 22/5/13 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Many warning lamps use the BA7s type bulb which is typically 2W. I have seen warning lamps with 1/2W bulbs.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.