Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA emissions GSXR 1000 k2
doobrychat

posted on 23/5/13 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
IVA emissions GSXR 1000 k2

Hi

i have my IVA next week and done an emissions check on a sun gas analyser and with the CAT hot is well under the limit..

took it my local MOT centre earlier and there emissions machine is different to the Sun one but goverment approved..

my Co is 0.05 and hhc is 93 which is the same on both machines but the MOT one shows my lambda reading and that's well high..

can anyone advise on how i can get this down?

thanks in advance.

matt_gsxr

posted on 23/5/13 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
i think you must have additional air getting into your exhaust (not from the engine)

See this http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h56.pdf

40inches

posted on 23/5/13 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you can't find an exhaust leak, you have some headway on emissions, you could try richening the mixture very slightly.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 23/5/13 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Playing with the fuelling may well be the only answer here (as long as there's nothing else obviously contributing). I'm very impressed with the figures though, given that this is an old K2 without an ECU lambda feedback loop.

The Suzuki mapped fuel mixture at the low end of things on the bike is a compromise between emmissions and noise, even on the old K2.

Other workarounds include backing off the fuel pressure..... something (along with a dual catalyst can bodge) that I perform once a year. The car won't drive, but it will pass an MoT emmissions test. The laptop has to be present, PC fuel map adjusted on line, with the Mot sensor up the tailpipe.

doobrychat

posted on 23/5/13 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yes indeed.. 1 on lambda is correct AFR because i am over its running to lean... Off to Bob Farnham tomorrow to borrow his Yoshi box and another day of tweeking..

alltho one has said to remove the clean air system and see what that does..

do they check the emissions with bonnet off or on?

at Gillingham centre when i was there that had the bonnets off and driving them around the yard etc..

40inches

posted on 23/5/13 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Wthout the KLEEN system on the ZX9R, I couldn't get anywhere near the correct emissions.

doobrychat

posted on 26/5/13 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
i have been playing with my fueling all day now with a yoshi box on a gsxr 1000 ecu...

co and hc are well below but my lambda is high even after over fueling it.. the trouble is my cat works too well...

has anyone come across this with a bike engine and fast flow cat?

thanks in advance

40inches

posted on 26/5/13 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Can you adjust the mixture at a set point, 2500-3000? Also, can you watch the lambda reading as you enrichen the mixture?

doobrychat

posted on 26/5/13 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
hi

seen it all today... just cant figure it out.. the best i can get lambda is AFR18.63 with Co5.53 and hc340

put back to standard with co 0.3 hc 48 but afr 23.86.. the problem is the cat drawing all those nasty gases out to well.. I really want to see its pre cat emissions but time is short now.. I might take the power commander off my bike but i don't think thats going to make any difference..

matt_gsxr

posted on 26/5/13 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried blowing some compressed air into the tailpipe with the engine off?

I'd be very surprised if you engine would actually run at all if the true AFR is 23, surely you must be an exhaust leak where additional air is getting to the sensor.

doobrychat

posted on 26/5/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
hi

absolutely well and truly no blows and bad welding... all four headers pipes are leak free and the rest is all one piece.. been over it all with a fine tooth comb.. reads better with cat cold.. cat hot changes everything...

i am ready to remove it for good!

40inches

posted on 26/5/13 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
From my messing with the emissions, I found the cat didn't have any effect on the lambda reading, the lambda was almost the same, with or without the cat. As Matt says, it looks very much like an exhaust leak.
Can you measure O2? I would put money on that it will be high.
An exhaust leak would give:
Low CO
Low CO2
Low HC
High O2

A lean mixture would give:
low CO
Low CO2
High HC
High O2

It took me about 2 weeks and 5 gallons on fuel to get to grips with it, all the way through I wished I had
fuel injection, and a Power Cammander. Not so sure now

[Edited on 26-5-13 by 40inches]

doobrychat

posted on 26/5/13 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
surely a leak that would cause poor AFR would make fairy liquid bubble from cold.. i have compressed air so will make a bung and back fill it tomorrow... smells nice now tho...
40inches

posted on 26/5/13 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry you are not nearer, I have a full 5 gas analyser you could play with.
Would this be any help?

40inches

posted on 26/5/13 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Another thing I found, was that after a few hours of low speed engine running, a new set of spark plugs worked wonders.

doobrychat

posted on 26/5/13 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
don't be sorry. I do appreciate all the info and help from you and others on here... Its a good job its not here as i'd be out there doing it right now...
doobrychat

posted on 26/5/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
one machine to another..

matt_gsxr

posted on 26/5/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Does gsxr1000 have an air injection system?

I don't understand air injection systems beyond the fact that I think they put additional air into exhaust to help the CAT and that most people block these off!

matt_gsxr

posted on 26/5/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
bit more info here
https://www.motomummy.com/smog-block-off-plates/graves-suzuki/gsxr-pair-valve-blockoff-plates/

and enough search terms for you to google better than me.

doobrychat

posted on 26/5/13 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
yes it does have that set up....

going to tinker more tomorrow and will come back with results..

40inches

posted on 27/5/13 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doobrychat
one machine to another..

Same problem that I had, drove me nuts, the O2 is very high, and the CO2 is low. O2 should be less than 0.5 and the CO2 more than 14%.
This indicates an exhaust leak, and like you I couldn't find one, until I stripped the exhaust back to the header and rebuilt using
CarPlan fire putty, and bingo, Lambda down to 1.01 and HC up to around 100ppm.

doobrychat

posted on 27/5/13 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
back filled the exhaust today... and yes at 50psi and washing up liquid has shown a few very slight leak around the header pipe collars.. you cant hear or see it when its running.. i to have exhaust paste on the inside of the collars and a little round the edges.. going to get some new gaskets tomorrow and then pressure test it all again.. hopefully be set up and under the limits before thursday...

Nothing like a last minute drama eh?

Rogthebandit

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Im in the same boat, i have my test on friday this week, loocking forward to it but i had the car in the garage today and we tried to get the emissons rigth with the PC but couldnt get it stable to get a pass reading. The engine was hunting. I did have a slight leak from the back box clamp but i putted it up and dont think its leaking now. At one point all readings were good but then it suddenly drifted. Not sure why. A guy is looking at it tomoz at a fair hourly rate but it he gets it right thats all i want. Failing that i take it to the iva and it fails on emisssions.
Cheers
Rog

doobrychat

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
i too have spent many hours with mine... first tune with a yoshi box then managed to get suzuki sds.. got fed up with flaffing around so i took the pc3 usb of my k6 1000 and fitted that and now bang on map for idle and fast idle...

told ya a pc3usb of a k5/6 1000 will fit a k1/k2... hehehehehehehe

Rogthebandit

posted on 29/5/13 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
That's good if ya got the readings ok, I have the k6 engine in mine. I am using the pc5. What sort of map values have you ended up with to get the reading ok? I was trying several different values which changed the reading but I just couldn't stop the engine hunting
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.