Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes bmw
Mark100

posted on 24/5/13 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Haynes bmw

Looking for information on the modification needed for bmwe36 front and rear hubs
the book says some is needed but that's it and i carnt find anything specific on here does anyone have a buildthread or something for these bits
Thanks Mark

rodgling

posted on 24/5/13 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
What do you want to do with them? I'm running these but on a GKD not a Haynes Roadster.
Mark100

posted on 24/5/13 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I want to run them on the Haynes to use my favourite wheels and the bmw brake setup I already have and as the car will be powerd by a 2.8i m52 engine possibley with a turbo and definatly with nos I think I might need them
rodgling

posted on 24/5/13 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm. My experience is that you can't get hold of lightweight BMW wheels below 16", and that the stock brakes are rubbish and very very heavy.

I've redrilled the hubs to 5x114.3 (MR2) fitment so I can fit lightweight 15" wheels, and used Wilwood powerlites with two-piece discs on the front. The brakes alone saved me 5 kg per corner. These did a great job on their first outing at Brands a few weeks ago, even with an M3 evo engine.

So I would recommend considering that route instead of using the BMW parts.

Mark100

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
well im after the hubs for the bmw consistancey of the car and i may be abel to get some form of sponsorship form bmw for events with some livery but not if half the car is a ford.
The wheels are easy the e39 came with lightweight splitrim 15" 7.5's there a bit rare on the ground but finding rare wheels is a sideline money maker for me anyway so that should not be dificult.
The brakes i found my old e36's (318 turbo converted . 325i x2 and 328i x3 ) stopped quite well with better pads and vented discs so in the haynes with it being so much lighter should not be an issue as such
But i do need the hubbs info if anyone has an idea
im prosumeing the rears will be the hole size of the tube maybe the depth and the angle of the brake mounting plate
the fronts i have no clue anyone ????????
Thanks Mark

Talon Motorsport

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Copy the bottom mounting plate of the OE BMW McPhearson and add a 3mm wall tube to it at about 3-5' to add some caster, make sure you can get a socket up the inside of it. As your mounting a tube to a flat plate use four gussets to hold it in place and weld fully. You'll need to get a top hat turned for each side with the right taper and weld it to the tube. You could always ask GKD for a few pics of how they do theirs?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark100

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply
Youve totaly lost me there are we talking about the fronts in witch case what about the backs and as i have a pair of the fronts sierra with mushrooms sell them as a hole or keep the mushrooms and buy complete new fronts dont trust my welding if were getting that technical im now thinking ive got more cash than skill gkd ones fit on haynes wishbones ????? or new wishbones in witch case i may need to dump the idea espence wise

rodgling

posted on 29/5/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Stock brakes are easily powerful enough and will stop the car no problem but they are very heavy and don't give very good feel.

GKD use modified BMW front uprights.

Mark100

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
just been looking might see if i can get some gkd front uprights the site does list seperatly the brakes will only be stock for the calipers and they wont be as assisted so that should be less sponge ???
rodgling

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Peter from GKD will be happy to supply uprights, I'm sure. I think he usually modifies ones that you send him, or does them on exchange, but he's very helpful so give him a call.

They use E36 non-m3 brakes as standard, but I found them very spongy as not only are they the sliding single-pot type, but in their wisdom, BMW designed them to slide on a rubber bush which allows quite a bit of slop.

Mark100

posted on 30/5/13 at 02:29 AM Reply With Quote
cheers rod he's been messaged didnt think i should phone at 3 am Last night shift then a few days of playtime with the car
ftaffy

posted on 16/7/13 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Mark,

Late reply but thought i would share what i did to get the BMW front uprights to fit.

I had inserts made up which slide inside the Mcpherson strut towers. The struts were cut down and the inserts just slide inside. Then welded around the edge.
The attachment to the upper arm is via a vertical 1/2" HT bolt which goes through a rose joint with nord lock washers used to stop it coming undone.

Lower was to get two rings turned up which match the BMW to allow the lower BJ to be pressed.

This means the upper and lower arms are just about the same as the haynes roadster in terms of construction.

Rears are a right off, had to make full custom and then get VW Golf rear calipers (Same as GKD).

Will get some photos tonight, cant see them while at work... photobucket is blocked.

cheers,
Taffy

ftaffy

posted on 16/7/13 at 02:26 AM Reply With Quote
double post, sorry.

[Edited on 16/7/13 by ftaffy]

ftaffy

posted on 16/7/13 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote

This should give an idea, note i am also made custom rack ends which are not in this pic.

Cheers,
Taffy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.