Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: absolute manace - she should be locked up....
02GF74

posted on 25/5/13 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
absolute manace - she should be locked up....

police over react???

rusty nuts

posted on 25/5/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
We live in a world gone mad!!
whitestu

posted on 25/5/13 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Every year the massive 1ft diameter cheese has been rolled down the hill

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen! What if the massive 1ft cheese rolled into a nuclear power station? It could set off a chain reaction that might kill millions!

Sounds like a lot better use of police time than bothering criminals!

JoelP

posted on 25/5/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
It's more dodgy reporting really. She hasn't been banned at all, just advised that if she is seen as an organiser then she could end up sued. Simple solution is to sell them the damn cheese.

I'm guessing the police don't want it to happen due to the expense of policing it etc.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

v8kid

posted on 25/5/13 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
It's more dodgy reporting really. She hasn't been banned at all, just advised that if she is seen as an organiser then she could end up sued. Simple solution is to sell them the damn cheese.

I'm guessing the police don't want it to happen due to the expense of policing it etc.

"advice" can mean a multitude of things.

From the report she obviously feels threatened and sounds traumatised - so would you at that age if some cops turned up at your door telling you all the bad things that would happen to you is you did not do as they said.

Shame on them for getting into this situation and shame on the chief constasble for not putting it right with the old dear and letting us know.

The cops may be correct but do they really need to terrorise an old woman?

Would they try the same tactics with me? ........I think not!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 26/5/13 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
yp - t'is a crazy world indeed. if people want to take part in the 'dangerous' activity of chasing a lump of rotten milk down a hill, then leave them be. they should be intelligent to assess the risks themselves; a hell of a lot more people break limbs, necks and die skiing, skateboarding, horsie riding, rugby etc than in this event yet the police to do not prevent the partakers enjoying those pasttimes.

scootz

posted on 26/5/13 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:

From the report she obviously feels threatened and sounds traumatised - so would you at that age if some cops turned up at your door telling you all the bad things that would happen to you is you did not do as they said.

Shame on them for getting into this situation and shame on the chief constasble for not putting it right with the old dear and letting us know.

Funny how we all differ in the way we interpret things!

My automatic reaction is that the old dear would have had a fair few sensational phrases forced on her by the 'reporter'. Seen them do it so many times before. No-one would be interested in the story if it was just a 'quiet word in her lughole'... so lets have her 'terrified'!!!

Whilst she may not have appreciated the police input, I don't believe for a second that they treated her in a bully-boy style. The event is aleady under national focus, so I'll bet my bottom dollar that whoever was sent to speak to her was told by his / her boss to wear kid gloves! Not that it matters... the story will just get twisted anyway!

Anyway, is it not better that she's advised about the potential ramifications... rather than possibly face them because she wasn't aware of them in the first place!

As for the 'event' itself!? A load of bloody nonsense! The NHS is bursting at the seams whilst trying to deal with serious naturally occurring issues. It simply can't function when folk are presenting themselves with injuries sustained in such stupid circumstances!

It's Evolution Baby!

se7en

posted on 26/5/13 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

As for the 'event' itself!? A load of bloody nonsense! The NHS is bursting at the seams whilst trying to deal with serious naturally occurring issues. It simply can't function when folk are presenting themselves with injuries sustained in such stupid circumstances!

Does that apply to those of us who parachute and break limbs, or those who hang-glide & paraglide, or those of us who drive a car around a race track, etc. It could happen to any of us in most sports that we participate. I agree with you that it puts unnecessary pressure on NHS services. Is it time for everyone that participates in a sport/activity to have medical insurance?

MikeRJ

posted on 26/5/13 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm struggling with this a bit. It's a silly tradition, but clearly plenty of people have a lot of fun doing it and I wouldn't want want to see it stopped on the grounds of "Health and Safety". Inevitably there is the odd broken limb, and I believe any participants should be made fully aware of the danger and should sign a disclaimer to that effect.

However, any additional load on the NHS must be negligible in the grand scheme of things, I suspect there are thousands more injuries caused from from skateboarding, mountain biking etc.

[Edited on 26/5/13 by MikeRJ]

v8kid

posted on 26/5/13 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:

Funny how we all differ in the way we interpret things!

My automatic reaction is that the old dear would have had a fair few sensational phrases forced on her by the 'reporter'. Seen them do it so many times before. No-one would be interested in the story if it was just a 'quiet word in her lughole'... so lets have her 'terrified'!!!

Whilst she may not have appreciated the police input, I don't believe for a second that they treated her in a bully-boy style. The event is aleady under national focus, so I'll bet my bottom dollar that whoever was sent to speak to her was told by his / her boss to wear kid gloves! Not that it matters... the story will just get twisted anyway!

Anyway, is it not better that she's advised about the potential ramifications... rather than possibly face them because she wasn't aware of them in the first place!

I take your point that reporters will "look" for a sensational story. However we tend to judge situations from our own perspective and we can't expect an old person to be as robust as we are.

Also the cops should have anticipated this; thats why Its to their shame that they put themselves in this position - if a wpc had been there or another member of the family there is a fair chance it could not have been misinterpreted. Having got to this position its up to the boss, the chief constable where press are concerned to defuse the situation.

Badly managed from whatever perspective.

But then I'm not a cop

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 26/5/13 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kidI take your point that reporters will "look" for a sensational story. However we tend to judge situations from our own perspective and we can't expect an old person to be as robust as we are.

You've never tried to get to the front in a Post Office pension queue. You'll soon see just how robust some of them can be especially the women

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

02GF74

posted on 27/5/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

I'm struggling with this a bit. It's a silly tradition, but clearly plenty of people have a lot of fun doing it and I wouldn't want want to see it stopped on the grounds of "Health and Safety". Inevitably there is the odd broken limb, and I believe any participants should be made fully aware of the danger and should sign a disclaimer to that effect.

A lot of fun was had by all, and yes, the hill is that steep!

.... apart from the geezer in the red shirt - the shoe is still on his foot and if you check your own legs, then you will realise that something is not quite right. Surprisingly there was no ambulance or St Johnies on stand by - ambulance took at least 20 mins to arrive - ouch!

scimjim

posted on 27/5/13 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I live near the hill - one of my neighbours took this:

Slimy38

posted on 28/5/13 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

You can see this in action by simply reading the same story from different reporters. Read the Daily Mail and you're likely to hear about her held at gun point until the event was over. Go to the BBC and she got a polite warning. Go to the Sun and, well actually I'd rather not even consider what version of events they would come up with but at least there would be a pair of b00bs on offer somewhere (hopefully not hers!).

whitestu

posted on 28/5/13 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

They definitely shouldn't treat anybody turning up injured after crashing in one of those sill plastic home made cars, particularly if they have been on a track!

Be careful what you wish for!

Stu

Peteff

posted on 28/5/13 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

And anyone who smokes or drinks really should not expect the same level of care as someone who has done their best to stay fit and active by climbing mountains and walking the wilderness away from dangerous traffic only to find themselves in need of rescue and treatment due to being caught out by inclement weather.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Strontium Dog

posted on 28/5/13 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
From what I understand, the "authorities" wanted to start charging people to enter or even watch the event. The organisers said no and so the "authorities" decided to shut them down using the police as their tool to do it.

As has been said already, there are plenty of dangerous activities that you can do, mountain climbing, skating, or swimming in the sea. It's just that it would be harder to charge people for that but as everyone doing this is gathered in one place they thought they would be easy pickings for some extra taxing via a charge to compete or spectate. Personally I'm glad they stood up/fell down for their right to carry on a 100yr old tradition!

As to police intimidation, yes we all know they do it and to have three burly officers in uniform to "advise" an old lady in her 80's would seem a little OTT when a single officer, perhaps a community liaison officer, would have done the job without the risk of "accidentally" appearing heavy handed! She could of course be a cheese wielding maniac, but I don't think so somehow!

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

RK

posted on 28/5/13 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just go back to handing out free heroin. That will teach everyone how to have a proper good time.

Won't it?

DarrenW

posted on 31/5/13 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't it be terrible if she made the cheese to as a show piece for the shop and someone nicked it, then used it in the event!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.