Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: track day driving help for a novice
daniel mason

posted on 25/5/13 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
track day driving help for a novice

hi guys. did my first ever track session at croft in the morning session today and really enjoyed it. i didnt get chance to get any tuition as my car developed another fault after lunch but my driving style was not suited to track driving. i seemed to brake too late into the corners after the longer straights meaning i was carrying too much speed into the corners and missing the apexes, sometimes locking the fronts and running wide.
i seemed to stomp on the brake pedal a bit and then stomp on the throttle to sort myself out and was not smooth at all. it was my first day on track and i was courtious to others. letting the faster cars through and never had an 'off' at all.
for referance i was quicker than most of the road cars mx5's vxr astras etc but couldnt pass 2x impreza turbos (one an estate) or a 180bhp lotus elise!
and the 2 x r400 caterham, ginettas,westy hayabusas and all the race cars were way quicker than me

any advice on how i can neaten things up and improve lap times? videos etc. as i was unsure when i should be on the brakes,turning in,on the throttle etc. cheers guys

rodgling

posted on 25/5/13 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Tuition and experience/practice really. Good tuition can be hugely worth it.
Worzey

posted on 25/5/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
What tyres and tyre pressures where you using? I found track focused tyres (R888's) made a huge impact for me.

Caterham R400

catman

posted on 25/5/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Most novice drivers will turn in too early then run out of road. On most corners you should brake in a straight line then turn in later than you think you should, hit the apex then gradually power on, slow in = fast out, if your faster out of the corner you will carry that extra speed all the way down the next straight. On the other hand, go in too early or too fast and the compromised reduced exit speed will affect speed all the way down the straight. Get the right line and the speed will come. Try to go too fast too early on the wrong lines will result in frustration.

HTH

Ed

caged supersix
Carbon/GRP
210 bhp silvertop
190 lbft

mark chandler

posted on 25/5/13 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Tuition is key, you are suffering from novice red mist which clears quickly

Fast is smooth, as you get better you can brake right into the apex while turning through the bend and accelerate out but first you need to nail the lines and gradually increase your speed which will feel slower, this is deceptive as you carry more speed as you become fluent.

Try and pick someone that knows what they are doing and follow them if you cannot bag an instructor.

[Edited on 25/5/13 by mark chandler]

daniel mason

posted on 25/5/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
i think your right. i was getting a tad frustrated as i was slower than all the kit cars. and way slower than the racers but a fair bit quicker than the road cars. i tried to follow the imprezas and lotuses who i was similar paced to but didnt have enough grunt to pass them even though i was quicker in tight bends and chicane. croft is a fast circuit though so did not suit my car. id be better on a slower,tighter circuit

rick1962uk

posted on 25/5/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
the best advice you can have is to book uo tuition just about every track day has race drivers you can rent for a short time costs very but it is the best way to get faster i have been doing track days for a few years now and can mix it with most but always go for help at new tracks you wont believe how much they can take off your lap times when you book your track day up just ask
RK

posted on 25/5/13 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
The instructor will guide you as to lines, but of course they all have their favourite ways of getting around. Once you have the lines, you can work on braking and smoothness. Always plan ahead, watch for the flag stations, and get used to getting passed; it is no big deal; just hold your line, and have them find their own way around. I am new at it too, but just finished a two and a half day school, therefore I am a complete expert. Oh, and check the internet: it has everything.

ps it's fun though isn't it!!???

[Edited on 25/5/13 by RK]

daniel mason

posted on 26/5/13 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
great fun

rb968

posted on 26/5/13 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Glad you enjoyed it Dan.
But a shame you had issues. I am gutted I couldn't make it especially as the weather looked great.

Have to agree with the others that some tuition is a good idea but smoothness is the key.

Any videos?

Rich

daniel mason

posted on 26/5/13 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
no videos mate. dont have a camera. was great fun and was really warm all day.i managed to find the limits of the furys grip and brakes on a few occasions and both were good. i just got caught up chasing quicker cars as the red mist set in.

rb968

posted on 27/5/13 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good. That's the best place to be finding the limits!
britishtrident

posted on 27/5/13 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by catman
Most novice drivers will turn in too early then run out of road. On most corners you should brake in a straight line then turn in later than you think you should, hit the apex then gradually power on, slow in = fast out, if your faster out of the corner you will carry that extra speed all the way down the next straight. On the other hand, go in too early or too fast and the compromised reduced exit speed will affect speed all the way down the straight. Get the right line and the speed will come. Try to go too fast too early on the wrong lines will result in frustration.

HTH

Ed

You can't go wrong doing the above Good classic advice. :-)

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.