Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Solid state fuel pump problem
cfc999

posted on 25/5/13 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Solid state fuel pump problem

Managed to get my xflow going for the first time today but running very roughly with lots of poping and banding.
My question is should my fuel pump tick constantly.
I thought once it was up to pressure it should stop.
I've tried a old facet solid state and a new cheaper eBay special. Both continue to pump even if I clamp the fuel line shut. Will this over pressure the carbs forcing too much fuel in causing my rough running.
Checked the ignition timing and adjusted it using a strobe so it's bang on.
The carbs came off another engine so will need setting up so not too worried about the rough running.
Cheers
Chris

[Edited on 25/5/13 by cfc999]

[Edited on 25/5/13 by cfc999]

Trollyjack

posted on 25/5/13 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
have you got a pressure regulator between the pump and the carb

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cfc999

posted on 25/5/13 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
No Ive not fitter a presure regulator. Was under the impression I didnt need one for this type of fuel pump.
Cheers
Chrisu

spiderman

posted on 25/5/13 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
SU type pumps stop pumping when up to pressure, have one fitted to my Locost. Facet type continue to pump as they have a bypass valve in them, have one in my GT6, it also has a fuel pressure regulator fitted although I am not sure if it is necessary as it was fitted by previous owner and have not tried it without. I am going to change it to an SU type as the continuous ticking is annoying and loud, unless I can locate it to somewhere I can't hear it.

Spider

Valtra

posted on 26/5/13 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Pump won't stop running , why would it ? A pressure regulator would be a good idea I would think if only to even out and damp the flow . The engine is running that's the main thing . what sort of carb/s are you using ? once it / they are setup you should be away

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

r1_pete

posted on 26/5/13 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
These are good little pumps MGB FUEL PUMP ( ELECTRONIC ) | eBay

I ran one on my MGB with Zetec and zzr1100 bike carbs, also running one on the E Type now.

It is an interrupter type, so will stop when up to pressure, and just pump enough to maintain pressure.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cfc999

posted on 27/5/13 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Im running twin 40 dellorto's. As you have said very happy to have the engine up and running. Leaking water from the thermostat housing so need to sort that out next.
No idea what I'm doing with the carbs so planning to take it to Protec in Preston to get the carbs set up.
At the moment it die's when I try and open the throttle and run's roughly. Hope this is down to the carbs.
Has anyone used someone in Lancs to set up carbs. Need to be able to set up a old school engine rather thsn you modern fuel injection/maped stuff

Valtra

posted on 27/5/13 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Could help you in Lincs but not Lancs . once it's set up it will run and perform well but a year or two down the line it will need it again when it goes off tune , that's why I've now gone down the injection route ( not without trauma) but carbs are fun and it is something everybody needs to go through

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

cfc999

posted on 27/5/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought with regards my solid state fuel pump issue (keeps running) I've not got the fuel cap fitted to the tank so could this be the source of my problem. It's just taped up at the mo and not air tight.
Cheers
Chris

Ben_Copeland

posted on 27/5/13 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
You don't want the fuel tank to be air tight. The pump will cause a vacuum and squeeze the sides in. It needs a vent.
Plus in summer if the tanks sealed it'll expand with the heat.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.