Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Setting up website help
watsonpj

posted on 28/5/13 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Setting up website help

My wife wants to set up a Website for her business (which means she wants me to).so we have a name we want to register so advice please on
1. Who to use to register name
2. Where to get it hosted
3. Whats a good wysiwyg tool to use

Cheers pete

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 28/5/13 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
sent u2u
Pete - Kit Car Zone

posted on 28/5/13 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pete

Hope this helps:

1. Who to use to register name - Lots of hosting companies will give you a free domain registration when you sign up for hosting with them. Perhaps give that a go first, could save you some money vs doing through two separate companies

2. Where to get it hosted - I've used UK2 and webhostinguk.net before and both were OK. Web Hosting UK were really good with their customer support when I needed some help

3. Whats a good wysiwyg tool to use - Wordpress is a good starter for 10 to look at. If you go for a host that supports cPannel then it'll have things like Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla available as a one click install, which saves loads of time when setting them up. If you're looking for something that's more drag and drop then have a look at Moonfruit

Hope that helps

Pete

Kit Car Zone

tegwin

posted on 28/5/13 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I build websites for pocket money and my top tips are...

Find a decent host that gives you a virtual server with full C-panel (ideally with something like softalicious to enable quick installation of applications)

(I use Vidahost for all my websites...knocking on 15 so far and their up time and customer service is pretty damn good)

Install Joomla 2.5 or 3.0 using softalicious

If you search about there are plenty of templates you can use to customise the look of it (you can of course build your own template but it is much more involved) I use the ones here quite a bit...the prices are reasonable... http://www.joomspirit.com/ They can be customised.... This is one of his templates that I used.. www.meganhine.com

Once the template is up and running simply build your content/menus.... There are literally thousands of plugins you can get for joomla including shopping cards, image galleries etc.. There is nothing you can't do... OK so joomla CMS takes a bit of getting used to in the back end...it is not imediately obvious where things are but once you get your head around it, its a damn good bit of software!

I personally would avoid the generic "build a website" type service where you pay them to host and use their editor...

If it is on your own "personal" server the data is yours, all you pay for is the hosting... you have full control....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

johnemms

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.serversfree.com/ any good to you?

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

britishtrident

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
LCN are pretty good for registering and hosting. http://www.lcn.com/

A lot the better ISPs such as Plusnet do hosting and are pretty good.

Tip if you can't get the exact domain name you want try using a hyphen in the name for example washer-store.co.uk

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

tegwin

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnemms
http://www.serversfree.com/ any good to you?

Nothing is free..what's the catch?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Slimy38

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pete - Kit Car Zone

1. Who to use to register name - Lots of hosting companies will give you a free domain registration when you sign up for hosting with them. Perhaps give that a go first, could save you some money vs doing through two separate companies

I would sort of disagree with that one? Yes it is cheaper, and it is very convenient, but I have found that trying to transfer the domain away from the hosting company is such a ballache that it's often not worth the effort. I'd much rather keep the domain registration and hosting as two separate tasks.

watsonpj

posted on 29/5/13 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys some stuff to look at there, Ive now got the slightly harder job of getting the wife to say what she actually wants

cheers Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.