Morrisons suspends worker over Help for Heroes wristband

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-22689008

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Just read that half hour ago.
Seems both sides acted foolishly, wearing the charity 2pin" initially should have had a quiet word and need not have been escalated any further. Maybe the "its OK to wear hear, but must be removed when handling fresh food" or whatever.

Involving the second manager was heavy handed, but putting on the wristband at that point was obviously a rather daft idea.

Typically a small thing got escalated. They need to employ people who can actually think................

r1_pete

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Again we only see the press sensationalisation.

I can understand the restriction of wearing such badges in a food prep area, and wouldn't want to find such an item in food I had bought.

Wristbands, they have stated to have reviewed, and are now allowed in non food prep areas, so clearly an attempt by Morrisons to find some middle ground.

[Edited on 29/5/13 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
I don't get this.... the company policy is that staff do not wear such items... he broke the rules.... he was reprimanded...how is this national news?!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Ninehigh

posted on 29/5/13 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Who typed up that letter on a bank holiday? Also what company drags you in for a disciplinary and sends you a letter allowing yourself to prepare a defence?

tegwin

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Also what company drags you in for a disciplinary and sends you a letter allowing yourself to prepare a defence?

Urm... its standard company policy for most companies to be given verbal warnings and then given written notification of disciplinary proceedings...gives you time to get some legal representation (or the boys from the unions in)..

I imagine if you read the grievances policy at your place of work you have something similar

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

T66

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Dont believe what you read in the papers, they are written by journalists.

Watching anything the press have put together only adds to the frustration of life, broken Britain, immigration, heavy handed police/nurse/doctor/MP/Leveson bla bla bla....elvis on the moon.

"Another survey has revealed" - eating makes you fat, sex makes you die young, rearing fish makes you live longer, breathing air extends life.

Honestly guys its all crap, and part of a massive Government conspiracy to maintain the country in a state of depression.

twybrow

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I don't get this.... the company policy is that staff do not wear such items... he broke the rules.... he was reprimanded...how is this national news?!

+1

He also seems to have been deliberately provocative by adding the wrist band. I also agree it is not national news - the press are trying to make out that Morrisons are evil for doing this - I back Morissons, not the plonker who can't follow rules.

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Expect the counter stories

"help for heroes wrist band found in pie"

No need to worry about evidence

Ninehigh

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Also what company drags you in for a disciplinary and sends you a letter allowing yourself to prepare a defence?

Urm... its standard company policy for most companies to be given verbal warnings and then given written notification of disciplinary proceedings...gives you time to get some legal representation (or the boys from the unions in)..

I imagine if you read the grievances policy at your place of work you have something similar

Having been in a similar situation several times with various companies I can tell you THAT is a new one on me. Last time it was just a letter "you did this, this is your written warning"

Peteff

posted on 29/5/13 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It was a "Help for Heroes" badge, any customer should be proud to choke on it in a burger Last factory I worked at you weren't allowed any personal "jewellery" even a watch on the shop floor. Where would we be without rules ? ( The answer is France for non Al Murray fans ) If the headline had been "suspended for wearing wristband" it would not even have been considered newsworthy.

[Edited on 29/5/13 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

steve m

posted on 29/5/13 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
"quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+1

He also seems to have been deliberately provocative by adding the wrist band. I also agree it is not national news - the press are trying to make out that Morrisons are evil for doing this - I back Morissons, not the plonker who can't follow rules."

My Wife is a front end Supervisor with the local Morrisons, and i can assure you, there rules on what you can and cannot wear, are very strict, Wife, has the power to refuse any one who turns up for work, wearing non company uniform. or missing items, also any one with facial piecings 2 per ear are ok, but lips, eybrows etc are not, excessive makeup etc, the individual, will firstly be allowed to remove or repair the problem, and if they refuse, will be asked(told) to leave the store, and will be unpaid, untill they return to work, with the satisfactory apparel

I know for a fact, that all staff are reviewed perodicly, and this is part of the review,

I work for Virgin Atlantic, and any front line staff who are in contact with the public/customers, in uniform or not, still have to sign a declaration, they will keep to the rules of attire/dress code at all times

The rules are rules, and this plonker, obviosley wanted this week off!!

Steve

scootz

posted on 29/5/13 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Agreed...

It's Evolution Baby!

MakeEverything

posted on 29/5/13 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Agreed...

+1.

Regarding the disciplinary, there is a recognised process for disciplinary and grievance within HR Law and legislation. They followed it as far as i can see.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

UncleFista

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
If Morrisons staff were sacked for wearing a poppy, there'd be no staff left. At and around remembrance day, the majority of staff wear a poppy.

I'd sack him for releasing a copy of the private and confidential letter with names of staff not redacted.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

scimjim

posted on 29/5/13 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Agreed...

+1.

Regarding the disciplinary, there is a recognised process for disciplinary and grievance within HR Law and legislation. They followed it as far as i can see.

Those managers also apparently have the authority to relax those regulations for non food prep staff? (as Morrison HQ have since done nationally)
Yes, the scrote was being provocative but they marched straight into a publicity trap at a time of heightened tension IMHO.
Commonly known as "The Sun test" - stop and think about how a tabloid newspaper may portray any management decision you're about to make, particularly if it's topical?

FazerBob

posted on 29/5/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
"quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+1

He also seems to have been deliberately provocative by adding the wrist band. I also agree it is not national news - the press are trying to make out that Morrisons are evil for doing this - I back Morissons, not the plonker who can't follow rules."

My Wife is a front end Supervisor with the local Morrisons, and i can assure you, there rules on what you can and cannot wear, are very strict, Wife, has the power to refuse any one who turns up for work, wearing non company uniform. or missing items, also any one with facial piecings 2 per ear are ok, but lips, eybrows etc are not, excessive makeup etc, the individual, will firstly be allowed to remove or repair the problem, and if they refuse, will be asked(told) to leave the store, and will be unpaid, untill they return to work, with the satisfactory apparel

I know for a fact, that all staff are reviewed perodicly, and this is part of the review,

I work for Virgin Atlantic, and any front line staff who are in contact with the public/customers, in uniform or not, still have to sign a declaration, they will keep to the rules of attire/dress code at all times

The rules are rules, and this plonker, obviosley wanted this week off!!

Steve

agreed. It's a common sense policy, what't the problem.

Bob

perksy

posted on 29/5/13 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair I think this has just made the news partly due to the sad incident in woolwich recently and the susequent overwhelming support shown by the british public and their support for 'help for heroes'.

As for the disciplinary , that would depend on the companies policy and how it had been used in this instance.
Some companies start with an informal chat which could then lead to a formal investigation and possible further action depending on the case.
I believe this incident needed some common sense on all sides, Although it does sound as if the employee pushed the limits on this one.
We only really know what we've read in the press and without knowing the full facts its difficult to comment with certainty.

Just my 2p
Perksy
Union boy

[Edited on 29/5/13 by perksy]

Furyous

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Because Morrisons are suppressing a noble cause.

Just imagine the outrage if they banned someone from wearing the logo of another "noble" cause, like a Nazi swastika. Except the majority of people can't get behind the Nazi movement so it wouldn't be news. It comes down to perspective, and who are Morrisons to say what cause is good to display and what isn't? We all know Help for Heroes is worthy, but what if Morrisons support another "good" cause which turns out to support child labour and other nefarious practices?

The best practice is for Morrisons to show no alignment with any group but themselves, even if it means banning symbols of popular charities.

perksy

posted on 29/5/13 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well it seems the lad has had his suspension lifted and can return to work.
Morrisons boss Dalton Phillips has advised they have changed their policy on who can and who can't wear charity merchandise and that the company "had got the balance wrong". (ref The Mirror)

Victory for people power and the power of the press or just common sense ?

[Edited on 29/5/13 by perksy]

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/5/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
All it needs now for the Daily Mail to say the managers involved were Muslims to make the story complete

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

britishtrident

posted on 29/5/13 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
The more general background is in the last year or so Morrisons management seem to have adopted a more macho attitude to personnel management, they are cutting on staff (they have just made most of their cash room staff redundant with little warning ) and putting extra pressure on the remaining staff.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

steve m

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
"The more general background is in the last year or so Morrisons management seem to have adopted a more macho attitude to personnel management, they are cutting on staff (they have just made most of their cash room staff redundant with little warning ) and putting extra pressure on the remaining staff. "

ALL companys are doing the same, just so the top manegment can get good bonus's

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.