Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: flat shifter
dave107

posted on 7/6/13 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
flat shifter

Can someone explain to me how a flat shifter work please.

Am I correct in thinking it allows you to shift up and down depending on which type you have without using a clutch, if this is correct do you only use the clutch to engage your gear at stand still then lift of and then pull away, or does it operate like my wife's Citroen VTR were you don't use a clutch at all you select 1st gear and the car only starts to move once you press the accelerator.

Dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
minitici

posted on 7/6/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
A basic flatshifter/quickshifter allows clutchless up-shifts using an ignition or fuel cut.
You have to use the clutch at standstill.

More sophisticated flatshifters also allow clutchless downshifts using a throttle blip.
The blip is usually controlled via a solenoid or vaccum blipper attached to the throttle on the carbs or TBs.
Again the clutch is required at standstill.

The gears are shifted manually (cable or rods) or using solenoids or air-shifters.

Flatshifter have now developed a system which allows the car to be driven without using the clutch at all.
http://flatshifter.com/auto-clutch/

[Edited on 7/6/13 by minitici]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.