Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: jag 4.2 in a locost frame (crazy) ?
riggs1

posted on 8/6/13 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
jag 4.2 in a locost frame (crazy) ?

spiderman

posted on 8/6/13 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
? straight six, v8? do you think it is crazy or are you asking if anyone else thinks it is?
Plenty of big V8's in Locosts and other specials/kits. Done properly It isn't crazy, would not be my choice as I think the Locost is more about lightness and handling rather than sheer power, you can of course have both but probably not with a Jag engine.

Spider

riggs1

posted on 8/6/13 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
hi spiderman thanks for your input I agree not ideal choice however I have a free donor vehicle and are a jag lover my concern after building some 20 odd standard sevens is the height not too c of g correct, plus vision from the cockpit have already built the bottom frame so want to mount the motor in the frame and build the rest of the frame to suit the motor keeping the auto box and will use the jag suspension minus the cross members and frames still in the creative stage will post a pic of the motor in the frame cheers
metro6r4

posted on 8/6/13 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
going to be rather nose heavy id of thought it would be rather comprimised but it'd probally make one hell of a tourer
MsD

posted on 8/6/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Just seen this on PH.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=30&t=1293663&mid=378666&nmt=JAG+STRAIGHT+6+in+a+kit+car%3F

Not a locost but still a very small car!

Mark.

britishtrident

posted on 8/6/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Supporting weight will be the major problem, nothing about jags of this era is light, so are going to up increaseing section sizes and going up to 2mm thickness in a lot of places, a Jag E type style spaceframe front end might be a useful refrence point.

http://www.rustyheaps.com/category/current-liabilities/1961-jaguar-xke/page/2/

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Theshed

posted on 8/6/13 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have repaired a few of those e-type frames. They rot at high speed. The tube is remarkably thin. That said they are an elegant well thought out design.
britishtrident

posted on 8/6/13 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
ISTR Jaguar used Reynolds 531 tubing which is why they could get away with a thinner gauge.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Not Anumber

posted on 8/6/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Its an interesting one and i'd like to see pictures when you get going.

what about height. Would you cut down the sump to try and keep the engine low or would you raise the scuttle and bonnet ?

riggs1

posted on 15/6/13 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
this is what I have so far
Enoch

posted on 16/6/13 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I am building a version with a Jag 5.3 V12 in so anything is possible. I have redesigned the rear end to take the Jag IRS. The frame has been redimensioned to allow me to use the original prop, it is also wider and longer overall to allow the engine to fit. I still have the front end to work out - the easy way is to use the Jag front suspension assembly so I will probably scrap that and build simple wishbone suspension using the original geometry and front hubs. It would be much easier to build with a straight 6 but as others have pointed out the Jag components are extremely heavy. My engine weighs in at about 350KG, the box must be another 150KG, everything is built so it doesn't break. I have used 50mm square 3mm tubes for the bottom frame to add strength. It adds a lot of weight as well but makes sure that the weight of the Jag components won't cause flexing. My engine puts out just under 300BHP, which is a bit woosy for a car that heavy so twin light pressure turbo chargers will eventually be deployed to liven things back up a bit.
So far I have built the rear end, the sides of the passenger compartment are on the build jig. I am now waiting for some more steel so I cab build the two sides up and weld them to the structure.
When I have figured out how to put photos on here I will post some piccies to show progress so far.
PS some people will obviously think that what I am creating is so far from the original concept as to not be a 7 at all. You are probably right javascript:icon(''

scudderfish

posted on 16/6/13 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Twin turbo V12? I admire your insanity
big_wasa

posted on 16/6/13 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
yeh get it running, can I come and have a look ?
Enoch

posted on 16/6/13 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
You are welcome at any time, I don't expect to have it running for at least a year. I am in fishtoft - if you want to come and see progress so far drop me a PM.
big_wasa

posted on 19/6/13 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
May well do.

I am looking to wind a few projects up so I can move house but I will start something elts and was thinking the jag 3.0 s type lump would be a cheap donor for a Haynes.

Valtra

posted on 19/6/13 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
May well do.

I am looking to wind a few projects up so I can move house but I will start something elts and was thinking the jag 3.0 s type lump would be a cheap donor for a Haynes.

Yes not too different to the Mazda units that " claire" likes to stick in all sorts of car to good effect . Checked out his MX5 at Ashby Folville last week , very neat .

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

Gadgetman

posted on 20/6/13 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
May well do.

If only you could still get the AJ30 to Ford bell housing from Morgan's suppliers.

I guess an adaptor plate is the only way now.

big_wasa

posted on 20/6/13 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
S type already has a rwd manual option.
Gadgetman

posted on 20/6/13 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
The Getrag box isn't a particularly desirable one though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.