Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie basic brake question ((MK indy) Sierra rear calipers)
Poorscousertommy

posted on 8/6/13 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie basic brake question ((MK indy) Sierra rear calipers)

So back to the car after finishing studying - and I'm frustrated!

So got into the garage with the intention of fitting rear brakes and having never worked on them before was trying to figure it out.. Help now needed!

1. I've attached the support bracket as a trial fit - now I recognise my bolts are too long (M10 x 40). Do I therefore need to buy shorter bolts, or do I pack the rear of the support bracket with a spacer / washers?

2. Is the main caliper only then held by the slider pins? (Is this so that the calipers can self adjust?

3. Are the slider pins interference fit? I measure the holes in the caliper at 8.00mm, the diameter of the slider pins at 8.4 isg (8.25 across flats). Do they need to be knocked in with a hammer, or do I have the wrong parts?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Poorscousertommy

posted on 8/6/13 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Pics not showing on my computer - they're the last 2 in my archive if you need to see them!

Ta

mark chandler

posted on 8/6/13 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
1 - you should not need to pack out the calliper, correct size bolts required.

2 - the pins should slide smoothly

Regards Mark

Sloan85

posted on 9/6/13 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Which bolts do you think are too long? What do you mean by support bracket?

The carrier is bolted directly to the MK bracket which is bolted on the outside of the driveshaft. The caliper then bolts into the slider bolts on the carrier.

I just installed pads and hoses yesterday and couldn't see how the slider bolts are fixed - they seemed to rotate but didnt come out.

The photo below shows my caliper in position - you can see the bolt that fixes the caliper into the slider bolt - the rubber gaiter covers the slider bolt.

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

Sloan85

posted on 9/6/13 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Double post!!

[Edited on 9/6/13 by Sloan85]

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

Poorscousertommy

posted on 10/6/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses folks.

The bolts that are 'too long' are simply my trial fit bolts (as they are what i had to hand in the workshop). They encroach on the brake disk before fully locating in the mounting bracket.

Sloan, is there any reason you went for caphead rather than standard hex bolts?

Also, am I right in thinking that these bolts do not secure in any way other than by thread (as you would struggle to get a nut between the mounting bracket and disk, but it just doesnt seem right to me - especially for brakes)?

Finally, I'm still not over my slider pin conundrum - should this be an interference fit to the caliper (but relatively snug fit - i.e. able to slide into the mounting bracket). The just dont seem like they want to go together! They were supplied by MK so I'd assume they are right but you never know!

Again, sorry for the basic questions

mcerd1

posted on 10/6/13 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Poorscousertommy
Also, am I right in thinking that these bolts do not secure in any way other than by thread (as you would struggle to get a nut between the mounting bracket and disk, but it just doesnt seem right to me - especially for brakes)?

they should have some threadlock on them

all just about these bits on the sierra's granada's are held on 10.9 grade bolts into tapped holes and some threadlock for the right grade

quote:
Finally, I'm still not over my slider pin conundrum - should this be an interference fit to the caliper (but relatively snug fit - i.e. able to slide into the mounting bracket). The just dont seem like they want to go together! They were supplied by MK so I'd assume they are right but you never know!

the slide pins should just push into the caliper carrier with a bit of the right grease

they should give a nice smooth slide to allow the caliper move freely
(the caliper has to slide freely or the outer pad would never do anything and the inner pad would only push the disc away )
once its assembled the caliper can't move enough for the slide pins to fall out of the carrier

[edit] just seen out pic's:
the sliding part of the pin is pushed into the caliper carrier
(don't forget the grease and rubbers)

the caliper is then bolted onto the end of the pins with the tiny wee bolts

like so:

[Edited on 10/6/2013 by mcerd1]

-

mcerd1

posted on 10/6/13 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
ps - in your pic...
Rear brake mock 1
Rear brake mock 1

whats the bit of thread sticking out of the carrier where the pin should be ??

-

Poorscousertommy

posted on 10/6/13 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've just had an 'aha' moment when i saw mcerds pics. And thats why I love this forum. the missing bit of the jigsaw was the wee bolts -

The thread you can see was me just trying to mock fit (only finger tight).

Thanks everyone! I'll be back to ask more stupid questions real soon!

mcerd1

posted on 10/6/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
glad to help, I've got better pics somewhere (just can't find them right now...)

quote:
The thread you can see was me just trying to mock fit (only finger tight).
well there shouldn't be any thread in those holes at all - it should be nice and smooth so you get a nice free slide...

-

Poorscousertommy

posted on 10/6/13 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Well I was panicked - but I've just got home and checked - the bolt wasn't in the slider (crapped meself an thought I'd cut a thread), it's an optical illusion as the bolt is in the mounting hole..

Thanks again, all done!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.