Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anybody built with a massive engine??
Enoch

posted on 8/6/13 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody built with a massive engine??

Wotcha folks, name is Enoch, some of you may have read my build diary - www.deepfolly.co.uk.
As that build was rather too simple (not really!!) I have embarked on a new build loosely based on the roadster concept. I have made it a bit larger though to fit the Jaguar V12 mechanicals that I have removed from my donor vehicle.
I am using the Jag rear end, I have constructed a mega strong superstructure, the spaceframe around it will add strength, rigidity, crash protection and form.
Just wondering if anybody else has been stupid / brave / idiotic enough to try something similar??
My intention is to run it standard to start with - it has Bosch D Jetronic FI - and then to later add twin turbos and go Megasquirt or similar.
I know some of you will think that my contraption is so far removed from the standard design to not be a roadster at all but hope you let me join in your forum anyways.
For those of you who did not frequent the old forum, my last build used the DOHC 2.0 litre Sierra engine mated to an MT75 box. It put out about 120BHP, my new project will be much heavier but will start with 300BHP and will probably end up at well over 400.
Enoch

owelly

posted on 8/6/13 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt there will be many Roasters about with similar engine to yours. Small nippy roadsters are unlikely to suit a big heavy engine and thee are certainly more suitable ways to find 300-400BHP.
The aforementioned shouldn't be a reason for you to not build such a car, just a suggestion why you won't be likely to park next to a similar one.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrism

posted on 8/6/13 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I think PPC mag did a feature a while ago about a seven with something like a 4litre V8, and Dax I think used to do a V8 based model aswell, but there mostly aluminium block/head so not too heavy, not sure about the jag v12 but Im guessing gonna be a lot heavier.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

TheGiantTribble

posted on 8/6/13 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of reasons not to.
Yes it will be heavy, yes 7's were designed to be light, after all they are Colin Chapman's babies.
But a V12 does sound so sweet...supercharger rather than Turbo for me just cause of the sound.
Enoch your type of lunacy I can admire.

Andy S

posted on 8/6/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
My foggy old leaky memory seems to recall that Robin Hood built a Jag V12 demonstrator long ago.
richardm6994

posted on 8/6/13 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy S
My foggy old leaky memory seems to recall that Robin Hood built a Jag V12 demonstrator long ago.

Not so leaky memory......

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=9482

I would love to know where it is now!!

[Edited on 8/6/13 by richardm6994]

v8kid

posted on 8/6/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I guess at the end of the day its all about the power to weight ratio. To be more specific its about maximising the torque to weight ratio at the driven wheels all the time.
Hang on a mo. To be more specific its all about maximising the usable torque to weight ratio for the maximum time.
No wait a minuite suppose you don't need it all the time - oh no my head hurts.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alfiebeard

posted on 8/6/13 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I built a Cobra Replica with a 4ltr Crossbolt V8 in it........I originally decided to go the V12 Jag route but the general concensus on the Cobra Forum was that the Jag versions were not very well liked mainly because of the weight of the V12 causing horrendous understeer.

My Viento has an E36 M3 lump in it de-catted and chipped it produces in excess of 320bhp I think this is about as much as my chassis can handle without it folding itself in half lol.

I love the Jag V12 lump its a stunning piece of kit but personally I dont think its suited to a light kit car.........just my opinion though which is worth sod all really.

Alfie

[Edited on 8/6/13 by alfiebeard]

Old bloke on a mission with 320BHP of help

Simon

posted on 8/6/13 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
There was a chap on here a few (bj28 iirc) built a Viper powered one, but don't know what became of it.

ATB

Simon

40inches

posted on 9/6/13 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
There was a chap on here a few (bj28 iirc) built a Viper powered one, but don't know what became of it.

ATB

Simon

He took it out and put it in a Sierra http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=166636

Rosco

posted on 9/6/13 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
That sounds like one crazy project. A bit bonkers but fantastic.

I don't imagine it will handle too well, but off the line you'll be untouchable.

Nigel from the Kit Car Mag built a 4ltr Dax Rush a couple of years ago which was a serious bit of machinery and probably similar power to you, but I think it was a Rover V8 derived engine so much less weight.

Please keep us all updated of progress - we're not on this forum becasue we like normal cars.

Enoch

posted on 9/6/13 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all for the numerous replies. I know it's going way "off concept" from the book roadster but as I have already built one of those I just find the appeal of building something totally ridiculous highly appealing. I have always loved Jags, I had a Paramount tuned XJR until last November. Never had a V12 until now though so thought this project would kind of kill 2 birds with one stone. Will bung some photos up on photobucket soon and link to them from here.
Enoch.

Peter Perfect

posted on 9/6/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Enoch and welcome to the forum.

I am sure you will be accepted. I have found it a very useful place to hang out, there are some very knowledgeable people here. As for myself I am building a Ronart W152 only a small version based upon the jaguar XJ6 4.2L straight 6, although some have built V12 varients and they are beasts.

Howard

Enoch

posted on 18/6/13 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Oh wow. I would love to build a Ronart but it's way over my available budget. It is one sexy piece of automotive art, I am seriously jealous. My car is going to be built very cheaply - the donor was 400 quid, I hope to get most of that back by selling left over parts. The steel has cost me about 100 quid so far - Forest metals do 3 metres of 25x25x2mm for just over a fiver!!
I am designing it to use as many donor parts as possible to keep the costs down. I would imagine the Ronart costs a fortune but should be worth every penny and then some. Best of luck with your build, let me know if you need someone to test drive it

hughpinder

posted on 18/6/13 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
In the past, I fancied one of these:

http://www.ronart.co.uk/Ronart/Range_V12.html

In the end I decided to go for something a bit smaller, but I still like the look and idea.

Regards
Hugh

Enoch

posted on 22/9/13 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thought it was time for a quick update. The donor car is now fully stripped, the IRS has been stripped, cleaned and painted. It was in incredibly good nick, I reckon it had been fully refurbed in the not too distant past. Even the shocks were fairly new, just a bit corroded on the outside where it has been sat for ages. The entire assembly is now mated to the chassis, only new parts were brake pads, discs and handbrake pads - the brake pipes will obviously be new as well.
The engine and gearbox are in, the engine mounts have been made, the gearbox mount needs something better as there is too much movement in it at the moment.
I am now working on the front suspension, the lower bones are nearly done, the rack is in place. Once the lower bones are installed I will make the top bones and then get some shocks to fit. I need to use about 600lb springs to get my rate where I need it to be. I don't want to use an anti roll bar so the springs need to be fairly hefty with lightish shocks. Totally the opposite of a 7 but then proper 7's don't have the sort of weight that comes with a v12. My car is more about fast cruising than throwing around corners.
That's about it for now, as soon as the bone mounts are tacked in place it's a matter of stripping it, turning on to each side and upside down so I can fully weld everything and put the floor in. Then it's right way up - plumb in the brakes, get a fuel tank, wire up the engine loom and round the farm we go :-)
More detail on my webby - www.deepfolly.co.uk

stevio73

posted on 19/10/13 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
With an anvil that size in the front and minimal weight on the back your gonna be sitting in one big cloud of tyre smoke at the lights.
Good look stopping and or cornering.
Honestly there are more powerful engines out there at a fraction of the weight, but I gotta agree they do sound awesome.
Just an idea but..... For weight distribution wouldn't mid engine be more suitable?

Quick as a flash...... Nothing happens!

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 19/10/13 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine has a 5.0 litre v8 tvr engine in a westfield around 340 bhp with bonkers amounts of torque its the fastest thing in a straight line i have ever been but any bendy bits total waste of time hes has to tippy toe around ,high reving small engines at you can get every ounce of power are much more fun ..
mark chandler

posted on 19/10/13 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I ran a couple of v12 jags over the years, they really are turbine smooth. Fantastic

v12 XJS, first tank of fuel, second drive went to pull out of the garage and ended up pointing where I came from, stabbed the loud pedal a little to hard

Enoch

posted on 19/10/13 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
This is all about buggeration factor - I know I can get mental power from a small turboed engine but loads of other people have done that already. I'm not building it for track days, it's going to end up as an advertising tool for my business - www.marshfarmmotors.com. It will be Orange and polished ally to match our logo and other "corporate stuff".
As far as weight distribution is concerned the engine and box are well back from the front hub centre line, which pushes a hell of a lot of the weight on to the rear wheels. In the Jag the engine weight was right over the front axle, had I have kept the same position there would have been massive traction - or lack thereof- issues. As it is I think it will be ok.
In my own peculiar reality it looks perfectly fine :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.