Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA.
Dave Bailey

posted on 14/6/13 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
IVA.

I have two jobs left to sort out to be ready for IVA..

1. Emissions
2. Balance bar locking...

So first of all item 1.. I was hoping to get to an MOT station to put the car on a gas analyser but I can't get insurance to drive it there before I book my IVA then I only have 14 days on a chassis number so been advised to put it on a trailer for IVA... At the moment I have closed loop enabled but was thinking of trying to turn this off and run it lean... I would like to run it with closed loop but it is just not stable enough.... But I can't check...

Secondly what is the minimum I can do to demonstrate the balance bar is locked?

Any advice greatly received?

Dave B

craig1410

posted on 14/6/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help you on the emissions question but regarding the balance bar, for my SVA test (and assuming IVA and SVA are the same in this regard) I drilled and fitted a roll pin for the test. I believe it either has to be welded or roll pinned. I don't think a split pin is allowed as this is easily removed without tools, for a small pin anyway. You definitely aren't allowed to just use a lock nut.

Good luck!

Craig.

Dave Bailey

posted on 14/6/13 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks.. I thought they had changed the requirement because there was an issue with a stress failure due to he welding or drilling...

Dave B

stevegough

posted on 15/6/13 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Don't weld the bias bar!

When the IVA test replaced the SVA a couple of years ago, the stupid powers that be had put in it that the bias bar had to be either drilled and lockwired or welded and then the threads had to be welded along the length of the bar. A couple of months in, after it had been pointed out to these brainless ones that welding a part of a safety system in this fashion could weaken it, they removed the requirement.

It is sufficient to drill and lockwire. I took the tools to do it on my test, as I had no idea how to set it up. The tester said that its setting isn't that crucial - as long as the front and rear MCs are activated reasonably evenly, it will be fine. In the event, when he went for a cuppa so I could lock it after setting, I promptly snapped the two drillbits I'd brought with me. As the car had failed on about 6 other minor points, it wasn't really an issue - I had to retest anyway.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck with the IVA.

Nice choice of engine, by the way!

[Edited on 15/6/13 by stevegough]

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Dave Bailey

posted on 15/6/13 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve...

Dave B

big_wasa

posted on 15/6/13 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Best to ask your local iva station as interpretation of the rules varies around the country. Nottingham told me a couple of years ago spacers and lock nylocs where fine as long as there was no adjustment available with out modifications.

For your emissions I think your going to be looking at a vvt delete so you can get a steady reliable map. I know your ecu "has" the vvt control but its just to variable and complex to fully map with one day on the rollers.

Dave Bailey

posted on 16/6/13 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice....

Dave B

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.