Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3" bore stainless exhaust silencer - recommendations please?
SausageArm

posted on 20/6/13 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
3" bore stainless exhaust silencer - recommendations please?

I'm looking for a large silencer to go on the side of my car, it must be 3" bore and get my turbo ZX10R exhaust noise down to a volume that will pass trackday noise limits.

Anybody have any suggestions or reccomendations?

DarrenW

posted on 20/6/13 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Probs best to talk to mark and Col as they have plenty of experience with ZX10's in Mac1's. Have you tried talking to BigRich? He had quite a novel way of exhausting the gasses on his car.

I guess your issue might be more induction related once you get the exhaust note under control. Should be a few on here who have had to quieten down there turbo induction noises. There was a guy in the Newcastle area, member of NE7ers, who fitted a turbo to his MK. Geoff???? Guinness will remember him.

SausageArm

posted on 20/6/13 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Probs best to talk to mark and Col as they have plenty of experience with ZX10's in Mac1's. Have you tried talking to BigRich? He had quite a novel way of exhausting the gasses on his car.

I guess your issue might be more induction related once you get the exhaust note under control. Should be a few on here who have had to quieten down there turbo induction noises. There was a guy in the Newcastle area, member of NE7ers, who fitted a turbo to his MK. Geoff???? Guinness will remember him.

I don't want to get the exhaust like BigRich's car, even if i did there's no chance of squeezing 3" pipework past the rear diff, plus a smaller petrol tank is the last thing I need.

At the moment it's definitely exhaust noise, i want to redo my exhaust but I'd rather use a well proven silencer than take a punt and have to do it again.

This is what I have at the moment

DarrenW

posted on 20/6/13 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
How noisy is the exhaust at the moment? What are you trying to get it down to?

looks nice and neat but i guess there is little space to fitter a larger / longer exhaust can if you are trying to contain it under the bonnet. or you pretty much fixed in terms of diameter and length? A pic under the bonnet might help others to suggest a solution.

What is your current can packed with? Obviously i dont know if its new, fairly new or well used etc but i have heard of people needing to repack exhausts after some use, or even repack them to get the noise down. might be worth seeing if there is a way to mod yours to make it repackable so you can play around with different pack densities.

there used to be a lad in Tynemouth that was good at welding stainless and alloys - Deano. Or failing that there must be a few tuning places that make exhausts and could perhaps mod yours to be repackable.

Duncan Grier

posted on 20/6/13 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Are the BEC running turbo's that noisy?

Running the sr20det setup with cone filter with short usual kit car style exhaust setup - 3" downpipe to old 2.5" backbox from the original zetec lump and its not loud at all

I am going to put a 3" backbox on over the winter but while its still running 220ish bhp there is no real restriction

A good friend Dave Hardwick is currently finishing a 3" exhaust for the VX220 turbo and also using the backbox for the audi tfsi (s3) conversion I am doing. Fantastic quality of material and workmanship

I plan to use the same setup box but obviously sized for the la gold pro comp

Sure he would make one for you if required, very reasonable for the quality of work but its not going to be free

Picturs of the VX220 turbo system in development - Packing is from Thermal Velocity.

http://www.davehardwick.co.uk/

DG

[Edited on 20/6/13 by Duncan Grier]

SausageArm

posted on 20/6/13 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
How noisy is the exhaust at the moment? What are you trying to get it down to?

looks nice and neat but i guess there is little space to fitter a larger / longer exhaust can if you are trying to contain it under the bonnet. or you pretty much fixed in terms of diameter and length? A pic under the bonnet might help others to suggest a solution.

What is your current can packed with? Obviously i dont know if its new, fairly new or well used etc but i have heard of people needing to repack exhausts after some use, or even repack them to get the noise down. might be worth seeing if there is a way to mod yours to make it repackable so you can play around with different pack densities.

there used to be a lad in Tynemouth that was good at welding stainless and alloys - Deano. Or failing that there must be a few tuning places that make exhausts and could perhaps mod yours to be repackable.

I don't know what volume it is now but it's very loud, ear plugs are a must.

I can weld myself, I made the current exhaust, it's only done a few hundred miles, so I just need to find a supplier of good quality silencers. I think I'll be doing away with the current exhaust and putting a single silencer on the passenger side of the car.

SausageArm

posted on 20/6/13 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Grier
Are the BEC running turbo's that noisy?

Sure he would make one for you if required, very reasonable for the quality of work but its not going to be free

http://www.davehardwick.co.uk/

I'm running 1 bar of boost and it's certainly noisier than I'd like it to be, I love the subtle look of it but it needs to be changed soon.

To get a silencer from Dave Hardwick it'd be as simple as a phone call and give him the dimensions I could get away with the silencer being?

[Edited on 20/6/13 by SausageArm]

Duncan Grier

posted on 20/6/13 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
The VX220 turbo backbox is 7inch x 28inch - the length is easy to change but the & inch change means making more tooling. Of course can be done but means more work

Spoke to Dave just and if it helps your more than welcome to pop in and fit a vx220 box on to check noise levels. Give him a call and mention me - Duncan and maybe he can help

All the best
DG

SausageArm

posted on 20/6/13 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the research and advice Duncan, unfortunately Dave is 180 miles away from me, a little to far to pop in.

The VX220 box sounds like a great size, that must have a good influence on noise levels.

Duncan Grier

posted on 20/6/13 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Understood its too far and just an offer really if you wanted a long day out

It has been built to really address the noise levels on the vx220 high powered turbo's on track now they are getting more and more....well its an issue

It could also be made longer if you have the space which would only further reduce the noise levels. Have some data on levels on his 400bhp garrett powered vxt with decat etc but of course different setup

A lot of research and development also in the packing material, especially on the high powered supercharged vx220 have an issue burning / eating it all and spitting it out. This stuff is not the cheapest but does what its supposed to

If you know the dimensions / mounting points etc, no reason Dave could not make and post. Prob even polish if thats your prefered

Glad I could help

DG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.