Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lots of Questions
ian.stewart

posted on 22/6/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of Questions

Hello Chaps,
newbie here, I am just starting to get the bits together to build a BEC,
Engine choice is probably somewhat unusual, being a Suzuki TL1000R, Im going to turn it sideways and drive off the output shaft, nothing unusual there, I have a |Translogic quickshifter for it,
I will need a drive flange, which I think is the same as a bussa, wheres the cheapest/best place to get one,
I am limited on rad size, with a max of 370mm wide and probably about the same height, suggestions? I may be able to lay the rad back at about 45 degs,
Reversers, what are my options?, mostly expensive from what I have seen.
Choice of vehicle is very different to the norm, and originally built in 1933, Weight wise I should be coming in around 680lbs without driver, Barn Door aerodynamics, so top end is very limited.
Ian.

ReMan

posted on 22/6/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Plain steel flanges are about £70 and AFAIK avaialble from most kit suppliers, MNR MK, MAC1.
If you want posh ones Nova racing do donut type.
Reverse is the expensive box £600 + split shafts £300
Else build one with a starter motor and ring gear for much less as used by the above
Will just need to fit into your project, which you need to share the dtails of, with pictures

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Valtra

posted on 22/6/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
So what is the choice of vehicle then ?

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

ian.stewart

posted on 22/6/13 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Well it started something like this when it was new,

Its going to end up something like this, but a little bit more refined, If I can get it to sit like this I will be happy,

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/ianianstewart/a7011-1.jpg

on wheels like this,

and the basis for my car, a lot of work, buts its by no means a basket case,

Powered by this, which fits under the bonnet nicely,

the car is a 1933 Austin 7 box saloon, they are TINY, 1m90 wheelbase front and rear track is about 1m20, and fully wet from the factory withcast iron engine and box, full interior etc its about 360kg, I think I can shed 50kg of that without trying,

[Edited on 22/6/13 by ian.stewart]

Valtra

posted on 23/6/13 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Sweet idea

I think you may need to add a little strength to cope with the power and heftier brakes so I'd doubt you'll end up lighter but even so it's not going to be porky.

Body looks to be in very good condition. It'd be a shame not to keep it looking as period as possible with just a hefty hint of Rod . good luck

check this beastie out for inspiration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFSGSL3Nrmc

Daddylonglegs

posted on 23/6/13 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
I look forward to seeing the progress on this one! Should look pretty sweet when it's finished

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

ian.stewart

posted on 23/6/13 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Dont worry about the safety side of things, Big discs are in order, the 6" front drums are going to be history, Big brakes are going to be looked at, but, at the end of the day, the tire is the limiting factor being the last point of retardation, I probably wont be using much more than 155s in the front, and at the moment my thoughts are running along the thoughts of big, 300mm+ bike discs with 6 pot calipers, not sure yet, back brakes will probably be 9" drums, Over the years I have built a lot of modified cars, and I tend to over engineer a lot of things, but at the same time keep things simple.

Edit,
whats the best way to sort the hydraulic clutch, my original master cylinder a 14mm cylinder, but, being a bikes, its a very short stroke, so I will need a 12mm or less longer stroke, do I have to sleeve a 9/16" cylinder and use bike seals etc,

[Edited on 23/6/13 by ian.stewart]

[Edited on 23/6/13 by ian.stewart]

Valtra

posted on 23/6/13 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
155 tyres will be plenty to keep you in the virtuous circle of speed through lightness my 500kg Fiat 500 has 125x12 , and while obviously NOT a performance car , still has lovely direct and "feelsome" steering and enough grip

ian.stewart

posted on 24/6/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Blagged this on sunday for a few bits swapped, slight overkill I know, but a Narrowed Atlas was just too much to turn down, especially as its within 10mm of what I would have had to build for the car.

[Edited on 24/6/13 by ian.stewart]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.