Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help! Is my 4XV a 98 or 99 engine? I need a clutch.
Big Hyndy

posted on 28/6/13 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Help! Is my 4XV a 98 or 99 engine? I need a clutch.

Changed the oil in my Mini the other day and ever since the clutch has been slipping between 9 and 10k but gradually getting worse. It has been confirmed the oil I used is bang on the money for the engine and I've been told the clutch is fooked! Now im not wanting to have to do the clutch again anytime soon so I want a kevlar race clutch. I went to order one today and EBC states 2 different kits one for the 98 model 4XV and another for the 99 4XV. Yamaha computer results comes back with the 98 and 99 having all the same plates with the parts numbers being exact on both but it wouldnt be the first time the computer has been wrong.

So can anyone tell me what the difference in clutch kits are in the 98 and 99 models and if there is anyway I can find out what year my engine is? The joys of having a BEC lol!

[Edited on 28/6/13 by Big Hyndy]

james h

posted on 28/6/13 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you can get to the clutch cover it's easy enough to pull the plates out and check their thickness and colour. Before you change to an uprated one, you can double up on your diaphragm spring. These are cheaper than getting a new clutch and very easy to fit. It certainly solved my clutch slip, and made the clutch pedal feel much better.

James

Big Hyndy

posted on 29/6/13 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers James, I will have to either drop the back of the subframe or it will be engine out to get the clutch plate off. And if thats the case its getting a race clutch. This still leaves me with the problem of finding out what year my engine is.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.