Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: union type questions
theconrodkid

posted on 29/6/13 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
union type questions

where i work,one of the guys is pushing to get us to join a union so my q,s are
the subs are £7-50 a month,is that a bit steep ?. (not connected to the labour party btw)
as we work within the M25,i am told we should get london weighting by law,we are contractors to our beloved NHS if that makes a difference.
he says we need 51% of the workforce to get representation,is that for the whole of the company or just our little outpost ?.
cheers peeps

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

britishtrident

posted on 29/6/13 at 05:25 AM Reply With Quote
The unions are coming back and that is a fact.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/6/13 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
My wife's just joined a union because her company is trying to force out all the higher paid staff in favour of lesser paid agency staff who have no idea how to care for a mentally disabled adult. But they don't care all their interested in is cutting all wages and sacking / rehiring on a different lesser paid contract, which is no right.

These people have been working 10+ years, so now they are fighting it.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Ninehigh

posted on 29/6/13 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
As a side point, my contract states that the company doesn't recognise unions. I'm under the impression that the whole point of a union is that the company can recognise them or not, but good luck sacking half the company when they walk out over an issue. Might be worth seeing what your contract says and what it means in real terms.

From what I've seen £7.50/month is about right

snapper

posted on 29/6/13 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
I pay twice that
It's the negotiation, legal cover and much better understanding of employment law I pay for.
You have no right to London waiting that is a negotiated benefit
You can join a union on an individual basis but some employers don't recognise or derecognise
GCHQ, Qinetiq etc.
You all must of notice the pressure on individual rights of employment and most of the time my union is dealing with managers and business units that ignore or interpret the regulations to their own benefit.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

britishtrident

posted on 29/6/13 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
As a side point, my contract states that the company doesn't recognise unions. I'm under the impression that the whole point of a union is that the company can recognise them or not, but good luck sacking half the company when they walk out over an issue. Might be worth seeing what your contract says and what it means in real terms.

From what I've seen £7.50/month is about right

A clause like that can't be enforced, they don't have recognise the union unless they have 51% membership but they can't stop anybody joining a union, and if they tried to discriminate against an employee who was in union they would be in trouble.
Equally a union can't enforce a closed shop.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

big-vee-twin

posted on 29/6/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I used to be in the NUM and later the MSF both were a pile of poo.

The only union I trust is me, myself and I.

If I couldn't get on with my employer for what ever reason, I let my boots do the talking.

Now I work for myself so it doesn't matter.

Oh and by the way I do vote Labour

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Slimy38

posted on 29/6/13 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin

The only union I trust is me, myself and I.

If I couldn't get on with my employer for what ever reason, I let my boots do the talking.

I have to admit, that is my view of unions as well. Unfortunately some of my friends and family work in such a closed arena it's difficult to move on, so I can see them needing a union just so they don't get screwed over.

theprisioner

posted on 29/6/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have sympathy with "If I couldn't get on with my employer for what ever reason, I let my boots do the talking." in fact I have employed that strategy all my working life. However my wife worked as a teacher and being in a union is essential to get legal representation should the worst happen. I think there is a strong case for unions in the public sector. And I don't vote labour.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

coozer

posted on 29/6/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
If the company regocnise the union all employees must be treated the same regardless whether they pay into the union or not..

Over the years I've been a shop steward, member of the labour party and on and on and on... these days they can all go to hell as they have done naff all since Maggy demolished the country...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Litemoth

posted on 29/6/13 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
You're a consumer buying a service effectively. Interview your rep to see what they offer you for that money - then ask yourself whether it's good value (come rain or shine).
theconrodkid

posted on 29/6/13 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies guys,ill have words next week.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

SteveWalker

posted on 29/6/13 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
... It's the negotiation, legal cover and much better understanding of employment law I pay for ...

My experience (or rather my wife's) is that when she had problems - wrong pay grade; part-time working on unequal pay; lost holidays while on maternity leave/off ill; redeployment to another team on current (incorrect) pay grade to do a job that the rest of the team was on the next grade for, etc., etc. - the union were useless. Totally unsupportive; uncontactable for weeks on end; siding with management to push for her to accept the lower grade. I advised her myself (I also advised the union on a number of points). We tried to change the union rep, but were told that to do so we had to approach the area secretary of the union - and he was her rep! In the end we met with management and HR, without the union rep (they would let me sit in, but not take part, as I was neither a union rep, nor one of their employees), using my advise and that of an employment solicitor (from a free 1/2 hour consultation). They finally backed down, put her on the correct grade and backdated it; and gave her all her lost holidays back.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.