Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch drag on R1 engined MK ?
DODGEY RODGERS

posted on 30/6/13 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch drag on R1 engined MK ?

Just came home from doing track day at Lydden Hill and last session the car was getting slower and slower so pulled in pits and found that out of gear and also in gear with clutch down the car would not roll.It took two of us to push it but once it cooled down was ok? Till I went for another blast and then felt a repetitive clicking from the clutch pedal whilst driving and then I could also hear it as well.After coming straight back in had lost all gears till yet again once cooled down would allow me to drive but not for long......
I had just replaced clutch for a barnet jobie and fitted all stiff springs about 100 miles before this and used semi- synthetic oil but it hadn't been driven hard until the track day? Does anyone have any info or herd about this before I drain it and strip it all down for inspection ? Oh its a 2002 carb R1 engine by the way ......

Measure twice, cut once ....

Rogthebandit

posted on 30/6/13 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate

Were the baskets ok when ya did the clutch? The clutch plates can wear into their relative position on the baskets. Once this happens the clutch tends to drag like mad and worse when hot due to expansion. Was it slipping at all on the trackday?

Cheers
Rog

DODGEY RODGERS

posted on 30/6/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yea they looked fine and the wire/shudder plate went in all good but I did notice that I had to adjust the cable a lot to get the car moving out the garage once it was all in ? I had no slipping at all just at the end when I ride the clutch pedal I could feel it clicking then heavy clicking once pressed ( didn't sound or feel good so just called it a day ).

Rogthebandit

posted on 30/6/13 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Strip it! Ive seen baskets break up before. And if its cluncking then i would be in there.
Rogthebandit

posted on 30/6/13 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
There's also a thrust bearing on the outer clutch plate if I can remember, I would be looking at that also is you say you can feel vibration through the pedal.
Rogthebandit

posted on 9/7/13 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate
Did ya sort your engine?

DODGEY RODGERS

posted on 9/7/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Due to nice weather was forced to do family duties!
So will be stripping it down this Sunday, as soon as I have I will post a reply to tell you of my findings, cheers Wayne.

Digimon

posted on 10/7/13 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
your car looked like it was going really well at lydden the other weekend, hope you get it sorted soon
Digimon

posted on 10/7/13 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Pic from Flickr

Lydden Hill Track Day, Green Group, June 2013 by phate13, on Flickr

DODGEY RODGERS

posted on 15/7/13 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for photo by the way ! ( if have any more i'm interested )
Finally got it striped down and what a mess inside..... The inner hub on the basket had cracked and one of the threaded stems that the clutch spring bolts tightens into had snapped off and made a right mess in the casing ( one spring in 10 bits , the bolt in about another 3 bits and the spring cup was squashed against the pressure plate) no wonder it was sounding like a bag of nails !
Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Digimon

posted on 16/7/13 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't been able to find anymore photos from that day, but if you click on the photo it takes you to the photographer's flickr account and he might have a few more that he hasn't put on the internet
DODGEY RODGERS

posted on 4/9/13 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Back on the road !

Hi,
A big thanks to everyone who helped with info and all ready for Lydden Hill on Saturday the 7th Sept if anyones about ?
New Basket,Clutch plates, Springs + Bolts and of cause fresh oil.......... ( semi only this time ) I decided to go with all stiff springs on the Barnett Clutch Plate this time lets see how she holds out ?

Digimon

posted on 4/9/13 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
glad you got it fixed mate, me and Hopsky will be at Lydden on Sat

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.