Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MIG welding on a modern car
02GF74

posted on 10/7/13 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
MIG welding on a modern car

intend to do some MIG welding on volvo 850 (door hinge) - lots of electronics e.g. ecu and abs .... so plan is to undo the battery earth lead and remove connectors to the ecu/abs + maybe remove the radio/cd player.

any other precautions to take?

(.... there appears to be an alternative repair using a bolt or 2 to hold a the door stay in place but seems fiddly to do)
ta.

[PS I have the radio code ]

[Edited on 10/7/13 by 02GF74]

AndyW

posted on 10/7/13 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
make sure you have the radio code if it has one!
MikeRJ

posted on 10/7/13 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Get the earth clamp as close as possible to the place you are welding and you shouldn't have any problems.
Litemoth

posted on 10/7/13 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
As has been said, so long as you disconnect the battery and place the earth clamp local to the job, I've always found that welding is well tolerated and does not blow electronics to smithereens.

Do put the clamp on the side of the hinge you're welding as drawing current across the hinge pin can cause you to have a permanently open door

02GF74

posted on 10/7/13 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
panic over - it was far easier to drill into the catch base place, tap and fit m5 bolt with penny washer then attempt to weld a thick piece of steel to thin body work. (saved me lugging the MIG out the garage and messing around trying to grind the paint off to bare metal ... )

you can see the 2 bolts, painted, below. .... exzcept you can't coz this section doesd not allow attachments ..... give me a minute .....

[Edited on 10/7/13 by 02GF74]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.