Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: interior panels
Fieldy

posted on 10/7/13 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
interior panels

Hi All

This is probably going to make me sound a little thick!

I’m looking to redo the interior of my Locost, it’s been stored outside for sometime and the interior has perished. I wanted to know where to get the materials from. The side panels and the back panel are what I can only describe as cardboard type stuff, the edges have got wet and have frayed. Does anyone know where I can get more of this type of stuff from? Or what other options do I have?

Equally does anyone know anyone in the Birmingham area that would be able to do the interior for me, potentially something smarter then the current cardboard solution!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

[Edited on 10/7/13 by Fieldy]

40inches

posted on 10/7/13 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like MDF, you can get 3mm thick at Wickes, B&Q etc. or use 1.2mm thick ally sheet instead.

deezee

posted on 10/7/13 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds a lot like hardboard. Wickes are as good as any where else on the high street.

Fieldy

posted on 10/7/13 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
Sounds a lot like hardboard. Wickes are as good as any where else on the high street.

Ah, Hardboard, thats probably what it is, its not MDF as its layered but thanks for the suggestion.

I would do the metal option but if im honest my skills just aren't up to that!

Actually hardboard isnt layered either is it, humm, ill take a picture at the weekend and post it up

Maybe its plywood?

Cheers

big-vee-twin

posted on 10/7/13 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Probably Mill Board see here linky

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Fieldy

posted on 10/7/13 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Probably Mill Board see here linky

I think we have a winner!! i cant remmeber what the finish is (not looked at the car for about 8 months) but i think that is the finish, ie not smooth.

Thanks very much, my question doesnt seem so stupid now ha!

Davg

posted on 10/7/13 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Matt u would be better off replacing with ally or plastic as alternative.. Local sign writers or plastic suppliers may help and you can cut from cardboard template. Cheers D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fieldy

posted on 10/7/13 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davg
Matt u would be better off replacing with ally or plastic as alternative.. Local sign writers or plastic suppliers may help and you can cut from cardboard template. Cheers D

Yeah i did think about using the ones that are on there currently as a template, will make life a whole lot easier.

Ok so if i use ally how do i secure it to the car? I presume i need to use rivits? How easy is that to do?

Davg

posted on 10/7/13 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
You can use pop rivets or stick it with pu adhesive. If you can drive an R1 bec surely you can work out how to work a pop riveter or mastic gun

Fieldy

posted on 10/7/13 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davg
You can use pop rivets or stick it with pu adhesive. If you can drive an R1 bec surely you can work out how to work a pop riveter or mastic gun

haha its not that i couldnt learn to do it, machanically im good, but more craft based things i think i may struggle. I dont have the best patience in the world and tend to rush things... im the kind of guy that can fix most problems with a good old bit of gaffa tape!

I think im just going to have to bit the bullet and do it, i suppose i dont need to do any bends or anything so shouldnt struggle to much.

Cheers

Davg

posted on 10/7/13 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
You betcha good luck and remember measure twice cut once
If you go ally use some pu adhesive as well, such as sikaflex or tigerseal etc.

If in doubt shout back up

Cheers D

iank

posted on 10/7/13 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Or use 3M VHB tape they use the stuff to hold panels on trains and coaches - sticky as hell and as easy to use as any double sided tape (though you MUST get it in the right place first time )

ETA: The lightest solution is to not use anything and just admire your chassis as you drive along.

[Edited on 10/7/13 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.