Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Design Concept
Carbonman

posted on 22/7/13 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I have tweaked the design here and there. The client seems to like the way it is going and hopefully I should be able to get some pics posted tomorrow.
That's the hard part of design, trying to give the client what they want, which is not always your own personal taste.

The enclosed front wings are to address the "radius" issues around the suspension areas for IVA apparently.

Carbon Copies Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mistron

posted on 22/7/13 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, the real trick is getting the client to think what you've designed was actually his idea........

Al

Carbonman

posted on 22/7/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed but this one is pretty much set on what he does and doesn't want. Cycle wings being the main one unfortunately.

Carbon Copies Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ettore bugatti

posted on 22/7/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not a huge fan of the look of most Dutton cars.

But this one, I find it rather tasty:

loggyboy

posted on 23/7/13 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
I'm not a huge fan of the look of most Dutton cars.

But this one, I find it rather tasty:

Go and stand in the corner and hang your head in shame....!

Mistral Motorsport

cjwood23

posted on 23/7/13 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
How about something a bit more off the wall?

How about the Caparo T1:

Or the Panoz Eperante:

[Edited on 23/7/13 by cjwood23]

Chris

b14wrc

posted on 23/7/13 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Carbonman,

Just my take on it - i like the classic looks of a traditional 7, but generally feel the classic components and materials let it down. So my take on it is to keep the car looking very similar to a traditional car but enhance it using modern materials, i plan to have a full carbon body and modern wheels.

Kind of keeping it similar, but updating it to the 2010's...... some may disagree, but i think subtle changes are the best.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

Carbonman

posted on 23/7/13 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc
Carbonman,

Just my take on it - i like the classic looks of a traditional 7, but generally feel the classic components and materials let it down. So my take on it is to keep the car looking very similar to a traditional car but enhance it using modern materials, i plan to have a full carbon body and modern wheels.

Kind of keeping it similar, but updating it to the 2010's...... some may disagree, but i think subtle changes are the best.

Rob

Totally agree. I knew this wasn't going to be easy because as I said in an earlier post for me the seven looks just right as it is.
Trying to change something that doesn't really need it is always going to be a problem.

The full size panels will be in Carbon also as you are planning. So even with more bodywork than standard there should still be a weight saving.

Carbon Copies Ltd

Carbonman

posted on 23/7/13 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cjwood23
How about something a bit more off the wall?

How about the Caparo T1:

Or the Panoz Eperante:

[Edited on 23/7/13 by cjwood23]

Both great pieces of design, unfortunately they don't really fit the brief of "keeping the seven look"
I would have loved to have been given the freedom to go bonkers.

Carbon Copies Ltd

cjwood23

posted on 23/7/13 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carbonman

Both great pieces of design, unfortunately they don't really fit the brief of "keeping the seven look"
I would have loved to have been given the freedom to go bonkers.

I wasn't thinking of the overall design - just looking at the front wing/adjoining bodywork treatment on them - could provide an interesting front end for a '7.

Chris

Carbonman

posted on 23/7/13 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of an update. Some may like it and some may hate it, but this is where we are at so far. Acted on some of the feedback on here and extended the front arches and altered the cut off angle. Extended the rear arches to meet the rear panel and added a curved Westy esque boot spoiler.
Added some paint to get a better idea of the overall look.
The plan is to extend the undertray to act as a sort of running board between the arches to better link the two.

Description
Description
Description
Description

Carbon Copies Ltd

Mistron

posted on 23/7/13 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
lengthening the wing helps a lot in terms of balance, but I'd look to take a lot of the rear facing flat area out by tapering the wing behind the wheel.

There are 2 reasons I say that:

1. it'll lighten it up visually - it looks too 'clumpy', and a taper would also echo current LeMans car detailing (shame putting headlamps in the leading edge of the wing would be too low), and
2. Whilst I'm no aerodynamicist, I think the current shape will create a huge amount of turbulance behind the wheels which the occupants will head into at speed!

Of course, the client might love it!

Al

Carbonman

posted on 23/7/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mistron
lengthening the wing helps a lot in terms of balance, but I'd look to take a lot of the rear facing flat area out by tapering the wing behind the wheel.

There are 2 reasons I say that:

1. it'll lighten it up visually - it looks too 'clumpy', and a taper would also echo current LeMans car detailing (shame putting headlamps in the leading edge of the wing would be too low), and
2. Whilst I'm no aerodynamicist, I think the current shape will create a huge amount of turbulance behind the wheels which the occupants will head into at speed!

Of course, the client might love it!

Al

Hi Al, I hear what your saying but CFD software says different.

On the full scale car the flat area at the back of the front wing will be be a louvered outlet.

Carbon Copies Ltd

Mistron

posted on 23/7/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cool. that'll take some of the bulk out of it too.

CFD?????? (Computers the F***ing Designer?)

Al

Carbonman

posted on 23/7/13 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote

Carbon Copies Ltd

iank

posted on 23/7/13 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Joining up the wings with a "running board" might allow better airflow for a proper diffuser. CFD would tell for sure I guess.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

eddie99

posted on 23/7/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mistron
Cool. that'll take some of the bulk out of it too.

CFD?????? (Computers the F***ing Designer?)

Al

Or Complete F***ing Disaster

Or Colours for Directors

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

JC

posted on 23/7/13 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, have a look at how the BAC Mono does its front arches and blends them, both with different colours and by blending to the body. I think that could look great here!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mds167

posted on 24/7/13 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Looking forward to seeing the nose treatment - something that goes low and mean like the MNR?
Or a striking opening like a Sylva Star/Leader?

"No, you can't lick the system; but you can give it a damn good fondling."

Carbonman

posted on 24/7/13 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to get a bit of detailing done on the model in between jobs.
Used some carbon sheet offcuts to make a Front Splitter, Rear Diffuser, etc. I have tried to represent ( not very well) the louvered outlet behind the Front Wings. The idea being that these should reduce pressure build-up in the wheel wells as well as directing air along the "side pods" which curve inwards to assist getting in and out, which in turn are ducted into the Rear Diffuser.
Client is due tomorrow, so will have to see what he thinks?
The deal is that I retain the design and manufacturing rights so if you fancy something a bit different or just a model making of your car to put on the mantle piece then please get in touch.
Description
Description

Description
Description
Description
Description

Carbon Copies Ltd

rdodger

posted on 24/7/13 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Re the side pods

Will you be able to stand on them?

Will the exhaust run on top of the side pod?

Carbonman

posted on 24/7/13 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
As it stands at the moment the plan is to have the exhaust mounted in the traditional place but maybe a tad higher up than normal. The side pods are really just an extension of the flat floor so will not be strong enough to be stood on, hence why they curve in where you would get in and out of the car.

Carbon Copies Ltd

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/7/13 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Is it not missing a hole in the front to let the air in or is it going to be electric?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Carbonman

posted on 24/7/13 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
It is still a work in progress and simply a representative 1-10th model. The opening can be basically the whole of the flat area of the nosecone, so almost double the size of the average seven if needed depending upon Rad/Engine size.

Carbon Copies Ltd

MikeR

posted on 24/7/13 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
as an alternative front wing - what about a variation of the original cycle wing - ie as per your current front but taper the rear.
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.