Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Alloy brackets for suspension joints
Terrapin_racing

posted on 15/10/04 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Alloy brackets for suspension joints

Posted at request.
Picture shows alloy billet brakets on front suspension utilising rod end bearings on wishbones - jcduroc - hope this is clear Rescued attachment maren1pe.jpg
Rescued attachment maren1pe.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Terrapin_racing

posted on 15/10/04 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Another photo Rescued attachment maren1pg.jpg
Rescued attachment maren1pg.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 15/10/04 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
don't know the original question, but an alternative..

beware, I've got yellow skin

Terrapin_racing

posted on 15/10/04 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
jcduroc has asked how the alloy brakets work:

" But can you describe (draft) the way it works? How does it accounts for fore and after and torsional loads? How are the bushes mounted?
Certainly the steel wishbones are not rotating "against" the alu blocks?
Can you catch my doubts? "

.........feel free to contribute guys's

SteveF

posted on 15/10/04 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Not quite sure what the question is - but the way things appear to be in the photos is that the suspension wishbones are rose jointed - not bushed - hence the way the bolts go through the chassis joint makes them look like they're designed to move forward-reverse, rather than up-down. The other point is that the ali triangles are just bellcranks - which transfer the in-out movement of the struts to forward reverse (or up-down) on the dampers

HTH Steve

ned

posted on 15/10/04 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
in race cars the stresses on the joints are under acceleration and braking, hence the rose joints are orientated the way they are so the bearings can't 'pop out' under huge braking loads for example. suspension is normally stiff and with little movement so the bearing can easily deal with it in this orientation.

ned.

ps probably completely irrelevant!

beware, I've got yellow skin

Terrapin_racing

posted on 15/10/04 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Very concise Ned. Not sure if I'm missing something in the question?
jcduroc

posted on 15/10/04 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Wishbone alu inner mountings

Hi Rob at al

The original question was:

In "Competition Car Suspension", pages 214-215 (Cover pages of Chap.9) the photo shows a real triangle upper wishbone supported by which I imagine are alu blocks. In "Race and Rally Car Source Book" you can see (page 220) the same thing (same car, I guess) in Ian Scott's car.

As Ned (correctly) states "in race cars the stresses on the joints are under acceleration and braking, hence the rose joints are orientated the way they are so the bearings can't 'pop out' under huge braking loads". But here we are not talking about rose joints but "bolt-ended" wishbone traingles.

So, in the case pictured in the attachement, considering that you should not have rotating, moment or fore and after loads against the alu blocks, how should the bushes (which? mounted how?) deal with the extremities of the wishbone triangles?

Joćo

D... pic, next msg.

[Edited on 15/10/04 by jcduroc]
P.S.: Config also used in F1, pe, Brabham BT49D.

[Edited on 15/10/04 by jcduroc]

JCM

jcduroc

posted on 15/10/04 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rob at al

The original question was:

In "Competition Car Suspension", pages 214-215 (Cover pages of Chap.9) the photo shows a real triangle upper wishbone supported by which I imagine are alu blocks. In "Race and Rally Car Source Book" you can see (page 220) the same thing (same car, I guess) in Ian Scott's car.

As Ned (correctly) states "in race cars the stresses on the joints are under acceleration and braking, hence the rose joints are orientated the way they are so the bearings can't 'pop out' under huge braking loads". But here we are not talking about rose joints but "bolt-ended" wishbone traingles.

So, in the case pictured in the attachement, considering that you should not have rotating, moment or fore and after loads against the alu blocks, how should the bushes (which? mounted how?) deal with the extremities of the wishbone triangles?

Joćo

[Edited on 15/10/04 by jcduroc] Rescued attachment Img_00761.jpg
Rescued attachment Img_00761.jpg

JCM

dozracing

posted on 15/10/04 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Terrapin,

You should put the bolts in round the other way by the looks of things on the forward leg of the top wishbones.

Bolts on cars should always point to the ground (ask Damon Hill). If the nuts fall off then the bolts dont drop out because gravity holds them in. Williams forgot this practice at Silverstone one year, and Damon paid the price, during the warming up lap for a qualifying run, the bolts dropped out, and the wishbones fell off!

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Terrapin_racing

posted on 18/10/04 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Not my car Darren, just an example from my photo archives - you are very correct though. Well spotted!
Terrapin_racing

posted on 18/10/04 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I always thought the alloy blocks incorporated bearings?
I'll see if I can catch Allan to ask him

You have to remember that this is some 30 years ago also!

[Edited on 18/10/04 by Terrapin_racing]

jcduroc

posted on 18/10/04 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terrapin_racing
I always thought the alloy blocks incorporated bearings?
I'll see if I can catch Allan to ask him

You have to remember that this is some 30 years ago also!

Thank you Rob

Couldn't we ask Gordon Murray about Brabham BT49D front suspension? (just kidding...)

JCM

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.