Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fast Diesel!
coozer

posted on 23/7/13 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Fast Diesel!

May have posted this before but I just cannot get over the speed of this thing!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Daddylonglegs

posted on 23/7/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

tomgregory2000

posted on 23/7/13 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
That's acceleration and a half
dave_424

posted on 23/7/13 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I like this, not bad for a 20 year old car with a manual gearbox. Very likely still running on the stock gearbox and diff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R6PJA9tb66E

[Edited on 23/7/13 by dave_424]

rdodger

posted on 23/7/13 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
He seems to have removed the particle filter!
jossey

posted on 24/7/13 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'm surprised more people don't use diesels in locosts etc. the 325d engine is rapid

I guess it's the sound which puts people off

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 24/7/13 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
And the weight, plus, i beleive all of the engines are very tall

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jossey

posted on 24/7/13 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
And the weight, plus, i beleive all of the engines are very tall

Ohhhhhh I assumed the bimmer petrol n Diesel engines would be similar sizes

Thanks

David Johnson

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 24/7/13 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
^^ diesel's are almost always bigger & heavier
(and BMW petrols arn't small to start with...)

the moden ones might be good in a tin-top, but do you really want a low reving turbo'd engine for a sports car ?
and even if you do - you've then got to deal with the modern ECU and varible geometry turbo (and all the other complex bis that seem to be the cause of 90% of breakdowns these days) or you junk that and go back to the old fashoned diesels with lots of turbo lag or only a small boost...

[Edited on 24/7/2013 by mcerd1]

-

jossey

posted on 24/7/13 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
Diesel's are almost always bigger & heavier (and BMW petrols arn't small to start with...)

the moden ones might be good in a tin-top, but do you really want a low reving turbo'd engine for a sports car ?
and even if you do - you've then got to deal with the modern ECU and varible geometry turbo (and all the other complex bis that seem to be the cause of 90% of breakdowns these days) or you junk that and go back to the old fashoned diesels with lots of turbo lag or only a small boost...

Neither of those sound easy or fun.
That said a 330d BMW engine would be good if it could be fitted n wired up. The torque is immense

Well ill stick to running diesel tin tops n try get my tiger finished then.

Thanks

David Johnson

blakep82

posted on 24/7/13 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
quote:
Diesel's are almost always bigger & heavier (and BMW petrols arn't small to start with...)

Neither of those sound easy or fun.
That said a 330d BMW engine would be good if it could be fitted n wired up. The torque is immense

Well ill stick to running diesel tin tops n try get my tiger finished then.

Benzine on here is doing it! And it works great

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mcerd1

posted on 24/7/13 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

and fair play to him

I'd never say 'it can't be done' especially when you look at what some folk on this site have achieved already...
but personally I didn't even waant to deal with the bog std. EFI on my pinto, so I junked all of it and buoght some bike carb's

-

coozer

posted on 24/7/13 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Don't forget the diesel Westfield as featured in PPC.

Heres the build thread..

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=247471

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 24/7/13 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

and fair play to him

I'd never say 'it can't be done' especially when you look at what some folk on this site have achieved already...
but personally I didn't even waant to deal with the bog std. EFI on my pinto, so I junked all of it and buoght some bike carb's

Same here. I stripped everything electronic off my vauxhall x20xev and went for simplicity. Its got 2 sensors on it now, and that it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mcerd1

posted on 24/7/13 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey

another way to look at that is a light weight car with the right gears shouldn't need that much torque

take a light weight engined car producing the same power to weight but probably with alot less torque,
with the right gearing could give you very similar performance in a strait line, but when it comes to breaking and cornering the lighter car will have the advantage in most conditions...

but then changing gears all the time in traffic with the leight weight car could get a bit tiresome - at the end of the day its just the one that suits you best

[Edited on 24/7/2013 by mcerd1]

-

coozer

posted on 24/7/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
And now I'm looking at Audi A4's and thinking of a mid inline engined 2 seater ... DOH!

Any examples of this? Theres a nice A8 4L V8 TDI engine on the bay.. I think that would like building your own Le Mans car!

Cant believe none of the manufacturers haven't come up with something???

How about this for donor?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-AUDI-A4-2-5-TDI-QUATTRO-SE-ESTATE-BLUE-180bhp-FSH-1-Previous-Owner-/121147938495?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c34fad 6bf

OR this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-AUDI-A4-SE-TDI-SILVER-DAMAGED-SALVAGE-B7-DIESEL-ESTATE-6-SPEED-MANUAL-81K-/300938417693?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item 461153d61d

[Edited on 24/7/13 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 24/7/13 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
And now I'm looking at Audi A4's and thinking of a mid inline engined 2 seater ... DOH!

Any examples of this? Theres a nice A8 4L V8 TDI engine on the bay.. I think that would like building your own Le Mans car!

Cant believe none of the manufacturers haven't come up with something???

How about this for donor?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-AUDI-A4-2-5-TDI-QUATTRO-SE-ESTATE-BLUE-180bhp-FSH-1-Previous-Owner-/121147938495?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c34fad 6bf

OR this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-AUDI-A4-SE-TDI-SILVER-DAMAGED-SALVAGE-B7-DIESEL-ESTATE-6-SPEED-MANUAL-81K-/300938417693?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item 461153d61d

[Edited on 24/7/13 by coozer]

Not sure the quattro gearbox would be much good for a middy, but otherwise something I've very much been thinking myself for a little while now.
Nice audi v8 in a group c le mans type car... mmm

mcerd1

posted on 24/7/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
well the pertrol V8 + A4 box has been done in an esprit, so maybe you could build the diesel version

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.