Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Black Ops II (rated 18) for a 15 year old - or not?
Rosco

posted on 25/7/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Black Ops II (rated 18) for a 15 year old - or not?

May sound like a stupid question.

My 15 yeare old Son is aksing to have Call Of Duty - Black Ops II for his PS3. It's rated 18 and apparently all of his mates have if. I've held the line about not having 18 rates games so far but feel under pressure and wonder whether I'm being a prude.

Apparently playing it on-line, which is what he want to do, the language and gore is toned down.

Any experience of this game and thoughts on whether it's suitable for a 15 year old, or general thoughts on 18 rated games and kids.

Thanks

Ninehigh

posted on 25/7/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I imagine he's played it already at his mates

jacko

posted on 25/7/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
A hard one this i bet he plays it with his mates if you say no
but 18 is 18 not 15 for a reason

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fha772

posted on 25/7/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
My 10 year old plays it, but not online, and you can turn off the gore and bad language in the settings.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

olimarler

posted on 25/7/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Tbh most 15 year olds play it prob younger and are used to the language and violence in it

But the x teacher and parent in me says once you say no say no lol.

Rent it first and watch him play it if you agree go and buy it

Oli

dave_424

posted on 25/7/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I played many games that were rated for more than my age (I'm 20 so they were some of the more recent games, not pong..) I feel like I was a good child who understood the line between games and reality, so anything that I saw or did was just in the game and meant nothing more.

I would say go for it if the child is sensible and of a good mind. One thing though is that there is often bad language and harassment from other players over their microphone when playing online. If the child is playing it within the vicinity of you, you can set the console so that voice chat comes out through the TV so you would be able to easily hear if people are saying things that you are not happy with.

Dave

deezee

posted on 25/7/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Depends I suppose. Personally I hate all the kids playing these games as their squeaky voices shouting obscenities is pretty much par for the course now. I've yet to play a round of the game without suffering some of the most brutal and graphic swearing I've ever heard. Its the same on Battlefield 3 and most shooters.

I'd say the game itself is on par with any action film for violence. Shooting someone point blank with a shotgun just kills em, its not a gore fest or anything. You do get some blood, but not massively graphic. Its the language I'd be concerned about, which I won't repeat on here. But sexist, homophobic, racist language is the norm.

Mr C

posted on 25/7/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
My son's been playing the 18 rated games for a good while now, he's 16, probably since he was 12 or so. As long as he is sensible about it I see no problem with it. I would monitor usage overall though and ensure that school work etc take precidence over the PS3 limit use during the week as well, other wise he will rush his homework to get on the thing. Don't think twice about banning it for long periods of time if it get's out of hand or other things are neglected.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

nick205

posted on 25/7/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Difficult situation, but several things come to mind....

1. He's already played it with his mates otherwise he wouldn't be asking for it.

2. He'll still play it with his mates if you say no to a copy at home.

3. At least he's asked - he could probably get it anyway if he really wanted to.

4. If he's playing it at home you have some visibility of what he's doing.

I'd still struggle with the actual response though

theduck

posted on 25/7/13 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Would you buy him a copy of an 18 rated film?

Whatever the answer to that it should be the answer to your question as to me there is no difference.

jossey

posted on 25/7/13 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ye it's ok he will just play it elsewhere.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 25/7/13 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
do you think he would be shocked by the content or unable to cope with the difference between reality and a game? if no then i would say he is mature enough to have it.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

SteveWalker

posted on 25/7/13 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck

Whatever the answer to that it should be the answer to your question as to me there is no difference.

The trouble with that comparison is that there are many films where the age rating seems somewhat arbitrary. I have seen 15 films that I would be quite happy to let my 7 and 9 year olds watch and PGs that I certainly wouldn't! Many films that were given an 18 rating in the past would rate no more than a 15 or maybe even a 12 these days.

Whether the same is true of games, I don't know, as I've never been a gamer and my kids are still on the kids stuff.

morcus

posted on 25/7/13 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
When I was a teenager we all had 18 rated games, and some of them I think were probably worse in someways than what we have now, just the graphics weren't as good. Personally though I think if I had kids I wouldn't buy them 18 rated games, especially if I'd already said no.

I personally doubt it would do him any harm.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

bi22le

posted on 25/7/13 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
As a massive gamer I think you are missing a big ppint, or this already happens and you are aware of it. If he gets the game and goes online he will not want to do anything else. These games are by far the most addictive thing i have ever experienced. He will play it all night and sleep all day.

Regarding the gore and violence. At 15 I will be surprised if he has not already been exposed to it. So I would not be concerned.
Its just the complete shut down of social interaction that would concern me.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

tomprescott

posted on 26/7/13 at 03:47 AM Reply With Quote
I would imagine the average fifteen year old (at least where I come from!) is going to do something much worse than play an 18-rated game - if anything, get him more games so he stays inside and in sight, better that than hanging around outside the local supermarket swearing at old ladies...

Personally I don't agree with the "violent video games make people violent" argument, so from that perspective I wouldn't even worry about turning off the gore. There's an interesting article on the guardian (I think) about how games get their age rating and it seems pretty subjective and based on the way actions are displayed, not what the action actually is (mentions burning lara croft, and how it doesn't get 18-rated because her skin doesn't deform under the flame) so I would take the ratings with a pinch of salt.

A bird in the hand....

trikerneil

posted on 26/7/13 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
My 15 year old could become quite anti-social after sessions on COD, nothing a week's ban didn't sort out.
A year on and he's moved on.
He spends a lot of time out with his mates now, which is more worrying for his mother.

Parenting eh?

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

fesycresy

posted on 26/7/13 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
My lad had COD at 7 years old, he's 12 now, not sure what version we're on now, but ALL his mates have it.

When they go live (x box live = on line with their friends) the shouting and arguing gets worse.

He's limited to the hours he can play, some of his mates will be on it from the time they wake up until the time they go to bed. They get addicted.

Just buy it and surprise him, there's a good dad

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

mcerd1

posted on 26/7/13 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
when I was 15 my parents were having the same discusions about GTA and doom2 lol (although the 18 ratings on them were a bit of a joke)
mind you we watched plenty of 18 rated films too...

as others have said, if you don't get it, he'll still play it somewhere - but the biggr problem is if he gets totaly adicted to games in general (and they don't need to be 18 rated ones)

a few years back I went round to my parents house while they were away and found my 17 year old wee brother had his mates round for a bbq (about 9 - 10 of them)
the weather was perfect and my parents garden is quite big so I was expecting to find them outside enjoying the sun and probably ~4 to 8 beers in (thats what I was doing at that age )
instead I found them all inside, with all the curtains shut and 4 TV's & Xbox's linked together playing COD

[Edited on 26/7/2013 by mcerd1]

-

theduck

posted on 26/7/13 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
Originally posted by theduck

The trouble with that comparison is that there are many films where the age rating seems somewhat arbitrary. I have seen 15 films that I would be quite happy to let my 7 and 9 year olds watch and PGs that I certainly wouldn't! Many films that were given an 18 rating in the past would rate no more than a 15 or maybe even a 12 these days.

Whether the same is true of games, I don't know, as I've never been a gamer and my kids are still on the kids stuff.

Thy was kind of my point. I expected the answer would be, it depends on the film, and parental discretion should be the same for games as it is with films IMO.

Smoking Frog

posted on 26/7/13 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
If your son has respect, it's up to you, he will listen to you no matter what you decide. If he's a little tearaway that hangs around street corners and has no respect, say no. Only you know how much slack he deserves. Maybe hang on for a bit longer before you cave-in. Is there a birthday coming up? Compromise is a good thing for parent and child.
Strontium Dog

posted on 26/7/13 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I've never taken any notice of age ratings on games or films. I have taken the time to make sure my daughter understands the difference between reality and make believe through.

Zephyr is nearly 13 and has recently (over many, many hours) written and illustrated a complex series of Manga comics. I doubt she would have if I hadn't let her see films and play games that have 18 ratings. She is mature, well balanced and confident in herself and has no problem understanding right from wrong or real from made up.

Each person is different, you know how mature your lad is and you'll soon see if there's any adverse reactions to playing COD if you get it for him (which you should!) and then you can restrict his access to it if necessary which is unlikely!

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.